Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Last minute boot camp packing. What doesn't the Helmsman tell us?
Last Post 31 May 2016 02:37 PM by AG305. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
misheru

--
13 May 2016 03:09 PM
    Ok so I am reading my Helmsman and I see we will be issued toiletries upon arrival, etc. My questions are as follows. I would ask my recruiter but he is on emergency leave so you guys are my best resource right now. 

- Can we take more than the "allowed" amount of things? For example, more than 3 V-necks, or more than 10 prs underwear?
    - Can and should we take extra socks? What length should they be and should the boot ones be a specific type?
    - Should I take documents (citizenship certificate/passport, birth certificate etc etc) for SF-86 purposes? Or leave those at home aside from license and social sec?
    - Can we take extra toiletries even if they will be issued? Such as toothpaste and deodorant etc?
    - Everything should go in one bag (such as the CG recruiting bag), no extra bags such as backpacks etc, correct?
    - Did you guys store your toiletries in your ditty bag that was issued?
    - Should we take a notebook/binder/folder to hold papers etc, or is that not necessary?
    - Aside from the clothes we are wearing to cape may, should I take an extra set of civilian clothes in my bag?
    - Finally, should we place our bag in checked baggage or have it as a carry on? I would rather have it as carry on to avoid it being lost/delayed etc, but razor cartridges and shampoo will be in there.

Even with all this it seems my bag will be pretty empty, is that how it should be, haha.

I appreciate any help, I know this is a lot of stuff to ask. I'm getting real excite for boot in a couple of days. Ivf anyone ships on the 17th I'll see you there.
    PuddlePirate92

--
    13 May 2016 06:39 PM
    You really don't need to bring anything except the clothes on your back. When I went through all I brought was a good razor and blades and at the exchange I bought extra boot socks but that wasn't even needed. Everything you will need will be provided, the only thing I recommend is to bring a good razor and a bunch of extra blades as you will be shaving 4-5 times a day if you grow thick and fast like me.
    modernwarfare

--
    13 May 2016 06:46 PM
    The v neck t shirts are to wear with you trops which you will wear 1 time. Then the shirts will be a part of your sea bag, but underwear and extra boot socks you may want. The boot socks they give are terrible. Make sure you bring a plain black digital watch! Stamps and pre addressed envelopes and paper for letters are helpful.
    PuddlePirate92

--
    13 May 2016 07:04 PM
    That's funny I thought the boot socks weren't that bad and still use that brand, but they are pretty cheap.
    Bigfoot1120

--
    13 May 2016 09:11 PM
    Don't bring extra anything, extra means that many more things you'll have to keep organized in your rack. Puddlepirate's advice is 100% spot on, bring a really good razor. That will cut down on all the shaving you will have to do. I wish I had gotten that advice, I was shaving 4 times a day with the razors provided. Other than that, bring writing material for letters and that's it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    13 May 2016 10:44 PM
    how does my bag sound to you guys? v necks, underwear, razor with blades, toothbrush, envelopes, stamps and paper.
    jg_16

--
    14 May 2016 08:40 AM
    We're allowed to pre address the envelopes?
    PuddlePirate92

--
    14 May 2016 09:19 AM
    AG305 you will be fine with just that stuff and I recommend not bringing the blue coast guard bag as it will be dark and you will be scrambling to find your bag.

jg_16 you can pre address the envelopes, I did it it saved me time as my company only got 5 minutes a night to write letters except on Sundays we had longer. I also wrote my letters like a journal dating multiple days on each page, that way years down the road I can look back and see what I did on what days and my family has an idea what I went through. Just my 2 cents.
    jg_16

--
    14 May 2016 09:47 AM
    That's good to know, because I've read contradicting comments on here saying you can't do that. So I'm definitely going to pre address mine! Thanks for the info
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    14 May 2016 09:47 AM
    Posted By PuddlePirate92 on 14 May 2016 10:19 AM
    AG305 you will be fine with just that stuff and I recommend not bringing the blue coast guard bag as it will be dark and you will be scrambling to find your bag.

awesome thanks. i got my usual duffle bag i use when i pack light.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    14 May 2016 10:02 AM
    Posted By jg_16 on 14 May 2016 10:47 AM
    That's good to know, because I've read contradicting comments on here saying you can't do that. So I'm definitely going to pre address mine! Thanks for the info

ive also heard this. ive heard that you may or may not have to write with all capitals, depending on the CC which you wont know till youre there. 

i would absolutely love to pre address my letters but not so sure if i should as of now.
    PuddlePirate92

--
    16 May 2016 02:28 PM
    You do have to write in all caps throughout boot camp and on certain forms in the CG so get used to it. You can pre address your letters however you want, even the letters can be in normal writing they are personal and not an official form. Just be prepared to have crappy writing when I went through my writing went to that of a preschooler, my words had caps and lowercase within the same word as I was so used to writing in caps.
    hooligan

--
    22 May 2016 10:09 AM
    boot camp haiku

I brought a black comb.
    it went into the trash can.
    how foolish, no hair!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    26 May 2016 09:58 AM
    what brand are the socks puddlepirate? was the amount they issued good enough or did you lose some and what not?
    cgsaga

--
    26 May 2016 07:46 PM
    Posted By AG305 on 26 May 2016 10:58 AM
    what brand are the socks puddlepirate? was the amount they issued good enough or did you lose some and what not?

I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but you get 6 pairs and people lost them OFTEN. Please label your socks, perhaps buy an extra pack during that first trip to the exchange. I think I still have 4 pairs in my sea bag post bootcamp. Currently on my 5 days of leave.
    PuddlePirate92

--
    28 May 2016 09:01 AM
    AG305 I think they were just your cheap basic Hanes boot socks, like 10 dollars or so for like 12 pairs. Most of the guys hated them but I still use them as i've never had any problems with them, I found them comfortable but the end where your toes are can be pretty stiff even after washing.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    28 May 2016 01:58 PM
    Posted By cgsaga on 26 May 2016 08:46 PM
    I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but you get 6 pairs and people lost them OFTEN.

thats what i was afraid of. i want extra but i dont at the same time. guess ill have to really take care of the ones i get.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    28 May 2016 02:02 PM
    Posted By PuddlePirate92 on 28 May 2016 10:01 AM
    AG305 I think they were just your cheap basic Hanes boot socks, like 10 dollars or so for like 12 pairs. Most of the guys hated them but I still use them as i've never had any problems with them, I found them comfortable but the end where your toes are can be pretty stiff even after washing.

oh thats no big deal i can live with those socks. ive always wore cheap socks anyway. i thought they were EXTRA cheap, like falling apart for nothing cheap.
    PuddlePirate92

--
    28 May 2016 08:05 PM
    Nah they are very durable just cheap, I like them I guess that's all that matters.
    Loronus

--
    30 May 2016 12:27 PM
    The Socks they give I personally don't like but having too many of things will make it that much harder and a little easier depending. The brand they give are like a U.S. Military brand that stretched out rather easy on me but get the job done. I bought a set while I was there especially since we had some people who 'Accidentally' got your socks. I brought Long Underwear and Never wore them. V-necks bring like 1 or 2 you can buy them there on base. They are used for dress uniforms towards the end but you will wear them on like... a few ocassions unless you end up in Band or Ceremonial. A Good Razor and spare Cartridges are a must. They give you a can of Shaving Cream which will last you a while and having like... an Extra one in your rack is good but I used it mainly towards the end. Writing Materials are a must if you want to keep in contact with people. You really really won't get time until...week 3 to write especially if you are trying to be squared away. As for an extra set of Civies. I wouldn't you get a chance to wash them during your indoc week before they seal them away. We had a couple of people who didn't was their's because they didn't pay attention. 

We had to write in all CAPS in both companies I was in. I still do it on everything I write now it makes it a little more legible and I don't worry about if I need to or not.

Your list sounds pretty good make sure to have your License/ID, Debit Card, Cell Phone (Not Mandatory but when you get Liberty it helped a lot), Chargers, and Social Security Card. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    30 May 2016 05:31 PM
    civies? why?? lol people bring extra clothes?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 May 2016 07:45 AM
    AG he actually says as for an extra set of civies, I wouldn't. So Loronus is encouraging NOT bringing additional civilian clothes.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    31 May 2016 09:54 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 31 May 2016 08:45 AM
    AG he actually says as for an extra set of civies, I wouldn't. So Loronus is encouraging NOT bringing additional civilian clothes.

yeah exactly. i wonder if theres people who actually do bring extra set of clothes that he had to say not to.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    31 May 2016 12:21 PM
    The best thing you can pack for boot camp is a positive attitude and the will to do everything it takes to graduate and begin a great career. Remember: The first 8 weeks are only the beginning.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    31 May 2016 02:33 PM
    Posted By pepperdoggie on 31 May 2016 01:21 PM
    The best thing you can pack for boot camp is a positive attitude and the will to do everything it takes to graduate and begin a great career. Remember: The first 8 weeks are only the beginning.

you got that right pepperdoggie. if theres one thing im taking its the proper attitude and desire to learn.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 May 2016 02:33 PM
    AG, I'm sure there are some that think, hey we get off base liberty, I'll need my best jeans and a speed-o for the Jersey Shore. Those people would be sadly mistaken but I'm sure some have thought that way. Wouldn't it be hilarious to see someone leaving for off base liberty in Week 7 wearing a speed-o, flip flops, carrying a surf board and heading to Wildwood?!??! Holy cow, I think CC's would have a collective stroke!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AG305

--
    31 May 2016 02:37 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 31 May 2016 03:33 PM
    Wouldn't it be hilarious to see someone leaving for off base liberty in Week 7 wearing a speed-o, flip flops, carrying a surf board and heading to Wildwood?!??! Holy cow, I think CC's would have a collective stroke!

oh man! now THAT would be a sight to see lol itll be a CC field day for sure
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement