Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Packing for bootcamp
Last Post 23 Apr 2016 06:27 PM by SchoonerBum. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
WillyP363

--
23 Mar 2016 07:10 PM
    I am off to Cape May for basic training next Tuesday, March 29.

I am in the process of getting everything ready to go.  In the helmsman under permitted items, it lists 3 white v neck t shirt and also 6 to 10 white underpants (boxer brief i prefer).
    Do you recommend getting these before I leave or to buy them at the exchange at cape may?  I had a friend who finished bootcamp who said not to bring anything except your documentation and helmsman.
    When is the first opportunity to visit the exchange?  I don't want to be wearing the same pair of underwear for days..
    My recruiter said the credit/debit card machine at the exchange is very slow and it will waste valuable time.  I plan on bringing around $70 cash is that enough for the duration of bootcamp? 

Thanks in advance,
    Will

P.S.

Can anyone recommend a good watch for bootcamp?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    23 Mar 2016 10:25 PM
    Just bring the stuff to boot camp.
    Any watch that is fairly plain and tells correct time is a good watch for boot camp.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    23 Mar 2016 11:23 PM
    Take what the helmsmen says to take.
    modernwarfare

--
    24 Mar 2016 07:43 AM
    bring black boot socks, the ones they give you are terrible and won't help with the blisters you will get. buy everything you want ahead of time. get a basic black digital watch that is water resistant, you might end up showering with it. get a lint roller at the exchange and extra blousing straps.
    HammerheaD

--
    24 Mar 2016 08:45 AM
    The only mandatory uniform items that they didn't supply us with were V-necks and underwear. If you get blisters easily then I agree with modernwarfare. However, you can only have 5 or 6 pairs of each color sock ready to go and folded in their spot in your rack, so for me all of the extra socks I brought just ended up taking up more room in my ditty bag. It wasn't a huge deal, but would have saved me time each day had I not needed to deal with them..... As far as a good watch; I recommend something that either has a warranty, or is a cheap, digital, water resistant Casio or something simple. Just make sure its black, and isn't huge..... Our company had issues with frequently checking their watches during IT and "remedial instruction," so all of us that weren't company Yeoman, squad bay leaders, or watch coordinators weren't allowed to wear them anymore. Good luck.
    cgsaga

--
    25 Mar 2016 10:34 AM
    I bought a lot of my stuff months ago via amazon and I leave the week after you do, I just wanted one less thing to worry about when I arrive. From what I've been told, the options at the store are very minimal, so the idea that I have a choice and getting what can make me feel a little more comfortable during a very uncomfortable 8 weeks is sort of reassuring. Good luck!
    WillyP363

--
    25 Mar 2016 11:07 AM
    thanks for all the replies, i appreciate it!

I bought 2 five pack of white boxer briefs from amazon a few days ago, they should be arriving today. I will probably go to target and get socks and v-neck shirts before I leave. Probably a good razor and toothbrush as well just in case the one they issue you at bootcamp isn't that good
    ab.luis04

--
    25 Mar 2016 02:34 PM
    definitely good razors, one of the petty officers at the recruiting office I go was talking about how the razors they got there are not really good. So a couple of good razors just in case. I'll have to buy a pack of them because of all the stupid facial hair I grow. Good Luck!
    HammerheaD

--
    25 Mar 2016 03:35 PM
    A lot of people find the razors they issue you to be pretty crappy, and bought a nice one beforre they left. After our company formed our CC's actually took us to the CGX and suggested that we buy a nice razor. They do have a decent selection there, but if you have something in particular you use then buy it before you go, along with a few boxes of replacement blades.
    Gabe474

--
    26 Mar 2016 10:20 AM
    The copy of the Helmsman we have says to bring no more than $50 in small bills. Has this changed?
    modernwarfare

--
    26 Mar 2016 06:09 PM
    You will have opportunities to go to the ATM, but if you want to bring cash, you can bring what you think you will need and keep it in your wallet and put it in your rack. things you will need money for include company coin, company t shirt or hoodies, picture of yourself in Bravos, money you spend on liberty for cab and food, ect, buying stuff at the exchange.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    26 Mar 2016 10:42 PM
    Posted By modernwarfare on 26 Mar 2016 06:09 PM
    things you will need money for include company coin, company t shirt or hoodies, picture of yourself in Bravos, money you spend on liberty for cab and food, ect, buying stuff at the exchange.

how much does all that stuff cost? im sure on the way to boot and during liberty you can just use your bank card so thats no problem but i would definitely want to bring enough cash to buy all the neat little things i can.

what else can you buy to remember youre peaceful 8 week vacation??
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    27 Mar 2016 10:39 AM
    My son took 80 dollars with him. I don't know what he spent in the Exchange, but he bought a set of his pictures. Make sure you buy enough for your loved ones, he bought company T-Shirts and Sweat Shirts for the family and spent money on Liberty.
    WillyP363

--
    29 Mar 2016 08:18 AM
    Just swore in at MEPS! Feels real good!! I am excited to start this new journey in my life.
    Waiting to go to the airport. Thanks again for everyones support.

Will
    SchoonerBum

--
    23 Apr 2016 06:27 PM
    I highly recommend that you get 6 pair Good black boot socks (toes and heels can have some discoloration, nothing above the boot top), and 6 pair Good white cotton crew socks. These will save your feet. Change your socks daily.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement