Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Is there a way to be "mentally" prepared for boot camp?
Last Post 04 Dec 2016 08:25 AM by Damahone98. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Metzler18

--
02 Oct 2016 01:42 AM
    Hello all, so I just turned 18 not too long ago, and it's clear that bootcamp is extremely tough mentally, and physically but I'm more worried about the mental part. I can deal with stress pretty well, but my problem is that I sometimes take things said to me personally (it's just my personality) would it be extremely tough to not "break" throughout bootcamp? Any help/guidance would be extremely helpful! I'd consider myself pretty "mature" for an 18 year old, however you take that, but I don't know if I should wait a few years to mature more, so it'd be easier. Nonetheless looking forward to it.
    MtnMan

--
    02 Oct 2016 11:27 AM
    Hey Metzler18. I attended bootcamp during the winter of 2014. unfortunately I washed out during week 4 due to personal reasons, But I was approved for a waiver to reenlist and I am going back to MEPS in a couple weeks! Anyways, my best advice is to understand that your CCs will pick on everybody, and just remember that they dont really know you. So when they do scream at you in the galley, or make you push the deck for a number of various reasons, or make you repeat a phrase at the top of your lungs for half an hour ( shipmates! keep your eyes in the boat!, shipmates!) , They are trying to weed out the ones who cant take the pressure. They want you to succeed, but they have to know YOU really WANT to. as long as you keep your eyes straight, Sound off really loud!, and give it your all... you will be golden
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Oct 2016 03:44 PM
    If you are doubting the experience because you are doubting yourself, then it sounds like you need figure out what it is in yourself that you can strengthen. If you know that you take things personally, then be prepared to take about a million things personally over the course of the 8 weeks. Mental preparation is tailored to each individual and can only truly be solved by that individual. If you're looking for somebody to say that you're never going to get yelled at personally or called out personally, than this probably isn't the forum. Everybody fails at something in boot camp and it will be seen by everybody. Figure out what you need to do to get past that failure and work on it. The answer to your mental success lies within your own mind.
    If you don't think you can make it, you probably can't. Thats kind of how anything works in life.
    Metzler18

--
    02 Oct 2016 03:53 PM
    Thank you guys for the response, I appreciate it. I believe I'd be able to make it through, it's just the fact that since I am young (although that is no excuse at all as to why I couldn't make it) I may have a terrible time as I'm still "maturing" I guess you could say. I've been trying hard to work on not taking stuff personally, but I think everything else would be alright. Thank you again for the advice.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    02 Oct 2016 04:31 PM
    Maturing is part of the process. In boot camp they will break you down in order to build you up. If you are going to enter the fleet, they want to ensure that you are mentally tough and mature enough to overcome the challenges you will face.

Study your required knowledge, prepare physically, and keep in mind your end goal.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    02 Oct 2016 08:19 PM
    Do not think of yourself as young. We have plenty of 18 year old riflemen involved in combat operations. You are made up of the same stuff as them.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Oct 2016 11:36 PM
    Remember that there's a reason that boot camp is run this way. You're going to be put in some very stressful situations while in the CG. Your instructors want to be reasonably sure you're not going to crack when the s**t hits the fan and become totally useless to your crew. Picture this: You're out of boot camp and assigned to a small boat station on California's North Coast. When you went to bed that night the weather was getting bad, winds picking up and heavy rain headed your way. You've been in bed about three hours and the SAR alarm blares. As you make your way to the boat, you see that the weather has gotten MUCH worse since you went to bed. You find out that a boat with a family on board has become disabled. Your job is to get out there, find them, and bring them home safely. This is not the time to find out you can't handle stress.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Metzler18

--
    04 Oct 2016 01:28 AM
    Well thank you so much for the positive, non-hate filled replies. That makes sense, sorry if it seemed as if it was a stupid question, but I just want to be as prepared as possible, than arrive as a mess.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2016 05:11 AM
    No one here truly tries to hate on anyone. We want to provide good, sound advice. It might sometimes come off a little harsh, which I don't think anything did in this thread, but sometimes truth hurts.

I think you'll be fine.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Metzler18

--
    04 Oct 2016 10:45 AM
    Thank you for believing in me! I think i'd be able to do it too, but like I said, it'd be best to probably be as prepared as I could be. Do you mind answering a few questions? Such as "what is a sound off?" I hear people talking about "sounding off loudly" or something along the lines of that, I get why you should do it loudly, it's bootcamp so that's obvious, but I'm clueless as to what it is.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    04 Oct 2016 11:42 AM
    Sounding off is the concept of speak so you can be heard. If its yelling then so be it. One of the reasons is to get people used to talking loudly because at sea your ship is making noise and you have the noise of the sea so mumbling doesn't work very well.
    Metzler18

--
    04 Oct 2016 01:18 PM
    Ah, that makes perfect sense. I thought of it as a way of like "roll call" if you will. Thanks for the information, I was so confused what it was. Thank you.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Oct 2016 08:24 AM
    If any acronyms or phrases throw you off, just ask. We'll be happy to help. I remember when my ex went to boot camp and I got that first phone call. Jim told me they were rumored to be getting "the hardest" CC in all of Cape May. His name was Beeemmonestott. I thought what the hell kind of name is that?!?!?!?! No, no BM1 Stott. Boatswain Mate First Class Stott. Now someone says something like that, it all sounds normal to me. A few years later I was walking through a mall with our son, he was probably about 10, and I see a Coastie. We were a fairly good distance apart and I said "Hi Chief, how ya doin'?" He smiled and said something along the lines of fine ma'am, how are you. Colin asked do you know him? Nope. How did you know he was a Chief? I saw the anchor on his collar. Colin was still confused by that. Colin is now a Coastie, following in his dad's footsteps, and he can spot a rank, rating, insignia on the chest, ribbons, from 100 yards plus. LOL What seems strange now, once you are in the CG, seems like second nature.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Metzler18

--
    05 Oct 2016 03:17 PM
    That's funny! I am so excited to get started on this new chapter of life (hopefully), just have to get through the rest of senior year now.
    Damahone98

--
    04 Dec 2016 08:25 AM
    You're supposed to break in boot camp. They break you, and rebuild you how they want you to be. That doesn't mean you're meant to crumble to the point that they can build you back up though. In my opinion, the only thing you need to be mentally prepared for boot camp, is determined to graduate. When you have that mindset, you'll learn your required knowledge, you'll push yourself during IT sessions, you'll be louder than everyone, you'll make your rack better, you'll study for your tests, and most importantly you'll help out your shipmates. If you get there, and boot camp is too much stress for you and you crumble (some people do, it's part of the process and nothing to be ashamed about because you at least had the guts to volunteer) then the Coast Guard is not for you. If you can't handle the artificial stress in a safe and controlled environment then you won't be able to handle it in a real environment. So go if you're determined and motivated and graduate at the top of your Company!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement