Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Options for old man wanting to join???
Last Post 11 Jul 2016 08:58 AM by Highnoon. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Highnoon

--
09 Jul 2016 05:35 PM
    Hi all, I'm a 39 year old teacher for 15 years. I have a BA and a masters degree so I was thinking about joining through the direct education program. Here's my question/ problem - I know boot camp is compacted to 3 weeks. I have 3 little kids so as much as I would hate to leave them for that it's doable. However, every A school I see is much longer than that, which would be very hard for me to do. Is it possible to just stay non rated and work at my local station? I'll paint boats and do all the dirty work no problem. I'm just interested in being part of the Coast Guard. Also, is it possible to go to the 5 week boarding officer course as a non-rate? If not, could I get qualified as a boarding team member on the job? Last question, can anyone think of any other options for me to get certified and make the most out of my experience, and help out, without going to an A school?

And finally, military members that regularly leave their family to serve really are heroes. Just thinking about the process has really made me realize this.
    Thank you in advance for any help,
    Ryan

blaneypark

--
    09 Jul 2016 05:39 PM
    Join the Coast Guard AUX. I don't see your prior service so it is 8 weeks bootcamp. You have too many dependants sorry but I don't think you qualify.
    Highnoon

--
    09 Jul 2016 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I believe through the direct education program you don't need prior service and its 3 weeks, plus I think dependents only matter if going active. I could be wrong though.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jul 2016 09:41 PM
    I hate answers like I'm about to give BUT......... if being away from your kids is a problem, don't do it. At all, on any level. What if your unit gets called to active and you deploy for 6 months, a year?? What will you do? Quit?? Even as a reservist you have to consider, this is military. You might not be home for birthdays, holidays, recitals, ball games, anniversaries... my son and his wife just celebrated their very first wedding anniversary together... but this was their 5 year anniversary. He has been underway for the first 4. Military life. Luckily he understands and my daughter in law is an awesome sport and support, she gets it. If 3 weeks seems like an eternity to be away, could you imagine 6 months??? I appreciate your desire to serve but I sincerely doubt it will be in your best interest or that of the Coast Guard.

The auxiliary is a great way to be a part but not have to worry about time away.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Highnoon

--
    10 Jul 2016 07:07 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I'll look into the auxiliary, I appreciate your feedback.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    10 Jul 2016 12:48 PM
    We had a 39 year old teacher bypass A-School because we brought them in as a YN (Yeoman). Ask you recruiter about possibly coming straight into a rating, if not, A School is a must.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Jul 2016 03:41 PM
    To answer your question about Boarding Officer school, that's a no. By law boarding officers have to be at minimum, petty officers (e4 and above). As for spending your entire time as a non rate, that's also a no. There's currently something called High Year Tenure in effect in the CG. In simplest terms, it means you can only spend a certain number of years in a pay grade. If you don't advance, you get kicked out.

Finally to piggyback on what OG2 mentioned...As a Reservist, you're in the military. No two ways about it. There is the real possibility you will be activated and possibly deployed to a different duty station. In my 14 1/2 years in the CGR, I've been activated/deployed 5 times. The time frames ranged from 30 days to one year.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Highnoon

--
    10 Jul 2016 04:30 PM
    Thanks airdale for the response, I didn't know you could do on the job for yeoman. Good to know.

Cporjm- that's pretty much what I read about boarding officer, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I definitely understand the chance of being activated, if it wasn't a possibility everyone would join the military and reap just the benefits. I just figured after doing some research that while possible, it does seem very unlikely for a reservist to get involuntarily activated. It seems like certain ratings have a higher chance. It's definitely something I know can happen though. If you don't mind me asking what rating were you when you were activated? Thank you for your response, I appreciate it and it gives me much to think about.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Jul 2016 04:38 PM
    I came into the CGR in 2001 in the PS (Port Security) rating. This morphed into the ME rating some years ago. I was a PS during my first two activations. In 2005, I changed ratings to the IV rating
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Highnoon

--
    10 Jul 2016 04:55 PM
    Posted By CPORJM on 10 Jul 2016 05:38 PM
    I came into the CGR in 2001 in the PS (Port Security) rating. This morphed into the ME rating some years ago. I was a PS during my first two activations. In 2005, I changed ratings to the IV rating

Thank you for responding and your input, it's much appreciated.
    Jmax2626

--
    10 Jul 2016 08:40 PM
    I just turned 39 a week ago and I'm not in yet but I'm waiting on my reservations to depot. I have no prior military service and two kids. Also I believe in some cases if you have skills that relate you may be able to by pass a school. That being said just throwing it out there so you can ask some on here about that. But I can tell you if your serious you better decide quick and get busy cause it is not a quick process and you have to be in by40 or at least that is my understanding.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Jul 2016 09:12 PM
    Posted By Jmax2626 on 10 Jul 2016 09:40 PM
    I just turned 39 a week ago and I'm not in yet but I'm waiting on my reservations to depot. I have no prior military service and two kids. Also I believe in some cases if you have skills that relate you may be able to by pass a school. That being said just throwing it out there so you can ask some on here about that. But I can tell you if your serious you better decide quick and get busy cause it is not a quick process and you have to be in by40 or at least that is my understanding.
    In order to bypass A School, a Rate Determination Package has to be submitted  and then it's up to the Rating Force Master Chief.  If the civilian skill set doesn't mesh with what the CG needs, then it's off to A School.  No one here is really going to be able to say either way

Highnoon

--
    11 Jul 2016 08:58 AM
    Posted By Jmax2626 on 10 Jul 2016 09:40 PM

Time running out has definitely been on my mind. Thanks for the info on a school bypass being a possibility.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement