Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Socal
Last Post 15 Sep 2016 10:06 PM by hedgehogger. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
hedgehogger

--
14 Sep 2016 02:28 PM
    Greetings all! I'm very new here so allow me to quickly explain/introduce myself. I'm currently in college studying in the STEM field with hopes to work in public service for a career. I've been really wanting to volunteer in a public service capacity again (I did it in high school for a public safety agency) and the USCG aux seems to be the most exciting and the place where I feel I could give it my all and could benefit from that effort. I had a few questions:
    -There are quite a few flotillas in the Orange County area so does anybody know anything about each one?
    -With my previous volunteer experience, there was a 5 day sleep-in training. How does the training for the auxiliary work? Is there a long course that is taken straight away or is it broken up into sections? And are classes for qualifications offered similarly?
    -What is the expected time commitment of a member? I don't ask this to meet the bare minimum but I would like to know what is expected (weekdays, weekends, holidays, days, nights, etc.)?

Thanks!
    A lost soul wandering
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    15 Sep 2016 05:33 AM
    We'd be glad to have you.
    1 I'm in the east, so can't help you there, except to say you are welcome, and usually encouraged, to visit each and find the one that fits you. Different flotillas often have different interests, so look for one that matches your interests. If you are interested in augmenting the Active Duty, make sure the flotillas you visit have those opportunities, and the Active Duty unit will work with you. Around here they want us. But different commands are different, and those decisions rest with them.
    2 There is plenty of training available, some is general and required, some is specific to your interests. While there is training which requires travel available, it is usually specific to particular jobs.
    3 There is no minimum required. It is what you can do. Young folks and old folks seem to have the most time to give. Folks with families, not so much. If you qualify in boat crew or air crew, there is a minimum number of hours per year to maintain the qual. If you qualify to augment a station, and the Active Duty puts the time in for you to meet their requirements, they will expect you to use those skills.
    Good luck.
    hedgehogger

--
    15 Sep 2016 05:55 PM
    If none of the local flotillas are nearby an active unit (the closest is 50 miles away), is it safe to assume that there will be no augmenting active duty?
    A lost soul wandering
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    15 Sep 2016 09:15 PM
    Not necessarily. The station which is our order issuing authority uses Aux augmentation. I know some of the people involved. Most live less than 50 miles away though. We are like 80 to 100 away. But all the flotillas in the division get together and supply Thanksgiving dinner for the folks on active duty and their families, as well as a Christmas party with stuff for the kids. For some of the young non-rates it's their first time away during a holiday. So you can support the Active Duty without actually augmenting. The flip side is that the Active Duty folks are great about helping us keep our quals.

What the Aux does for the CG is take on a lot of the boating safety classes that keep people from doing stupid things (mostly). We do a lot of safety patrols in our area, as the Active and Reserve simply can't cover it.

Bottom line is it is up to you. If you don't mind traveling 100 miles round trip a couple times a month to augment, then find a flotilla willing to let you do that. Standing a 4 hour comms watch for an Active Duty person relieves them to study, or sometimes just sleep. But it takes a lot of their time to get someone qualified, and they will want a commitment from you in return.

hedgehogger

--
    15 Sep 2016 10:06 PM
    I probably won't be making that drive then. But I'm still in it for the vessel inspections and coast patrols. Thanks for your help!
    A lost soul wandering
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement