Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just graduated DEPOT Sep 16, 2016. Ask away.
Last Post 20 May 2017 12:03 PM by mpc88. 35 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
cwebber

--
20 Sep 2016 05:59 PM
    Just graduated DEPOT 05-16. It is a tough program. I'll do my best to answer any questions.
    kylesmith050612

--
    20 Sep 2016 06:48 PM
    What was your day to day like? How hard is it physically? I am pretty decent shape already was more just curious.
    cwebber

--
    20 Sep 2016 07:22 PM
    Some days started with FIRE FIRE FIRE. You run outside and exercise first thing in the morning. Try to wake up just before the CC's wake you up so you are not confused when you wake up. If you have a watch alarm you can set that to help. We didn't do that every morning but a lot. We then had about 15 minutes to get ready for the morning. We would go to morning chow around 7ish. Then we would go to different classes, lunch, and supper. Usually we messed something up and would get IT in various forms. We would wake up around 0530 and go to sleep around 2200. We had watch at some point during the night. Expect to get screamed at. Know your required knowledge. Be ready to pass the pt test.

The physical aspect wasn't terrible. Match yourself with the standards and make sure you can exceed them. If you are in decent shape, you should be fine. We did have a few that didn't pass the pt tests and have to wake up an hour earlier for remediation. Some never passed. The IT can be rough, just keep pushing and it will be over before too long. We started with 34 and graduated 29.
    kylesmith050612

--
    20 Sep 2016 07:26 PM
    That sounds like basically the same thing for Air Force basic training. I am prior service looking to switch over. Kind of what I figured just thought I would get some insight.
    cwebber

--
    20 Sep 2016 07:33 PM
    We had prior service members from every branch. They all said that DEPOT was a lot harder than they thought it would be and in many aspects harder than what they went through before. It is more mental than physical.
    tumonsands

--
    20 Sep 2016 08:53 PM
    1) At what point do you request your dream sheet and when do you find out your first duty station?

2) I am prior service scheduled for DEPOT October 30th and I'm shipping from OCONUS. With that said, If I bring a small luggage (carry on) is there a secure area it can be locked up during DEPOT?
    I'm asking because I need some personal belongings to get settled into my first duty station and it is impractical and very expensive to fly back home prior to reporting to my first duty station.

Jmax2626

--
    20 Sep 2016 09:50 PM
    How did the non prior military members fair in depot. I too am scheduled depot October 30 and I'm a little nervous because I'm non prior military and I just want to be as prepared as possible. You mentioned how difficult it was mentally is there any other advice you can give to prepare for that or anything you wish you had done to be more prepared. Also anything you wish you had brought and didn't or anything you were glad you did bring. Thanks
    Jmax2626

--
    20 Sep 2016 09:58 PM
    Also you mentioned that 5 in your class didn't make it were they all for physical reasons or what?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    21 Sep 2016 04:20 PM
    1) I'm sure the CCs will pull aside those that are going active to fill out the dream sheet at some point. Most DEPOT recruits are reservist.

2) yes, everything not allowed during bootcamp gets locked in a secure area in the building. 

cwebber

--
    24 Sep 2016 10:30 AM
    DEPOT is not mainly reservists anymore. The Coast Guard needs people at the moment, so they are putting a lot more active duty in the DEPOT program. We had 15 active duty and 14 reservists graduate. The active duty did dream sheets pretty quick. It was around the end of week one.

The first day, you lock up your personal bags in a storage room.
    cwebber

--
    24 Sep 2016 10:54 AM
    I am non prior and made it through just fine. Just go into it with the attitude that nothing is going to stop you from graduating. Remember that it is a game. Once you learn how to play, you are fine. Whatever the Company Commanders say, remember. If you do what they say to the best of your ability, and you are LOUD, they tend to leave you alone. It will take a little bit to learn how to communicate with them, but it's all part of the process. KNOW YOUR REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE (rates and ranks, general orders, the song Semper Paratus, etc)! The more you know ahead of time, the better off and less stressed you will be. There will be other stuff that changes everyday you have to memorize, so get the stuff you can memorized now. I wish I had brought chapstick lol.
    cwebber

--
    24 Sep 2016 10:59 AM
    The 5 that didn't make it... one didn't pass sit-ups, one didn't pass swim quals. I think two were medical. The first morning we woke up, one was gone. Not really sure what happened there, but we saw them with an 8 week company later.
    Jmax2626

--
    24 Sep 2016 01:48 PM
    Thanks for the info
    cwebber

--
    24 Sep 2016 01:54 PM
    No problem! Keep the questions coming. You can pm me or just keep posting here.
    Kjt1030

--
    24 Sep 2016 08:19 PM
    Just curious what the age breakdown for the people in your class? Youngest? Oldest? Average?
    cwebber

--
    25 Sep 2016 09:56 PM
    Youngest- 22
    Oldest- 40
    Most were late 20s/early 30s.
    MtnMan

--
    07 Oct 2016 02:18 PM
    what exactly does it mean to receive a "Tracker"?
    cwebber

--
    07 Oct 2016 10:40 PM
    You are required to carry a "Performance Tracker" in your front left breast pocket. Whenever you do something stupid or mess up you have to pull it out and write down what you did. Then you submit them at night before you hit the rack. It's pretty much so they can see if you are doing the same stupid thing over and over.
    Metzler18

--
    08 Oct 2016 12:05 AM
    Are performance trackers handed out very often? How many is the norm to get reverted?
    cwebber

--
    09 Oct 2016 08:22 PM
    In DEPOT, you are not going to get reverted unless you do not pass something or you do something really stupid. I only had to pull out my tracker 3 times. It didn't seem like there were actually ever any consequences for them in DEPOT. I think the 8 weekers use them a lot more.
    Metzler18

--
    09 Oct 2016 09:42 PM
    What's the difference between DEPOT and the normal 8 week basic training?
    cwebber

--
    10 Oct 2016 01:58 PM
    DEPOT is 3 weeks. It is for prior service members and people who are a little older with life experience and usually a degree.
    Cavazos

--
    18 Oct 2016 09:14 AM
    Hey Webber, congratulations on graduating! I have a few questions for you:
    • What is required to pass the swimming qualification and what did you do during training to prepare for it?
    • What is graduation like, and if you have family come and see you - how much time do you have to spend with them and where can you go?
    • After graduation, what's the process like for moving on? You get an airplane to your next unit right away? Are there any holdovers that must wait for "A" school?
    • And lastly, how much time did you get during Sundays? I imagine many people used it to catch up on things they were behind.
    When I went through Army boot camp, I was a holdover for a month waiting for combat medic school. It was cleaning the base up for a straight month. For me Army boot camp was easy to pass, but those 2 months felt like 6 months.
    cwebber

--
    19 Oct 2016 11:54 AM
    The swim was very easy I thought. You have to jump off a 6ft platform and swim around an olympic size pool. Then you tread water for five minutes. I am a strong swimmer, so I really didn't train at all for the swim. If you are a decent swimmer, you will be fine. If you can't swim very good then you might need to worry.

Graduation is not as cool as the 8 week graduations. No other companies are there, no drill team, no band. It is tucked away in the Ida Lewis Auditorium. There is no family day like some of the other branches have. We graduated at 8:00 am. After that, you are free to do what you want. My wife, son, and parents came. I loaded up my stuff, took my wife to get her military ID, went to the exchange, then left. My family rented a cabin at the Cape May KOA. It was decent and cheap. We spent a little time in downtown Cape May. It is a really nice place. Then we went to Philadelphia, got a cheese steak, went to Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Benjamin Franklin's Grave, etc. There is a video on youtube of a DEPOT graduation.

I am reserve, so I rode home with my family after graduation, then reported to my unit a month later. If you are active, you can take 5 days leave after grad plus you get a certain number of travel days to get to your unit. You can fly straight to your unit or you can take leave then go. If you drive instead of fly, you get per diem. If your orders are to A school but you have time before class starts, you will go to A school and work on base while you wait. You wont stay at Cape May. The only people who had to stay at Cape May for a few weeks were dental holds.

Divine hours were from 0800-1300 on Sundays. We used it to study, shine shoes, uniform prep, write letters, etc. Some people went to church. The last Sunday there, we were allowed to have our phones.

Make sure you know your required knowledge BEFORE you go! 
    Jmax2626

--
    19 Oct 2016 04:15 PM
    So in the required knowledge when you are asked for an E-9 what is the correct response because there a four names listed. Also difference between O-7 and O-8. Thanks
    Cavazos

--
    20 Oct 2016 10:16 PM
    That sounds really fun Webber. 

When they asked you about the chain of command, how did they do it?

And lastly, how were ranks described?

I got this for practicing my rank descriptions and got some of the descriptions from the manual, but please let me know how close it is to what you did:

OFFICER

O-8 Rear Admiral
    • Shoulder Board: 1 and 1/2 inch gold lace on blue shoulder boards with zero two silver stars below zero one silver anchor behind zero one silver coast guard shield on a field of blue.

• Sleeve Lacing: zero one 2 and 1/2 inch gold stripe below zero one 1/2 inch gold stripe below zero one gold shield on a field of blue.

• Collar Insignia: zero two silver stars.

ENLISTED

E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard
    • Sleeve Insignia: zero three gold chevrons below zero one gold shield below zero one gold rocker below zero one white perched eagle below zero three gold stars on a field of blue.

• Collar Insignia: zero one gold anchor behind zero one silver coast guard shield below zero three silver stars.

Good luck at your new unit!
    Amiesdestiny

--
    11 Nov 2016 08:27 AM
    I found a great study site https://quizlet.com/ you just search for the required knowledge you want to study and find flashcards, matching games and practice tests. You can make your own too.
    lightsandsiren

--
    02 Feb 2017 10:00 AM
    Dental hold, meaning recruits that have dental issues? 

Will there be enough time to send/receive letters during the three week period? I remember it taking a while to get a letter back during Army BCT. 

How would one graduate DEPOT as en E-4, if that is actually possible. It seems like there is a lot of contradicting information out there. I have six years of intelligence experience in the Army and one year as a civilian LEO. I will be trying out for the OS rating on the Active Duty side. 

Are DEPOT recruits treated any different than "8 week recruits"?

Thank you in advance! 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    02 Feb 2017 11:16 AM
    Posted By lightsandsiren on 02 Feb 2017 10:00 AM
    Dental hold, meaning recruits that have dental issues? 

Will there be enough time to send/receive letters during the three week period? I remember it taking a while to get a letter back during Army BCT. 

How would one graduate DEPOT as en E-4, if that is actually possible. It seems like there is a lot of contradicting information out there. I have six years of intelligence experience in the Army and one year as a civilian LEO. I will be trying out for the OS rating on the Active Duty side. 

Are DEPOT recruits treated any different than "8 week recruits"?

Thank you in advance! 

Mainly those that need their wisdom teeth out etc. 

You dont have time for letters its 20 days , let your significant other miss you.

E4 You would have to be a rate the coastguard needs , usually only prior coastguard , rates are Os, mk, CS , Et, Em. You will get orders from boot to os a school since you have 6 years active. 

Depot are treated the same but more is expected obviousy , expect to put 8 weeks of training into 20 days 

Goodluck 
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    lightsandsiren

--
    03 Feb 2017 02:57 PM
    Thank you! 
    I've got some wisdom teeth, one definitely needs out. Should I get it done before shipping out then? 

Any advice for physical fitness? What was your longest run? 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement