Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Service AF to CG
Last Post 30 Jun 2016 10:08 PM by AirDale13. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nwakin

--
30 Jun 2016 02:49 AM
    I am Prior Service AF looking to enlist in the Coast Guard. I have eight years active duty under my belt, age 34 and am looking for answers on age waivers. I have looked around and have found bits of info but it is hard to piece it together for my situation. Do I subtract my service years to find my recruitment age? If that is the case does that age also play a role in getting a slot for AST. Thank you in advance for the help. Also if there is any info into the AST recruitment along the lines of chances, abilities, school atmosphere etc.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    30 Jun 2016 07:42 AM
    Hi, I can't answer the age waiver question but can ask have you looked at your debt to income ratio and amount of dependents you might have at age 34 as you ponder enlisting in the Coast Guard? How long have you been out?
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 08:05 AM
    I have not sat down and done the math but at this time my wife is the bread winner. I do not have a high paying job as of now. I have been out 8 years.
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 08:11 AM
    From what I have read I would enlist back as an E-3. What does rank advancement look like for CG.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 Jun 2016 11:49 AM
    Posted By nwakin on 30 Jun 2016 09:11 AM
    From what I have read I would enlist back as an E-3. What does rank advancement look like for CG.

Depends on the rating you're in. AST is not one that has quick advancement.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 12:02 PM
    Would you have any input on the age situation. The pay grade isn't a big issue to me I expected that much would happen going either CG or Navy. AF and Army would keep me at the same rank but missions are different. I am going to speak to a recruiter just wanted a heads up on the age thing before I go. Recruiter office isn't close out here. Spree oats it fellas.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 Jun 2016 01:25 PM
    I believe the max age for active duty is 28, but that also may be waiverable due to your prior service. The recruiters on this forum will have a better answer. This may help too...http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-...or-service
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 01:48 PM
    Thank you. I looked at that but it is so vague it's hard to tell. Hopefully one of the recruiters will jump on here and set me straight. Thanks again for the help.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Jun 2016 02:24 PM
    Your age isn't an issue but You will not be able to enlist onto active duty because you have more than 6 years of prior active service. Your age would not be a factor as we would subtract up to 5 years of active service from your age. For enlistment purposes you would be 29 and could enlist into a guaranteed A-School. However, you most likely would be given an age waiver for the "29" if you wanted to pursue another rating. So unless your AF specialty lines up EXACTLY with a CG rating you are out of luck for active service. Sorry about that.
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 03:02 PM
    So more than six years of service is a no go. Right on the front page of the website is says up to 10 years prior service is elegible. Did I read that wrong.

But you are saying that if I were to choose a specialty that lines up exactly I would be good to go.

Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Jun 2016 03:05 PM
    It's up to 10 years IF you can come in higher than an E-3.
    EDIT: What was your specialty?
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 03:16 PM
    Well that changes things. I was a firefighter. Let me guess I can't get come in higher than an E-3.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Jun 2016 03:56 PM
    We don't have a firefighter rating so you can't come in higher than an E3. Do you have a college degree?
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 04:03 PM
    Sure don't. Man that's a tough nail to sallow. I'm guessing there aren't any waivers that could be processed. I really appreciate you taking time to sort out the info for me. Hopefully I will have some luck with the Navy.
    nwakin

--
    30 Jun 2016 04:03 PM
    Sure don't. Man that's a tough nail to sallow. I'm guessing there aren't any waivers that could be processed. I really appreciate you taking time to sort out the info for me. Hopefully I will have some luck with the Navy.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Jun 2016 10:08 PM
    No waivers. The reason is because of the CGs high year tenure. Sorry man. You can still call up your recruiting office to clarify things.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement