Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Medical Hold for Shin Splints
Last Post 10 May 2016 03:07 PM by modernwarfare. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Paterfamilias

--
08 May 2016 08:24 PM
    Hi,
    My son was in Uniform 192 completing week 3 of boot camp. He called and told us that his shin splints flared up and he was put on medical hold. He said that one doc told him that if he isn't better in a week they will send him home! Another Doc told him that he is willing to work with him for a while. This is unfortunate because he said he was doing really well other than this. I know there has been similar topics covered in this forum but they were a couple of years ago. Maybe policies have changed since then.

My question is twofold: 
    First, I have read that the CG will work with you however long it takes to get better then you can rejoin another company. But they told my son that they would send him home if he isn't better in a week. It is not like shin splints are a debilitating problem that cannot be corrected. Anybody have any insight on this? What factors in to how they handle his case?

Second, what does it mean to be sent home? Is that a medical discharge? Can he get healed and start again? Does he have to start all over again? I read somewhere in this forum about a convalescent leave option where he would be sent home to heal then return to boot camp to continue. Is that a possibility?

Thanks,
    modernwarfare

--
    09 May 2016 09:36 AM
    Someone in my company had been in RHE for the same. things like this are not uncommon and if he goes back into company it is possible he will have to go back told RHE and to another company. You start running in USCG Basic training from the moment you wake up and your body is tight from the day before, lack of stretching really does a number on you. i never ran before i started training 6 months before basic, except like to the mail box, and my shins killed me so i had to gradually get myself where i needed to be. and in basic i would stretch in my rack every night and encourage others too as well. worst comes to worst and he is discharged, he will be back in six months, and hopefully he learns ways to help his condition. prehaps you can look up some ideas for him to try and write a letter to help encourage him, good luck!
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    09 May 2016 07:32 PM
    If he gets discharged don't expect to come back any time soon. These injuries are exactly why people need to prepare for boot camp adequately. If you can relay advice to him, it would be to stay there as long as they will keep him. Shin splints shouldn't take long to recover from and I can't see why they would discharge him over it, but they can. I hope it works out well.
    Paterfamilias

--
    09 May 2016 10:31 PM
    Good News! After a few days of Physical therapy and hanging at RHE my son was put back into a new company. He will now be in Victor 192. He said he was feeling good and he will continue to have daily PT, icing and be on anti-inflammatory meds.

This post was not really about shin splints. That was just his mode of injury. I was really interested in what it meant to be sent home? Is that always a discharge? Is it hard to try again later? What is the decision process to decide to treat the injury v.s. sending the recruit home?

Thanks,
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    10 May 2016 12:58 AM
    My reply wasn't specifically aimed at shin splints. With medical issues its really up to the staff at Cape May to come to a decision of wether or not the recruit can continue. Something simple like shin splints shouldn't and wasn't a big issue in this case. If recruits get a medical discharge that could mean a few different things, everyone's situation is different. When you get sent home that is a discharge, what type will be determined by what happened. If a recruit is discharged from boot camp, no recruiter will put them back in, even if "technically" they can with a waiver. Preparation is key to success at boot camp.
    modernwarfare

--
    10 May 2016 03:07 PM
    I went to basic with someone who got a nasty ear infection and medical made a mistake and thought it was something beyond a ear infection and very serious and discharged him but it really wasn't serious and healed up a couple days after he left then he shipped back six months later and is now on the A school list. But my recruiters refused to send back anyone who quit or failed the pt test because they flat out weren't prepared. I really hope your son makes it through, and takes the extra time spent there as but a bump in the road!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement