Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions before enlisting about being married
Last Post 17 Sep 2016 11:32 AM by zack22. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
zack22

--
09 Sep 2016 08:34 AM
    Hello,

I am 28 years old and have been talking with a recruiter. He informed me that the USCG recently upped their age limit to 32 so I no longer needed to do an age waiver, pretty excited about that! The only thing holding us back is the fact we own a home and I was wondering if I could pick yalls brains about this.

-Would it be possible to rent our home out rather than sell it? We happen to have a friend looking for a rent house and it would be perfect.

-If we were to sell the home, where is my wife supposed to live without going over the income/debt ratio?

-My recruiter also informed me that because I have an associates degree that I will come out of basic training as an E-3, does that mean I could immediately put my name on the A School list?

-Would my wife come and live with me directly after basic? What if I am stationed on a cutter?

Sorry for all the questions, it is just the unknown that is making this process stressful. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to give!
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    09 Sep 2016 10:46 AM
    1. You can rent or sell your home. Thats up to you. Its your home to do with as you please. Realize though, that until the sale is final, it is still your home and counts as debt. If you rent it, the rental income becomes part of your income on your debt to income calculation.

2.Where your wife stays is up to the both of you. We rented our house before I shipped off to boot camp and ended up staying with my wife's parents at the beach. It was great. Once you get out of boot camp and head to your first station, you will either live in government housing if available or you will most likely get 10 days to find a house with the BAH provided.

3. You still have to wait 4 months to put your name on a list. Coming out as an E-3 vs an E-2 doesn't mean all too much in the grand scheme of things. You'll make a little extra money which is nice. A little extra.

4. Your wife will come and live with you after Basic. The Military will move you both to where you need to be and she will actually get a dislocation allowance....A little extra money for having to move. If you are stationed on a cutter, since you are married, you will still get BAH or government housing for your wife and you. You'll have to sleep on the cutter some nights while your wife is at home. Each cutter and command has different rules about where their people sleep while breaking in but you will sleep on the cutter while on duty. If the cutter is out on a patrol when you get out of boot camp, they may fly you out to meet them at their next port and your wife will head to the cutters home port. A lot of different options but your wife will move with you.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    09 Sep 2016 10:47 AM
    The process is stressful. If your recruiter says you qualify for E3 then you will be paid as an E3 at Boot Camp. I believe you will be paid a E3's with dependents housing allowance. When you leave Boot Camp then you and your wife will live either in govt housing if they have any or on the economy. One concern I've always had about renting out my house is can I afford the payment if some one is not renting it!

Good Luck,
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    09 Sep 2016 03:04 PM
    I went in as an E2 even with an associates. Haven't seen an update to an E3 alcoast. Anyone seen different?
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    09 Sep 2016 03:35 PM
    I haven't seen an update but recruiting incentives are not always updated by ALCOAST. The recruiters would have received a message by now outlining the incentives for fiscal year 17. Only way to find out what is currently offered is to call them.
    zack22

--
    17 Sep 2016 11:32 AM
    Thank you all for the responses. I think we have decided to just try and sell the house and my wife will live with her parents,
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement