Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question about Airstations and Cutters after bootcamp??
Last Post 31 Aug 2016 04:38 AM by CXC.III. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CXC.III

--
12 Aug 2016 07:11 AM
    I am talking to a recruiter this Tuesday, the 16th, and if all goes well I plan on becoming an AMT in the future, ideally being on a helicopter. I'm aware that I can request to go to an airstation after bootcamp and MIGHT get it.. which would be awesome but I also would like to be on a cutter for a little while.. getting to travel parts of the world.

So my question to you all is..   

Can I request to go to an airstation after being on a cutter for a period of time or is it more wise to request it right after bootcamp for the best chance of getting there?

I would just like some insight on what to do.

In a perfect world I would like to.. Finish bootcamp..go on a cutter for maybe 4-6 months and then work at airstation to gain knowledge and experience around aviation, specifically helicopters.

Thanks for any help.. greatly appreciated.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    12 Aug 2016 08:37 AM
    You'll go to your first unit out of boot camp and stay there until you receive A School orders. If I recall, very few personnel will go to an air station out of boot camp.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CXC.III

--
    12 Aug 2016 10:41 AM
    Ive heard that aswell but people said it does happen so I was just wanting to know what the best move to make would be.. Thanks for the input

Any idea how long until A school sign up is available?
    and do you know the wait time for AMT school?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Aug 2016 11:10 AM
    In the FAQ section you will find a link to the A School list. There you will see the current wait times for all schools. Please be aware that is a living, breathing document. What it says this month could drastically change in time next month.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    elton2015

--
    12 Aug 2016 11:55 AM
    There are really no nonrates at air stations anymore. The USCG got rid of the airmen program which was designed for nonrates interested in the aviation field to go to air stations and see what the rates do. I recently left Cape May and I can tell you that not one person out of my 100+ person company went to an air station. People tried to request it but it didn't happen. In all reality you're going to a cutter, ATON team, or station.

With that being said, if you show up to your unit and work hard your command will more than likely let you go to a nearby air station for a bit and see what they do.
    CXC.III

--
    12 Aug 2016 05:32 PM
    Ok cool  thanks guys. Thanks for the info. That sucks that the airman program is no longer available...I was looking forward to that a lot. And I will check out that wait times Oldguard2  appreciate that info aswell.  by the way what is ATON?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    12 Aug 2016 07:38 PM
    If you get assigned to a big enough cutter you probably will get to interact with a Helicopter and crew while on patrol.
    CXC.III

--
    12 Aug 2016 07:58 PM
    I guess thats my best bet is to just put on my dream sheet to be on a cutter with that has somewhat frequent helicopter landings? lol Idk..
    That would be awesome though! Maybe that would help me gain some experience or at least some knowledge about helicopters and the best way to approach becoming an Aviation Maintenance Technician.
    elton2015

--
    14 Aug 2016 10:59 AM
    An ATON team is an aids to navigation team. They're great units. They primarily do things like service buoys, waterway lights, etc. Be careful what you ask for though. Nonrate life on a big cutter is far from glamorous, and you probably would never do anything with the helicopters even if your ship interacted with them. In my opinion you should try your hardest to get a small cutter, ATON Team, or small boat station out of boot camp. It's a way better life and schedule and you can still go aviation with no problems at all.
    CXC.III

--
    15 Aug 2016 04:33 AM
    Do you think a small cutter would travel the us or the world at all?  Thanks for the advice
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Aug 2016 06:38 AM
    Small cutters typically do not travel the US or the world. Small cutters are typically assigned to a near shore area of responsibility. I was on an 87' in Texas, we normally traveled from the Louisiana border to Freeport, TX during patrols. Currently, I'm on a Fast Response Cutter. Our typical patrols are in the Miami area, but we have been to the Bahamas, patrolled in Key West and Puerto Rico. The quality of life, living accommodations, and the patrol schedule are excellent.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    CXC.III

--
    15 Aug 2016 08:53 PM
    Posted By Gears on 15 Aug 2016 06:38 AM
    Small cutters typically do not travel the US or the world. Small cutters are typically assigned to a near shore area of responsibility. I was on an 87' in Texas, we normally traveled from the Louisiana border to Freeport, TX during patrols. Currently, I'm on a Fast Response Cutter. Our typical patrols are in the Miami area, but we have been to the Bahamas, patrolled in Key West and Puerto Rico. The quality of life, living accommodations, and the patrol schedule are excellent.

Okay man. How many people are on the 87'? That sounds pretty cool and I think I could be pretty happy with what you described. How often do you go to Key West and Puerto Rico? And also does that cutter have a helipad?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    16 Aug 2016 01:14 PM
    Posted By CXC.III on 15 Aug 2016 08:53 PM
    Posted By Gears on 15 Aug 2016 06:38 AM

Okay man. How many people are on the 87'? That sounds pretty cool and I think I could be pretty happy with what you described. How often do you go to Key West and Puerto Rico? And also does that cutter have a helipad?

An 87' patrol boat has a crew of 10.  Neither the 87 or the Fast Response Cutter have helipads.  They're nowhere near large enough for that.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Aug 2016 06:36 PM
    How often do you go to Key West and Puerto Rico?

We go as often as the mission requires us to. I can't be more specific because of OPSEC.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    26 Aug 2016 05:29 AM
    I had 2 of my recruits go to an air station out of about 80 during my time as a recruiter. Also, the airman program is imbedded into A-School. It exists but not as it did before. I think your best bet is to go to a sector that has the air station and cutters physically close together. If you are on the cutter you could go over to the air station for a bit to check it out. Don't expect to be stationed on a cutter for 6 months and get to leave to get stationed at an air station. Bottom line is if you want to experience aviation as a nonrate you will need to work for it.
    CXC.III

--
    29 Aug 2016 10:28 AM
    Ah I see. Great info. Would you mind describing what exactly you mean by the airman program being imbedded into A-School?
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    29 Aug 2016 12:29 PM
    The first 30 days of A-School is the Airman program at Elizabeth City. Upon completion you start actual rate specific schooling.
    CXC.III

--
    31 Aug 2016 04:38 AM
    ooh okay cool I get it now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement