Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
How to prevent ODU's from devolving into a crappy state
Last Post 25 Sep 2016 10:18 AM by TheLonelyOS. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
misheru

--
19 Sep 2016 07:07 PM
    Hello shipmates, I come to you today in hopes of discovering the secrets to proper ODU uniform care. 

I request to absorb the long-passed down tips and tricks by polished yeomen and sharp bosn's mates to preventing ODUs from becoming a lighter blue, riddled by white faded seams and edges, pilling collars, and overall looking more antiquated.

Is it the ironing? the laundry detergent? the dryer?

What is slowly condemning my uniform to a state of deterioration?

Thank you
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    19 Sep 2016 10:25 PM
    I would try to turn your ODU's inside out and wash on delicate/cold, air dry or dry them on low heat, iron them on low with steam if you are going to iron them. If you do all of this, you will probably have them last about as long as they should last. Nothing fancy
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    20 Sep 2016 07:02 AM
    The trick is to never wash them. Just spray them with Febreze every so often.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Sep 2016 10:18 AM
    At a land unit you can get away with a uniform a week, on a ship, pants go pretty quickly and the washers and dryers usually aren't very forgiving. I used to let them air dry but got over it. I've also dyed uniforms but got over too. Right now I'm rocking two pairs of new pants with year old blouses, and will probably get two more new sets next year. I stopped buying four at a time after my first unit, now I only do two at a time and then maybe a perfect uniform ready set.

Try and get to lucky bags
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Sep 2016 12:32 PM
    Do they have lucky bags at other places other than bootcamp?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Sep 2016 04:16 PM
    Stealth, before A School my son raided the lucky bag at the exchange in Boston. He got damn near a sea bag full for less than a hundred bucks! He was soooooo happy!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Sep 2016 04:17 PM
    Posted By sardaddy on 20 Sep 2016 08:02 AM
    The trick is to never wash them. Just spray them with Febreze every so often.

Best answer ever!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Sep 2016 08:42 PM
    Right after I posted I went to the one in Yorktown. All the training centers and most large sectors/combined bases will have one. Basically anywhere where a large amount of people would get kicked out will have one.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Sep 2016 05:31 AM
    I wash mine in cold water with hypoallergenic detergent then hang them up to dry. It seems to work pretty well.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    25 Sep 2016 10:18 AM
    Cold water is the best thing I've seen so far.

I knew an FS1 that would be a uniform piece every two months just in case. Worked out pretty well for him
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement