Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First/Last Stop From/To the USCG Yard
Last Post 18 Jun 2016 09:32 AM by Clancy. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Clancy

--
11 Jun 2016 08:00 AM
    Does anyone remember the name of the first bar visiting cutters' liberty parties hit immediately after leaving the USCG Yard (Curtis Bay/Baltimore, MD) before heading into Baltimore in the 1960s and later?  It was also the last bar when returning to the Yard.  

Hint  -  you had to open to the back door in order to play pool on the corners and side pockets closest to the back door, it was constructed of brick, was extremely small, and was located on the right hand side when returning to the Yard, immediately after the old Pennington Avenue Bridge.

Clancy
    MastersMate

--
    16 Jun 2016 05:21 PM
    The two watering holes having any connection with time in Baltimore shipyard, that pop into my squash, are Tills and another place called Ernells. Would either one of those come close ??
    Clancy

--
    18 Jun 2016 09:32 AM
    MastersMate,

You are absolutely spot on, and you guessed the correct response to the second question I was going to pose.  

I think that everyone who went through a Yard availability in Curtis Bay (Baltimore), MD remembers "Till's," and many others remember "Ernells."   Some individuals may even remember "Elmers" on Light Street in Baltimore, but that is another story.  

I distinctly remember that "Ernells" had a ship's patch collection that were nicotine stained, mounted on wooden plaques, and hung on several barroom walls from just about every cutter that either went through a Yard availability or made a port call in Baltimore.  With the exception of a few museum ships today those cutters have been long decommissioned and in most cases scrapped.  However, I often wonder what happen to those patches.  By-the-way, "Ernells" changed ownership and it's name to "Gar's Lounge" in the late 1970s, but I haven't been in the Coastie hangout since I was a QMC on the Alert in 1975.

I also remember that you could get a 15-cent draft beer in "Ernells." This was the same price that was charged in the Yard's Building 33 (Barracks)  "Canteen" that closed at 2200.  The low price for a draft beer went a long way for Seaman Apprentice going on liberty who had to live aboard ship (unless you were married or independently wealthy) whose pay was around $78.00 a month, and whose pay was increased by a generous sum of $8.00 per month if you were on sea duty.  So the scenario on liberty was the "Canteen," "Tills," "Ernells," and finally Baltimore!

Anyways, great call on your memory, and it is nice to realize that there are still some old farts like you and I who do remember the places, faces, events, and memories from many, many years ago.

Ed Clancy

P.S.

I know that you have written some outstanding USCG uniform articles and publications.  For your information I have some old U.S. Coast Guard Magazine (1950s to its demise) that might help you in your research.  If you want PDF copies please send an email to me at clancyedward@bellsouth.net
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement