Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Role of MEs and where they are stationed
Last Post 17 Oct 2016 06:01 PM by tumonsands. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cacisdobb1199

--
08 Oct 2016 01:25 PM
     2016 12:30 PM
    • Edit
    • Alert
    Yes I've seen all the USCG short little videos and all the YouTube videos on the Me rate but I'd really like to ask some actual veterans or people with information.  I'm desperate for any information I guess my first question is if I apply to the Me school after boot camp am I gurenteed a spot on the wait list?? Also what day to day life as an Me like are the majority stationed on a cutter or land, ive read the majority of LE is done by MKs and such is this true, basically any information on this specific rate will be extremely helpful but I do an open mind to other rates and roles just from what I've read I understand you really don't know what rate you want to be untill youre stationed with your first unit this just seems the most appealing to me at the time I.e( law enforcement wise)
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Oct 2016 12:47 PM
    You're going to be training other personnel at your unit in MLE. You'll be doing some boardings, but so will everyone else that's qualified. Anyone in any rating can do MLE, as long as they're qualified. I will also tell you CG law enforcement is nothing like civilian LE. You're not making arrests or anything like that.

As far as being guaranteed a spot in A school, as long as you have the requisite ASVAB scores, you can put your name on the A school list. Of course this is after being at your first unit a minimum of four months and getting Command endorsement.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    PVT Pablo

--
    10 Oct 2016 04:08 PM
    Cacisdobb1199, yes, you once you graduate from Boot Camp you will be able to put your name on the ME 'A' School wait list. This is the most recent list. https://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf

ME jobs vary greatly depending on what unit you go to. Here's a generalization of each unit;

Station-
    At a Station as an ME you will be taking care of the Armory, logging weapons use and maintenance. You will get Boarding Officer and Crew Member qualified. You will take the lead on most law enforcement activities and ensure that all LE related paperwork is accurate. You will get underway on the Station small boats. You will conduct LE training for your station.

Sector-
    At a Sector you will be the law enforcement arm at that Sector. You will conduct High Interest Vessel boardings (special vessels designated for you to board by higher). You will also assist the station with their boardings and conduct local area security patrols on land. You will train local area units.

Cutter-
    You will get underway and be part of the Law Enforcement team that deploys from the cutter. You will conduct training for the crew.

TACTLET-
    At a TACLET you will get underway on US Navy and foreign navy vessels for international law enforcement. You will deploy world wide.

MSRT-
    At MSRT you will get qualified as an Assaulter and conduct anti-terrorism around the world. Assaulter is ME only. 

If you have any specific questions about any specific unit, let me know, I've been to all of them.

blaneypark

--
    10 Oct 2016 05:29 PM
    PVT, I have one. Now Ive been retired long before the ME rate came around, But isn't that what most BM's or other boarding officers do at stations, ships and anythine else you mentioned? Just asking.
    PVT Pablo

--
    10 Oct 2016 06:14 PM
    blaneypark, yes that's pretty much how it is for stations and cutters. Instead of having a BM designated a "Law Enforcement Petty Officer" there is an ME designated to do that job. As far as Sectors, Taclets, and MSRT, those are so very different from any BM job and are very law enforcement specific.
    Cacisdobb1199

--
    16 Oct 2016 05:53 PM
    PVT Pablo, thank you that clears up alot of questions I had! Really appreciate it
    tumonsands

--
    16 Oct 2016 07:50 PM
    PVT Pablo, a few questions:

without violating opsec where have you deployed with TACLET?

what are my chances of getting into MSRT or TACLET out of A School?

I want to get into ME, specifically DSF. It just sucks the wait list is 2 years. In the mean time, I've heard non-rates assigned to Fast Response Cutters or patrol boats/small boat stations in a busy district (i.e. District 7)  get a lot of LE experience. Is this correct? What would you recommend for hands on LE as a non rate?

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Oct 2016 10:03 AM
    I've heard non-rates assigned to Fast Response Cutters or patrol boats/small boat stations in a busy district (i.e. District 7) get a lot of LE experience. Is this correct?

That is correct. D7 FRCs do a lot of LE and migrant interdiction. Non-rates can get LE qualified participate in both missions.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    PVT Pablo

--
    17 Oct 2016 03:17 PM
    Posted By tumonsands on 16 Oct 2016 08:50 PM

I want to get into ME, specifically DSF. It just sucks the wait list is 2 years. In the mean time, I've heard non-rates assigned to Fast Response Cutters or patrol boats/small boat stations in a busy district (i.e. District 7)  get a lot of LE experience. Is this correct? What would you recommend for hands on LE as a non rate?

tumonsands,

TACLET deployed to my unit in the Caribbean to assist with anti-terrorism and counter drug missions.

The chances of you getting MSRT or TACLET out of A School are extremely high. Previously, MSRT was reserved for ME3's who had already had a tour under their belt. Things have changed and now ME3's straight from A School are going to MSRT, in fact we just received a bunch of brand new ME3's a few weeks ago.

Don't let the A School wait discourage you. I waited three years to the day to go to ME A School. If you are interested in DSF that's pretty much the only way to go. Any station in a high trafficked port or smaller cutter will get you LE experience, but don't get hung up on that either. A School and C Schools will get you where you need to be if you want to be an ME.
    tumonsands

--
    17 Oct 2016 06:01 PM
    Posted By PVT Pablo on 17 Oct 2016 04:17 PM
    Posted By tumonsands on 16 Oct 2016 08:50 PM

tumonsands,

TACLET deployed to my unit in the Caribbean to assist with anti-terrorism and counter drug missions.

The chances of you getting MSRT or TACLET out of A School are extremely high. Previously, MSRT was reserved for ME3's who had already had a tour under their belt. Things have changed and now ME3's straight from A School are going to MSRT, in fact we just received a bunch of brand new ME3's a few weeks ago.

Don't let the A School wait discourage you. I waited three years to the day to go to ME A School. If you are interested in DSF that's pretty much the only way to go. Any station in a high trafficked port or smaller cutter will get you LE experience, but don't get hung up on that either. A School and C Schools will get you where you need to be if you want to be an ME.
    Thank you, this is great information. I want to make a career out of this and eventually go to OCS

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement