Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
"100-Mile" Rule?
Last Post 08 May 2016 04:57 PM by Old Guard2. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DavePep

--
07 May 2016 01:03 PM
    I can't seem to find anything recent on here about this, but does the "100-Mile" rule still hold to this day? That your first station after basic has to be 100 miles from your home?

My only concern regarding that is that I have a car loan right now and wherever my first station is I'd prefer to take my car.

I'm going to be asking for a 270 in D1 but there's only five of them and all of them are within 100 miles of where I live (SE MA), so I assume I'm not getting what I'm asking for.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! 
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 May 2016 02:23 PM
    It was never a rule, just a general guideline. If you ask for a 270' in D1 you could end up on a 270' in D5 or D7. So you might get what you ask for just not where you want to be.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    07 May 2016 04:49 PM
    You can take your car wherever you go wether close or far.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 May 2016 09:35 PM
    Where did this come from? I have a friend that was from a NY/PA border town, but ended up in Chicago. I'm pretty sure that's more than 100 miles
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 May 2016 11:55 PM
    Chief, it is sort of an unwritten thing. They PREFER not to station new recruits within100 miles of home. Too easy to fall back until your home friends and not establish a military lifestyle. The OP in this thread would like to be stationed within that 100 mile radius, presumably to be able to visit his vehicle??? That part I'm confused on, he can take his car anywhere he goes...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    DavePep

--
    08 May 2016 07:08 AM
    Thank you all for your replies!

Old Guard, I realize now that I didn't clarify much in my OP. I just figured if I got somewhere, say Florida for example, that they'd fly me down instead of allowing time to take my car. I just don't want to burden my parents by leaving it in their driveway. I'm still paying for it so I want to be able to drive it when time permits.

I know I should've discussed this with my recruiter, but I like to leave him alone on the weekends... And I ship Tuesday.  

I just want a 270' in D1 because I want to be stationed in Boston or Maine (actually, just New England in general). It has nothing to do with staying close to home either, those are just two places I feel like I would love to be at as a nonrate. 

I know most of you would advise against it, and that I should see the rest of the country. I don't necessarily disagree, it's just my first choice, which I probably won't get anyway. And that's still fine with me. I joined knowing I could be put anywhere.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    08 May 2016 08:29 AM
    you can drive to wherever your first station is and i advise you do or pay to ship your car or something. youre gonna want a car to move around. they give you your leave time which youve earned after boot camp and then you get an extra day per i think 350 miles of travel. i read some place on here where they reimburse you for your travel expenses also or just calculate how much youll have to spend and pay you or whatever.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 May 2016 09:36 AM
    Op, you can drive to your first unit regardless of where it is. If you get orders to a small boat station on the west coast, your orders will reflect you driving across country and you'll be paid and be given travel time to get there. Don't sweat it, everything will be explained when you get to that point in boot camp.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    08 May 2016 12:14 PM
    Good luck over the next eight weeks.
    DavePep

--
    08 May 2016 12:26 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 08 May 2016 12:14 PM
    Good luck over the next eight weeks.

Thank you! Could not be more excited! 

And thanks to Gears and AG for even more help!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 May 2016 04:57 PM
    The 350 miles per day is estimated from Cape May. So if you get Seattle you get 9 additional days on top of your leave. My son was on the Seneca, a 270 out of Boston, as a nonrate. He LOVED it. He would agree it is a great place to be a nonrate. But then anywhere will give you a great Coastie education. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes and where you're headed.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement