Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Service - USCG realistically
Last Post 18 Oct 2016 06:00 AM by tumonsands. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Gamboa

--
15 Sep 2016 02:51 AM
    Just wanted to know the realistic chance of going from AD Army, to USCG. I'm combat arms E-5. I read that USCG does take prior service, but I've never met or heard of anyone who has, not in the Army atleast. Would I have to redo the whole MEPS process? Where would I start, and how early can I try and get something rolling? I have about 14 months before I ETS.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Sep 2016 07:51 AM
    The CG welcomes prior service with pretty much open arms. I know there are some things, time in service, rank, age, things like that which might not allow you to make the transition. But if you fall within the parameters, you can absolutely come on over to CG. You will have to redo MEPS and retake your ASVAB. You'll also have to repeat boot camp. I know, all of that sounds so exciting, you can't wait! LOL. I do believe you will come in as an E3. I don't know if that will be a problem for you. Some MIGHT retain their rank but it has to be something that translates from your service MOS to CG ratings. Let's face it, combat arms, not really going to lateral into CG ratings.

We have a few recruiters on this forum and a few that only just left recruiting billets. I know they have really great answers and will be along to help as they can. Feel free to ask away. I also believe you need to be 6 months or less from ETS before you can start trying. At least it gives you some time to think about it. Thank you for your service in the Army and hopefully welcome to the CG family. Stay safe out there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    15 Sep 2016 10:32 AM
    Ive put in Army folks and Im prior Army myself. There is a good chance. You should contact a recruiting office to see if you meet the accession requirements.
    Gamboa

--
    15 Sep 2016 11:12 AM
    Thanks for the info and help guys
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Sep 2016 09:46 PM
    My sons new shipmate and friend is a 31 year old family man who was an E5 he took a cut to E3 to transfer over.
    mickey_aw

--
    17 Oct 2016 10:11 PM
    I have the same issue now. How can we get DD 368 approve? My retention said AD is not authorized to get DD 368 to other services. Is there anything we can show to him? Thanks.
    tumonsands

--
    18 Oct 2016 06:00 AM
    not sure about AD Army re: DD 368 to transfer service- I'm transferring from Army NG, but I started with my CG recruiter. He/she will email you with a Request for Conditional Release that both of you will sign. You'll probably have to route that to you're admin NCO or to your S-1. At which point everyone's gonna freak out and try to get you to stay in. Anyway, your unit or command will have a checklist for you to do as part of your out processing.

Just to share, my CSM met w/ me multiple times to persuade me stay in..ahem..discourage me from transferring. He gave the big picture about the Army as a whole downsizing but trying to maintain soldiers to keep their budget blah blah blah.

I started preparing my DD 368 packet October last year and it was approved this August. Now I'm slotted for DEPOT in October 30th. Good luck!

p.s I redid MEPS, ASVAB, and I'm E-5 entering CG as an E-3

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement