Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Time after boot
Last Post 27 Sep 2016 03:46 PM by mkelly. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
zack22

--
25 Sep 2016 11:06 AM
    What happens in the days directly after basic training? I've heard you get leave to get things in order, at this point do you go home, get your things, and move to your first duty station? Does the CG hire a moving company and how does that work?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    25 Sep 2016 04:19 PM
    You get 5 days of leave, and then any authorized days of travel to get to your first unit. During the last couple weeks of bootcamp their admin personnel will walk you through your move and travel arrangements. Generally the timing will not line up so that you are home during the move, so you need a releasing authority.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    zack22

--
    25 Sep 2016 08:17 PM
    Posted By Bells on 25 Sep 2016 05:19 PM
    You get 5 days of leave, and then any authorized days of travel to get to your first unit. During the last couple weeks of bootcamp their admin personnel will walk you through your move and travel arrangements. Generally the timing will not line up so that you are home during the move, so you need a releasing authority.

Can you please explain what a releasing authority is? Sounds like someone that you give authority to sign paperwork in your place, am I on the right track?

Does the CG move your things or do I pay for that? 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to inform the wife so she can be prepared.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    25 Sep 2016 10:20 PM
    I've attached a document called Its You Move.
    http://www.ustranscom.mil/dtr/part-...pp_k_1.pdf

You might have to cut and paste it to make it work. In short everyone has a weight allowance and the government will move you door to door at that allowance. They will pack you and unpack you. The more rank you have the more weight you are allowed. Out of book camp its 5,000 lbs. Since you are married I'd recommend that you get settled into your post boot camp assignment before bringing her, Get the lay of the land and available housing.
    zack22

--
    26 Sep 2016 07:55 AM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 25 Sep 2016 11:20 PM
    I've attached a document called Its You Move.
    http://www.ustranscom.mil/dtr/part-...pp_k_1.pdf

You might have to cut and paste it to make it work. In short everyone has a weight allowance and the government will move you door to door at that allowance. They will pack you and unpack you. The more rank you have the more weight you are allowed. Out of book camp its 5,000 lbs. Since you are married I'd recommend that you get settled into your post boot camp assignment before bringing her, Get the lay of the land and available housing.

Thank you very much for the information and link, it was very helpful.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Sep 2016 08:11 AM
    I hate to disagree with M1, he always gives solid advice. I would not leave my spouse behind. You transfer, she goes. Unless there is a valid reason not to... Finishing a college degree, 8 months pregnant wants to have the baby with OB doc she knows, already have children and there is only 1 month left in the school year allow them to finish it and catch up afterwards. Otherwise no. I transferred with my husband many times. We got the lay of the land together. I didn't want him picking OUR housing, if it was on the economy, I wanted say in where I was living. If it was on base housing, they may make you wait until your spouse arrives and if she delays, all housing might be full when she gets there, forcing you to live on the economy. You transfer, she goes.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    27 Sep 2016 03:46 PM
    I'm with Old Guard on this one too. First off, I love travel time with my family to the new unit. It's like a mini vacation and you all get to explore together. Next, in my mind, the new home is way more important to my wife and family than me. They will most likely be spending more time there than myself and I want them to be happy when I'm gone. Its fun picking a new house together if you make it fun and I try to keep my wife involved in every decision possible that way she is a partner in the whole process. I don't want to move somewhere new, pick a new place because it convenient to me and have it be terrible for my wife and kids. Enjoy the adventure together!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement