Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DEPOT Program
Last Post 11 Jul 2016 04:27 PM by AirDale13. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
zack22

--
11 May 2016 05:10 PM
    i am looking at joining the Coast Guard and my recruiter said I may be eligible for the DEPOT Program because I have been an aircraft mechanic (A&P) for several years in the civilian world. I have tried researching what the DEPOT Program is and cannot get a good explanation. If you guys could break down what this program is about I would greatly appreciate it.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 May 2016 05:40 PM
    DEPOT is an abbreviated boot camp (3 weeks) and is designed for folks who are prior service and are coming into the Coast Guard, or Reservists who have civilian job skills that translate into a CG job. Unless something has changed, DEPOT is not for non prior service who are enlisting in the active duty CG.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    zack22

--
    11 May 2016 05:52 PM
    That's what I was wondering, but he knows I'm not prior service. That's why I was confused.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    11 May 2016 08:24 PM
    I was in the same spot as you and was told DEPOT was only for reserves with no prior. I chose to start from the bottom and and went active.
    zack22

--
    12 May 2016 07:04 AM
    Posted By stealthtt24 on 11 May 2016 08:24 PM
    I was in the same spot as you and was told DEPOT was only for reserves with no prior. I chose to start from the bottom and and went active.

It really stinks having years of working on aircraft just to start all over though, not to even touch an aircraft for two years or more. I was hoping there was a way for a civilian with the experience to be able to do some direct route to AMT A school, but it sure doesn't sound like it.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    12 May 2016 07:59 PM
    How old are you? And were you considering reserves? That's the only reason you would go to DEPOT.....
    zack22

--
    22 May 2016 12:53 PM
    I am 27 and no, I cannot do the reserves due to not being close to the coast. Thats what I thought though, I was wondering where my recruiter got that from.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    22 May 2016 03:12 PM
    So if you're going active duty you may be able to come in as an AMT3. It is currently critical. Because you have no prior service and going active duty you should go to full boot camp. That's what should happen. Your recruiter is probably thinking if you come in as an AMT3 you would qualify for DEPOT. Technically that's true; however, you would be best served doing the full boot camp as DEPOTs primary audience is prior service and reservists with full time professions. He will most likely waste time trying to figure out if he can send you to DEPOT because I'm pretty sure it will be a no. He shouldn't worry about that and just get you qualified and send up a rate determination package for AMT3. That's how I would do things. FYI: Just because you have your A&P license doesn't mean you won't be starting at the bottom in aviation. Even coming in straight as an AMT3 it will take time to get your qualifications and start flying. Good luck.
    zack22

--
    22 May 2016 05:26 PM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 22 May 2016 03:12 PM
    So if you're going active duty you may be able to come in as an AMT3. It is currently critical. Because you have no prior service and going active duty you should go to full boot camp. That's what should happen. Your recruiter is probably thinking if you come in as an AMT3 you would qualify for DEPOT. Technically that's true; however, you would be best served doing the full boot camp as DEPOTs primary audience is prior service and reservists with full time professions. He will most likely waste time trying to figure out if he can send you to DEPOT because I'm pretty sure it will be a no. He shouldn't worry about that and just get you qualified and send up a rate determination package for AMT3. That's how I would do things. FYI: Just because you have your A&P license doesn't mean you won't be starting at the bottom in aviation. Even coming in straight as an AMT3 it will take time to get your qualifications and start flying. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the information, it was along the lines of what I was thinking. Honestly, I do not Jesse airily mind starting from the bottom. To be copletely honest I know I am wanting to be in aviation, because I have already been in it for years and love it. I would hate to go to basic, en have to wait to even put my name on the a school list. I know that is selfish, but I just know what I want. Thank you.
    hmsailor

--
    09 Jul 2016 01:25 AM
    Hello. i dont mean to hijack the thread but since its the same topic, i might as well insert my question here for a learning experience.

I also recently inquired about joining the CG active Duty. Im also a 6yr AD prior service Navy Corpsman. The recruiter told me that DEPOT was my option. Im 35 now and with a constructive age waiver, recruiter said that they would minus 5yrs from my age which would make me 30. He said that 31 is the max age for DEPOT but when I checked the website, it indicates max age of 32. Im also curious on how many applicants are accepted per class and how often do they class up per month or year. Ive been working with a Navy recruiter for a year now and halfway thru the process but its still an unsure deal. I could get denied reenlistment. I dont want to wait too long and miss an opportunity with the Coastguard.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    09 Jul 2016 01:43 AM
    Age isn't really a concern for DEPOT, don't worry about it, we send 39 year olds to it. What you need to worry about is that 6 years of active duty. If you have 6 years or more of active service you are ineligible to join unless your rating transfers to the USCG.
    hmsailor

--
    10 Jul 2016 04:29 PM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 09 Jul 2016 01:43 AM
    Age isn't really a concern for DEPOT, don't worry about it, we send 39 year olds to it. What you need to worry about is that 6 years of active duty. If you have 6 years or more of active service you are ineligible to join unless your rating transfers to the USCG.

im glad to hear that age isnt an issue. however if 6 years is an issue for me, why did the recruiter offer me a few available ratings with bonuses and why does the USCG.com DEPOT webpage indicate a max age of 32? im just a little lost here.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    11 Jul 2016 04:27 PM
    Maybe he thinks you can come in as an HS? You will need to ask. Some recruiters are new and don't know every little thing. Happened to me too. I found out deep into the process with a prior service applicant and after 3 months had to break the news. This is the info: http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-...or-service
    It's pretty clear and I didn't see anything about a 32 age limit for DEPOT; however, that is the age limit for full basic training. You should seek clarification.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement