Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New to this Forum...OLD Coastie...
Last Post 14 Apr 2016 12:12 PM by Old Guard2. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
RM2Mac

--
05 Apr 2016 01:16 PM
    Greeting fellow Coasties, Served 1969-1974, Radioman 2nd Class, was on the USCGC Boutwell, USCGC Chase, and Group Boston. Loved my time in the CG, and today I work for US Customs and Border Protection, at DHS. Stopped by to see if I can be of some help, and if I can contribute. To this day I occasionally work with the USCG. Grew up on the Northshore of Boston, near two CG stations. Always wanted to join the CG and did after High School. No regrets. Semper Paratus.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Apr 2016 01:35 PM
    Welcome aboard RM2, glad to have you here. Jump in on anything, share some sea stories, always room for another Coastie.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Apr 2016 07:09 PM
    Welcome aboard! Don't know if you were aware but Boutwell was just decommed last month
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    RM2Mac

--
    11 Apr 2016 11:17 AM
    Yes, I was aware, I work for DHS now, and still work with the CG. I was on the Boutwell for a very short TDY (One Ocean Station) just before I got out. I was on the USCGC Chase for over 2 years, and was there when she waa Decom'd. The Captain presented me with a CG Ensign that flew as she was Decom'd. It's a shame to see these ships being decommissioned, as they were so sleek and new. Going to miss them.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Apr 2016 12:09 PM
    My son has been aboard the Seneca and the Midgett so far. He loved both boats. Right now he is at Sector NY. He likes it... He wants to be back on the water. The boy has salt water in his veins. He really believes, for him, underway is the only way. He is an OS... next gen RM's. I had a very good friend, way back in the day, that was an RM on the Storis. That was some 30 years ago. Funny how it seems like yesterday.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    RM2Mac

--
    12 Apr 2016 12:34 PM
    Ah, the days of Ocean Stations, where you would sit in the north Atlantic for 40 days or so, to a point the guy next to you looked better and better. Actually, I loved to be at sea, and would I love to go on one more patrol. I missed shipboard living, you learn a lot about others and yourself. I can understand why he likes it so much. RMs were a special breed, as we lived and breathed the code. Love to copy even today, I still copy about 16 WPM. Something you will never forget, too bad the OS does not know the code, worse yet, an OS will never wear the "Sparks". I was at Chesapeake when the last CW signal was sent out, make old RMS were there it was very special.... 73... QRU AR
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Apr 2016 12:46 PM
    My ex is a 30 year Coastie. He has never been assigned to a ship once. He was always at MSD'd, MSO's, Sectors, Headquarters or District command. He has his shrimp fork but our son has his permanent Cutterman's Pin. I don't think Colin would trade that for a shrimp fork ever. When Colin graduated A School his father was there. (Well we were both there but dad in uniform, too.) Even the CO was making fun of my ex saying nice shrimp fork, look at your son with the Cutterman pin, that's the one to have. We were all laughing.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    RM2Mac

--
    14 Apr 2016 07:21 AM
    Coincidence, my name is Collin too (two LL's). Going to sea is the DNA, father was Navy during WWII, he joined in 1938, served both Atlantic and Pacific Theaters. Best of luck to Colin. Going to sea is boring and exciting, but most of all peaceful.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Apr 2016 12:12 PM
    I think what he likes best is the instant camaraderie you have with your shipmates. I think it exists more on a ship than at a station. At a station, you all go home at the end of the day, work is over and that's that. But on a ship, you live 3 feet away from the other guy for an extended period of time and you go through so much together, good or bad. At least comparing my ex-husband's career and my son's career, that seems to be the greater attraction going to a ship. When my ex & I married, no Coasties were at our wedding. When my son married his beautiful bride there were several, many of them flying in from now distant ports to be there. Including his best man and one of the groomsmen. But again, they had that constantly with you experience.

Nice to meet you Collin.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement