Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just graduated, ask away!
Last Post 15 Sep 2016 08:21 PM by Damahone98. 30 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Damahone98

--
12 Aug 2016 07:39 PM
    Charlie 193 loudest company on the regiment. I'll be at STA Oregon Inlet in Nags Head North Carolina. Please ask questions, the more you ask the better prepared you are.
    CXC.III

--
    12 Aug 2016 08:01 PM
    what do you think is the average age of people at bootcamp?
    Whatacoin

--
    13 Aug 2016 01:13 AM
    What's the first week PT looking like? I know they changed it a couple years back but it seems to be flipping around every month. Nobody has come to a concensus on what it is exactly. Thanks!
    Damahone98

--
    13 Aug 2016 03:20 PM
    Age varies obviously, the oldest in my company was 31 and the youngest was me at 17. The majority however was 18-22. The first week physical fitness assessment is on Thursday. You're going to do as many push ups and sit ups as you can in a minute. After everyone is done all of you will go out to the track and run your 1.5 mile. If it's foul weather, then you will run around the basketball court in groups. You must meet the minimum requirements otherwise you're going home.  The swim assessment is in week 02, if you fail the swim you go to remedial swim until you pass.
    CXC.III

--
    13 Aug 2016 05:38 PM
    Where is your unit and what are your plans in the future? Did you go in knowing where you wanted your unit to be or did you change your mind or decide after you got to bootcamp? Also what did you request on your dream sheet and did you get what you wanted? Just nice to have some insight to be as close to prepared as possible! thanks man
    Whatacoin

--
    13 Aug 2016 10:11 PM
    Were the requirements the old formation standards or the full graduation standards (29 pushups etc.) in the first week?
    Damahone98

--
    13 Aug 2016 10:29 PM
    My unit is a small boat station in Nags Head, North Carolina (outer banks). My short term plans are to get qualified, begin college, and pick my rate.  The classes in boot did change my mind a little, but  I wanted Hawaii (district 14), my second choice was Florida (district 7) third choice was district 11, I got district 5, my fourth choice. HOWEVER. I informed them that the only thing important to me was a small boat station and warm weather. They gave me that. When you fill out your dream I suggest telling them what is more important to you. The location, or type of unit. Just remember that the needs of the Coast Guard come first.
    Damahone98

--
    13 Aug 2016 10:38 PM
    There were a few that didn't meet the minimum and had to attend Physical Fitness Enhancement every morning, but if you can't meet the minimum prior to shipping, you should wait till you can. You want to exceed the minimum. During our Incentive Training sessions we were doing 50+ push ups and 60+ sit ups. You're only going to hurt yourself if you come not being able to meet or exceed the minimum.
    CXC.III

--
    14 Aug 2016 10:14 AM
    Okay cool man  thanks for the info. Do you have any advice on someone wanting to become an Airman? Im looking to become an AMT. Think it would be wise to try to pick a location close to an air station?

Damahone98

--
    14 Aug 2016 11:12 AM
    Being a Airman right out of boot is rare. Here's what you can do. After you arrive at your first unit and get qualified tell your supervisor that you're interested in Aviation Maintenance Technician and they'll be more than happy to arrange things for you so that you can spend a few days at a close by air station. You'll be a non rate still but you'll get to see everything they do. The Coast Guard wants you to pick a rate that you will excel in so give 100% to get qualified then spend some time with the Aviation guys. During week 07 my lead CC actually scheduled an appointment for someone with the AST at the gym. When you fill out your dream sheet, let them know you want to go Aviation. Just remember, even though they want you to be happy, the Coast Guards needs come first and the more effort you put into meeting those needs the more likely you are to have your wants met as well.
    steadfastfellow

--
    14 Aug 2016 03:04 PM
    I hate to say this, but was it fun in a way. Like yeah I know you have a lot of PT and classroom time, but we're there any times that you really enjoyed yourself.
    Damahone98

--
    14 Aug 2016 08:03 PM
    Absolutely, fire fighting, floating around in mustang suits, and learning new things. Me personally I enjoyed the challenge in general, just the fact that I was there excited me. If you're like most,  the first few weeks you'll probably hate, but as you improve you begin to enjoy it. Notice I didn't say it gets easier, if you are improving from the stress then you will get stronger and you'll begin seeing how you've improved. Does all that make sense?
    CXC.III

--
    15 Aug 2016 06:18 PM
    Awesome man I appreciate the advice..Im glad they are willing to help us out. Do you know anyone that tried to go to Puerto Rico after basic?
    Damahone98

--
    15 Aug 2016 08:03 PM
    It was myy pleasure! Please ask more questions if you have, no question is a dumb question! Yes, in my company alone there were 3 that tried for Puerto Rico.
    CXC.III

--
    15 Aug 2016 08:48 PM
    Do you know if any of them got it? Idk what district I should choose man... its so tough. I dont want to not like where I am.
    elton2015

--
    16 Aug 2016 03:22 PM
    Multiple people in my company got Puerto Rico. Several got Hawaii. The two people who requested Alaska both got it as well.
    CXC.III

--
    16 Aug 2016 05:48 PM
    Puerto Rico seems like it would be awesome but I'm just not sure if id like it. I dont want to live in a little shitty hut in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do lol I'd be miserable. I have some serious thinking to do... 
    Damahone98

--
    18 Aug 2016 08:53 AM
    You'll have plenty to do. Don't have the mindset you'll hate your first unit. Even if you don't enjoy it, you can get your name on a A school list as soon as you're qualified and get out. But while you are there give your best effort (150%) and learn as much as you can! Good luck in Boot Camp, be sure to volunteer for a job in your company!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    19 Aug 2016 12:17 AM
    You never know what can happen.  The USCG in PR was just involved in the rescue of over over 500 people from a ship that was on fire.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    19 Aug 2016 05:06 PM
    Posted By CXC.III on 16 Aug 2016 05:48 PM
    Puerto Rico seems like it would be awesome but I'm just not sure if id like it. I dont want to live in a little shitty hut in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do lol I'd be miserable. I have some serious thinking to do... 

Or you'll be living in the barracks in San Juan, a city of like 2 million people....
    CXC.III

--
    22 Aug 2016 12:41 PM
    That'd be cool! I didnt know about that.. I dont know all that much about Puerto Rico. Im thinking Guam is my number 1 choice at the moment. Then PR or Hawaii.
    trevermclever

--
    31 Aug 2016 09:21 AM
    About how much money did you earn total during boot? I know they take all of your issued items out of your pay so I'm just curious as to how much did you end up with after boot?
    460fordnick

--
    01 Sep 2016 04:04 PM
    Congratulations on passing boot camp! I got one question for you. On the first PT test do you do the push-ups until your chest hits the floor or until your chest hit a yoga block? Thank you
    Damahone98

--
    04 Sep 2016 01:49 PM
    MONEY, you do pay for everything they issue you so when all was said and done I had about $1k. It does vary however. Another random "tip" Take care of everything they issue you, it is your own stuff and it's not free so don't just toss things around because it seems like you got it for free, you didn't. For the PUSH-UPS, your chest must hit the block each time, and your entire body must go up and down not just your chest.
    Zman25

--
    07 Sep 2016 01:36 PM
    I have a question. When my son enlisted he was told that he missed M.E. 'A' School by 2 points. However he was told that after he got to his first station he could request a waiver as he was within 5 points of the required score. Is this true or is this something that can be handled at boot camp?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    07 Sep 2016 01:56 PM
    It cannot be handled at boot camp and I do not believe they are allowing those waivers anymore. I think he will have to retake the ASVAB and try to get a higher score. If he gets a lower score though, that is his new score.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Sep 2016 03:40 PM
    I think the waiver for the 5 points may still be in play... It is retaking only certain sections that you can't do. You must retake the whole ASVAB. But I'm not 100% about the waiver. MKelly generally has excellent knowledge on these things, I would certainly defer to his answer. That has changed a few times in the last year or so. Tell your son to not even worry about that right now. He needs to focus on boot camp and getting through that. Once he does, then he can approach his command with those questions. There is no need to add extra stress in boot. He also might see another rating he knew nothing about and go in a totally different direction and not even need to worry about the 2 points.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Zman25

--
    08 Sep 2016 12:53 PM
    Thanks guys. You would kow better than I but I do believe the waiver is still in play. Only 15 days left of boot camp. You are right O.G. maybe he will find something totally different and that's great as well!. Whatever he decides i'm very proud of him.
    FTrejo

--
    09 Sep 2016 03:28 PM
    Congrats on completing Boot! My son is due to graduate on the 30th of September. Once your ceremony is complete are you free to leave that Friday or do you have to stick around?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Sep 2016 11:35 PM
    Once graduation is over they can depart. Most want to rather quickly. Don't forget to stop by the exchange and get some Coastie swag.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement