Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ME Reserves out of Miami?
Last Post 30 Apr 2016 04:35 PM by CPORJM. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CBPGuy91

--
29 Apr 2016 11:42 AM
    Good afternoon all,

I have been reading many threads on this forum for about a week now. I am very interested in joining the Coast Guard Reserves as an ME out of the Miami area. 

I am 25 years old and a sworn law enforcement officer with US Customs and Border Protection for approximately 3 years now. I am looking to get some training and experiences with the Coast Guard to achieve one of my goals of becoming a Marine Interdiction Agent. (Job info: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/435830800/). One of the requirements is to have either: Master's License, OUPV License, or Deck Mate License (+/- 200 tons). Is this doable as a ME reserve?

Also, what do you do as an ME reserve out of Miami during your drill days? Do you go to base on non drill days for additional training? 

I would appreciate any and all information I can get! Thank you!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    29 Apr 2016 12:05 PM
    Greetings..You won't get any licenses (i.e Master's, mate,etc) as an ME, and certainly not as a Reservist. As for your duties, that depends on where you're assigned. An ME at a small boat station, will be doing different things than an ME at Sector Miami. As for going in on non duty days, that's up to you, but you don't get paid for those days. You will earn retirement points, which are extremely important if you're going to do a career. The other thing to know is that you need to find out if there's even any ME vacancies in the Miami area. Unlike active duty, Reservists are recruited to fill specific positions. If there are no positions, you can't recruit to them.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    29 Apr 2016 10:06 PM
    I'm thinking a tactical BM position may be best. I work in Florida and could check if that position exists in Miami, it won't be till Monday though.
    CBPGuy91

--
    30 Apr 2016 12:35 AM
    Posted By CPORJM on 29 Apr 2016 01:05 PM
    Greetings..You won't get any licenses (i.e Master's, mate,etc) as an ME, and certainly not as a Reservist. As for your duties, that depends on where you're assigned. An ME at a small boat station, will be doing different things than an ME at Sector Miami. As for going in on non duty days, that's up to you, but you don't get paid for those days. You will earn retirement points, which are extremely important if you're going to do a career. The other thing to know is that you need to find out if there's even any ME vacancies in the Miami area. Unlike active duty, Reservists are recruited to fill specific positions. If there are no positions, you can't recruit to them.

Thank you for your input. I just searched and found out that there are no ME positions available, however I did see that there was an IV3 and an IV2. From what I read on this forum, I may or may not qualify as an IV. I will start researching some more information about that rate.
    CBPGuy91

--
    30 Apr 2016 12:37 AM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 29 Apr 2016 11:06 PM
    I'm thinking a tactical BM position may be best. I work in Florida and could check if that position exists in Miami, it won't be till Monday though.

When you say Tactical BM, do you mean a BM on a team like TACLET/MSRT/MSST?

Thanks for looking into it for me!
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Apr 2016 06:21 AM
    I'm really not entirely sure. From what I understand, at the (Port Security Units) They are involved in law enforcement missions and receive training to carry out responsibilities they would face when pursuing vessels and protecting ports. As a BM you would also be the coxswain driving the boat so maybe a start to one of the licenses you were talking about? Thats my thought process. Im sure a BM or reservist will clarify what I'm trying to say.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 Apr 2016 04:35 PM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 30 Apr 2016 07:21 AM
    I'm really not entirely sure. From what I understand, at the (Port Security Units) They are involved in law enforcement missions and receive training to carry out responsibilities they would face when pursuing vessels and protecting ports. As a BM you would also be the coxswain driving the boat so maybe a start to one of the licenses you were talking about? Thats my thought process. Im sure a BM or reservist will clarify what I'm trying to say.

PSU's aren't involved in LE, but rather security of US Naval assets when those assets deploy
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement