Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Enlistment Q's - Bonuses, Rank, and A-school
Last Post 22 Sep 2016 05:00 AM by AirDale13. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TacticalBadger

--
06 Sep 2016 12:50 PM

Hello everyone.  I have decided to join the Coast Guard.  Currently my medical information and papers are being processed by MEPS, and I am waiting to here from my recruiter to go for my medical exam.  Here are several questions I have.

1.  What kinds of signing bonuses are available right now if any?  I believe I read in this forum there is a $2000 signing bonus for 4 years and other bonuses for certain rates.  What are these rates?  I also found the following that explains bonuses and rates.  Is this the most current information? http://www.uscg.mil/announcements/a...LCOAST.txt

2.  Is there a way to guarantee the A-School I would like to attent before I join?  I would like to be an HST and go on to become a Physicians Assistant.

3.  Can I negotiate the rank I go in as to E-3?  I scored an 88 on my ASVAB and have a 2 year associate’s degree. 

I would love to have the most current information, because I have heard it can change quickly.  Thanks to all, I appreciate your time and advice!

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:32 PM
    As you have said things change and can change quickly. Your recruiter has the up to date info. Currently there is a $2000 sign on bonus that you get after you complete Boot Camp. It will not be $2000 but the post tax amount. The rate you are interesting in is not on the current current needs list so you can't go directly from Boot Camp to school. The current A school wait for a HS is 12 to 18 months. This means you will graduate and go to the fleet or station as a non rate E2 or E3. I'm not sure if you degree will get you E3 or not. Once at you assignment you have qualification course work to complete. After four months and the completion of your quals plus recommendation of your command you can put your name on the school list and wait.

Hope this helps.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:35 PM
    Bingo, in a nutshell. Answer given. We are quickly closing in on the end of FY2016. Things for FY2017 may change rapidly. I can almost 100% guarantee HS will not be a guaranteed A School ever. There might come a time but in all my years I'm not sure I have ever seen that on the critical rating and boot to A option. Like I said, you never know but I would not count on it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TacticalBadger

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:41 PM
    Thanks m1ashooter for the quick reply. So will I always have the freedom to choose which A-School I will go to and will guaranteed be accepted after the wait time?
    TacticalBadger

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:43 PM
    Oh so qualifications, sorry I missed that. After those are passed I would assume?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:43 PM
    You have to have a qualifying ASVAB score. You also need to pass any physicals or security clearances. But yes, pretty much the CG world is open to you, whatever rating you choose.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TacticalBadger

--
    06 Sep 2016 01:48 PM
    Awesome, thanks Old Guard2. Do you know if E3 can be negotiated?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Sep 2016 02:44 PM
    Nothing is really negotiable in the military. You you might qualify for the pay grade of E3 based on your academic degree but I can't find a reference to that anywhere. I know that completion of HS JROTC will enable you to enlist as an E3. Your recruiter should know if your academics will allow you to enlist as an E3. Knowledge is power during the enlistment process.
    TacticalBadger

--
    06 Sep 2016 02:59 PM
    Thank you guys, all these questions were answered well!
    CXC.III

--
    19 Sep 2016 09:22 AM
    So as of right now there is a 2000 dollar bonus for completing bootcamp? If I and waiting to ship out and have my ship date does this still include me? what if i am about to ship and that bonus changes...would I still be able to receive it?

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    19 Sep 2016 11:09 AM
    Yes you should get the bonus call your recruiter

And only bachelor's degrees are getting people in for E3
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    19 Sep 2016 05:15 PM
    Bonuses are entered in when your boot camp reservation is made. Whatever is in effect the day your boot camp date was approved will be what you get.
    CXC.III

--
    20 Sep 2016 03:52 AM
    Posted By AirDale13 on 19 Sep 2016 05:15 PM
    Bonuses are entered in when your boot camp reservation is made. Whatever is in effect the day your boot camp date was approved will be what you get.

Ahh I got it  I will give him a call soon. Thanks Bells and Airdale.
    zack22

--
    20 Sep 2016 12:21 PM
    Posted By Bells on 19 Sep 2016 11:09 AM

My recruiter told me they are doing e-3 for anyone with 60 credit hours. I have my associates and he said I qualify.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    20 Sep 2016 03:26 PM
    Posted By zack22 on 20 Sep 2016 12:21 PM
    Posted By Bells on 19 Sep 2016 11:09 AM

My recruiter told me they are doing e-3 for anyone with 60 credit hours. I have my associates and he said I qualify.

What Bells said was in effect for FY16. FY17 is now upon us for recruiting. I did not notice any changes to the plan for E3 but I will double check tonight.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Sep 2016 09:51 PM
    Airdale is a current Recruiter! He's going to have the answers. Something else to think about is if you are interested in a bonus that is being offered by a specific rating, you don't need to come in with it in your contract, as long as you can sign for it before it goes away it'll still be available, even for those that are already at the A-School, they can still sign for it even if they originally decided on the rating not knowing it was going to come up with a bonus.

That being said, we don't know how long they are going to be offered for. The fact that they made almost nobody for the May 2016 SWE cuts could be an indication that the CG is going to slow down a little bit again. Do any of our senior leaders have any insight on what HYT and crsp is looking like this next year? Or advancement in General?
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    22 Sep 2016 05:00 AM
    Yup. 60+ college credits gets you E3 for FY17.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement