Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Females in Boot Camp
Last Post 27 Feb 2017 05:49 PM by thefamily. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
briannajox

--
22 Jul 2016 04:33 PM
    Hello! I am obviously a female going into basic training and wanted to see if there was any females on here that have advice for basic training as in do we have time to shave our legs? How is it living with other girls? How does that "time of the month" work? lol or Anything you wish you would have packed but didn't? Etc.
    Or in general any advice you have

Thank you!
    Brianna Hoerter
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Jul 2016 10:42 PM
    After a couple weeks I shaved one leg at a time, usually on gym days when you got extra time.

I had my period lol for about a month while I was there because I switched from the nuva ring to the shot for the duration of bootcamp. You get plenty of bathroom breaks, and if you run out of female stuff you can go to sick call at the clinic and get some for free. I usually went and then shared with everyone else.

Living with a bunch of girls is always interesting. Just try and be friends and nice and usually people come around. I don't think guys have the same social problems girls have with eachother, but it just depends on the group of girls and everyone's personality.

I went in the summer so the only things I wished I brought were strong bugspray, extra watches (2 of mine broke) and extra sports bras because nothing was worse than putting back sweaty underwear after a gym day because you only get to do laundry a couple times/once(?) a week, I don't remember. Other than that, bring a really nourishing shampoo/conditioner combo, you really don't have time to do it separate.

After you are done with bootcamp remember you'll be surrounded by a bunch of dudes, and if on a cutter, then 24/7. Some of my guy supervisors when I was a nonrate were pretty.... Rude. Luckily I had an awesome female supervisor also that put them in check when they needed to be, but just stay strong, don't talk alot when you get to your unit, and keep your head on getting qualified. People at a unit don't really want to see newbies sitting around smoking and and joking when they should be working on quals and helping out the watch rotations.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    23 Jul 2016 01:28 PM
    I didn't shave my legs until week 3 or 4 because I never felt like I had time until then. As you can imagine, I felt like a whole new person once I did shave!! In the later weeks we got more time to shower so I was able to shave both legs almost every day. I brought the Gillette Venus razors which I can basically dry shave with and not have any issues. I definitely recommend finding a razor that you can use without having to worry about shave cream/lathering up before you use it.

In addition to extra sports bras, I would bring more than you think you may need of your preferred feminine products if you are at all picky about that kind of thing. I personally missed a period for the first and only time in my life while I was at boot camp, but some of the other girls in my company had the same issue Bells described.

Beyond the normal feminine issues, just be sure you are looking out for yourself and the other girls in your company.
    briannajox

--
    24 Jul 2016 04:48 PM
    thank you ladies! I will definitely use the advice you have given me
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jul 2016 05:18 PM
    Remember one thing about shampoo... You may not check baggage. It is carry on only. So the rules still apply for liquids. No more than 3oz and it must fit in a quart size Ziploc baggie.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    briannajox

--
    01 Sep 2016 03:54 PM
    Can anyone suggest what type of hair gel to use for basic? will we have time to gel our hair? and is it a good idea to wear a watch?

Thank you!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    22 Sep 2016 09:06 PM
    You will buy gel at the Exchange. If your hair is really a hot mess you can bring some that will get you through the first couple days, but you are not expected to have any until your company goes to the Exchange.

I was happy to have a watch when I went through. If you're the kind of person always checking the time, then wear a watch. It also helps when you're going through times evolutions.
    SchoonerBum

--
    19 Nov 2016 10:13 PM
    Watches are a godsend, from a non religious person. Though, just don't set your CC's by your watch. They have the power to alter time.

No Joke. Sniper position can last hours by your POC, and only 20 minutes by thiers.

Except Dtill and Band. Go by your watch for time starting for that.

SN
    dlapre

--
    21 Nov 2016 08:51 AM
    Are girls separate from boys the duration of bootcamp
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Nov 2016 09:47 AM
    Do they sleep and shower together? No.
    Do they train together? Absolutely.

There is no separation of men and women in boot camp.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    23 Nov 2016 04:02 PM
    I think the Marines are the only ones who train separately.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Nov 2016 06:39 PM
    Posted By ebee on 23 Nov 2016 04:02 PM
    I think the Marines are the only ones who train separately.

Correct.  All female Marine recruits, no matter where they enlist, go to Parris Island, SC.  Males go to either Parris Island or San Diego, depending on where they enlist.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Nov 2016 05:33 PM
    I believe the Army does the same. No matter where a female enlists from she goes to Fort Leonard Wood. I believe they train together. But that's the only base they go to.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    thefamily

--
    27 Feb 2017 05:49 PM
    Army females go to basic at Ft Jackson, SC also, and many are co-ed now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement