Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp in winter?
Last Post 31 Oct 2016 03:14 PM by Old Guard2. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Wardoftheflies

--
25 Sep 2016 06:27 PM
    So I find out my boot camp ship date tomorrow and I think it will be sometime between now and the first of the year.  Any information regarding bootcamp during the winter is welcome on this post, but my main questions are as follows:

1.  Are thermal underwear a must have? If so should I have 5 or 6 pairs to wear one everyday?

2.  I have heard something about boot camp taking a 2 week break during winter? If so how does that work?

3.  If any of you had a chance at a bootcamp do-over, what would you bring with you that you didn't think you would need or what would you change about your preparation?

Thank you in advance for any help/knowledge,  I am extremely excited to start my transition from civilian to military member.  
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    25 Sep 2016 11:25 PM
    Great question. I asked this same one last year before by son headed to Camp May. He started the last week of January and is from the Gulf Coast and winter was new. He took the blue polypros but never wore them. In fact he used a piece to polish his boots.

Once you are at boot camp it will not shut down for you. They might delay starting a new company but those already in the system grind on.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Sep 2016 03:08 AM
    As M1 stated, thermals are nice to have, most never use them. Keep in mind off you put them on, you can't take them off, not easily anyway. If you're in a classroom the last thing you want is to get overheated. You might want to take a pair... I'll bet you never wear it. Also remember everything in your rack must be folded and perfect. Do you really want to add several pairs of long johns to that???

Some boot camps give their recruits 2 weeks off at Christmas. The CG does not. You will have thanksgiving day and Christmas day off to participate in Operation Fireside but that it's the only time off you'll receive.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Wardoftheflies

--
    26 Sep 2016 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the info!  I don't even like long johns anyway, I'd rather be a little cold outside than sweating in class.  Looks like I'll be shipping out Nov. 8th, my recruiter says that's the earliest I could at least.  I go to swear in next week so it's really happening.  From here I'm just working on having the required knowledge down and continuing my workouts. Thanks again.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Sep 2016 04:28 PM
    That's election day. Go to your local town hall and see about getting an absentee ballot and casting your vote before you leave. Congratulations.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Sep 2016 04:30 PM
    I just looked and you will be in Cape May for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have you heard of Operation Fireside? Your company, if earned, will be able to participate in both. Believe me it is a welcome rest and many recruits and/or their families stay in touch with the host families even after graduation.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    26 Sep 2016 11:17 PM
    Great time to be in NJ. It doesn't get nasty until late Jan usually. Good luck at Boot Camp.
    Stirkd04

--
    13 Oct 2016 02:15 PM
    I ship out November 15th, that following week is Thanksgiving. Considering that I would be forming that Friday would we as a company still be eligible to participate in Operation Fireside considering we would have formed the less than a week before?
    HammerheaD

--
    19 Oct 2016 11:57 PM
    When I went through, operation fireside for Christmas was in our second week. We got to be a part of it just like every other company so I think you will. As oldguard mentioned to another member, you should be able to participate in both thanksgiving and Christmas as long as you don't have physical or disciplinary remedial. When I did it, I wished it had been in my later weeks because it was hard to have a nice day like that away from boot camp, knowing that I had 6 weeks left to go. That night was rough haha. Having two will be a nice break for your company. Good luck and have fun. It will be over before you know it.
    Cavazos

--
    20 Oct 2016 10:22 PM
    Is the swimming pool heated?
    HammerheaD

--
    23 Oct 2016 09:57 PM
    Yes it is. And, as long as you don't need remedial swim training you will only be in it a couple times anyways. Once for your swim test, and once for your dry suit and survival training. The latter was actually a lot of fun.
    BigFootSteppin

--
    27 Oct 2016 09:54 AM
    Whats kind of items should you bring with yourself if you're going to bootcamp in winter?
    HammerheaD

--
    27 Oct 2016 10:15 PM
    When I went it was the middle of winter, and the only things they didn't really issue you in terms of clothes were regular underwear, thermal underwear/long johns, and white v-necks. All of the extra stuff I brought just ended up being more for me to fold and deal with on a daily basis. Other than clothes, bring envelopes and stamps. They will issue you everything you need, and toiletries can be bought at the exchange on base. The helmsman that you get from your recruiter will list what you CAN bring, but most of it will just be extra. I'd have a razor and shaving cream if you are a male (just for the first couple mornings) but if you need more, you can get those there.
    hooligan

--
    30 Oct 2016 11:21 PM
    It may just be with all that extreme excitment, you won't need extra thermal underwear. The excitment of being there at boot camp could keep you warm by itself, and the people training you will of course be concerned about your comfort at all times.
    Enjoy basic training, because they're certainly going to enjoy having you there, believe me. Heck, I'd enjoy training you there myself, it would be a pleasure, filled with wonderful moments of personal growth and spurts of new self confidence. Bring as many thermal jammies as you think you're gonna need...
    All the best.
    Stirkd04

--
    31 Oct 2016 03:04 PM
    About that Operation Fireside, I have family who wish to adopt me over Christmas. Which is awesome because family! However I read this article.

http://bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive....ireside-2/

Which discourages having family do this so as noy distract from training or lose focus. For those that have experienced Operation Fireside has it been detrimental to your training, or did you find it encouraged you?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Oct 2016 03:14 PM
    I would follow the Coast Guard instructions. Family taking their own recruit is greatly discouraged. Families apply for Operation Fireside months in advance. You go to the host families home. Your family doesn't show up and take you to a restaurant.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement