Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DEPOT experience question
Last Post 27 Jun 2016 01:42 PM by dan1065cf. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dan1065cf

--
25 Jun 2016 08:35 PM
    Hello everyone!!  I'm new to the forum.  I know and have seen there are a ton of DEPOT questions; but I haven't found one that delt with the DEPOT experience.  I'm 39 and a 17yr veteran of law enforcement.  I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking at rate wise....I'd like to know if basic is fairly simple and a formality type of setup, or a hard-core kick in the teeth?  It's been a long time since my police academy days, and being 39..age is catching up.  I'm in decent shape; just curious as to what I'm looking forward to.

Thanks everyone.  This board has a lot of great intel on it.

Dan - FL
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    27 Jun 2016 07:26 AM
    I graduated from DEPOT about 2 years ago. As you may know, DEPOT is a short version of the 8-week boot camp. With that said, you will get yelled at, you will do exercise (they call it incentive training or IT), you have to know the required knowledge and you are treated like a recruit. Good thing is that it is only 3 weeks. You report on a Sunday night, which counts towards the 3 weeks, and graduate on a Friday. The first night is very long, probably till 1-2am and they wake you up at 530am, if I am not mistaken. The very first day, Monday, you go through the medical process, uniforms, etc etc. You are responsible for learning a lot of material on your own and even taking tests. You also go to some classes with other companies. Any of the Company Commanders can randomly select you to answer questions or whatever it is. I look back at when I was at DEPOT and dont think it was too bad. The one thing I disliked the most was going to the galley for chow. It can be stressful sometimes. My best advise is to work as a team, do what you are told, be up to date with everything, etc. You should be aware of all this and I dont have to tell you because you went through an academy already. In regards to the physical stuff you are expected and treated equally regardless of age, gender, or experience. The only time this varies is for the PT exam. You are given a little break in terms of the time for the 1.5 mile run, the amount of push ups, and sit ups. In my opinion, they give you plenty of time regardless of age or gender.

In regards to a rate, there has to be an open billet (job) for you to fill it. Since you have plenty of experience in law enforcement I would suggest you look into ME or IV, which are both law enforcement related and possibly can get "A" school waived. Upon DEPOT graduation you can be advanced to E4 or above. Half of my DEPOT company advanced to E4 at DEPOT graduation. If you are looking for something else other than ME or IV, you need to go to A school.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    Ca.Guy

--
    27 Jun 2016 10:02 AM
    Dan,
    LJ in squared away and right on. To add on...
    My Cape May Vacation...
    Flew into Philly from west coast... Slept as much as I could knowing first night would be long.
    We had a few late thirties candidates. We all did well. We had 01 female. I would have all general orders committed to memory at least 2 weeks prior to shipping... Had the wife at dinner along with kids start quizzing on required knowledge. The first night is very long. I went through a fire academy at 30 so the PT was not a problem. Most who are in DEPOT are professionals and have their head on right. I would say that DEPOT is the 8 week boot camp squeezed into 3 weeks. We are required to do all the 8 week stuff plus EPME for E-4 in 3 weeks. If you have been through a stress academy you will be fine. It is a game and stay off the radar. Helpful hint... you really don't want to be the Class yeoman. (If they say who here is very organized? that was the volunteer that became class yeoman. ) Our guy was top notch but was up later than us doing class paperwork grades organization.
    dan1065cf

--
    27 Jun 2016 01:42 PM
    Great info LJ and CA. I greatly appreciate it. One of my old commanders was in the CG Investigations as a Reserve, and recently retired from there.. From the stories and information he provides, the CG is over-all a great place to ride out a career and your not busting ballz in warzones or that type of mess.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement