Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
aspiring CG Aux member
Last Post 07 Nov 2016 02:14 PM by TheBigLake. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chuck001

--
12 Oct 2016 06:52 AM
    I'm attending a meeting in a couple weeks to begin the process of joining the aux.  Quick question.  Do members get opportunities to deploy on cutters, buoy tender, patrol boats (i.e. 110, 180, etc)?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    12 Oct 2016 11:54 AM
    The short answer is yes. The longer answer is it depends on what you qualify for, command approval, and need for augmentation. Not necessarily in that order. You have a lot of AUX quals to get through first.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    12 Oct 2016 11:58 AM
    Right, so I just saw on the Welcome page you're an ex-Coastie. So you probably have all the quals needed to do what you intend (I'm guessing here). Go for it.
    chuck001

--
    13 Oct 2016 07:28 AM
    Thanks for the insight Auxnoob. I was a Radarman (merged with TC's in '04), made E-5 and watch sup. I also have a 100 ton near coastal license and I would like to get my 200 so I figured cutter time would be golden. Of course, this is not the reason I'm joining but would be a nice little kicker..
    RCRice

--
    03 Nov 2016 01:21 PM
    I know a couple of people who have gone to sea with cutters. I've been invited, multiple times, by the 210 that I support to go to sea with them.  Unfortunately, its never been doable for me, given work and family commitments. 

The key issue is you have to qualify. If you want to qualify in an active duty job, you have to meet all the requirements. I know a guy in my AUX flotilla, who was a radioman when he was an enlisted CG member 35 years ago.  He's retired now, and went and qualified as a communications watchstander.  He now stands communications watch in the Sector radio room. Took him a while to complete the qualification. But, if you can meet the qualification standard, and do the job professionally - there are all kinds of things you can do as an AUX. 

But yes - can and does happen that AUXies go to sea.  It all depends on what the unit needs. If they have a spare rack, and there is something you can do that adds value, you can end up with an opportunity to go to sea. 

If you live near the homeport for a cutter or buoy tender, you start by figuring out a way to volunteer for the ship when they are inport.  Do that, so they can look you over and figure out that you will carry your weight and fill a need for them.  Once you've worked for them a while, then tell the CO/XO that if there were an opportunity to go to sea with them, you'd be up for that. 

On the AUX side - look at qualifying in the AUX-FS program. The Coast Guard service wide is worried about shortages of FS qualified members.  Big issue for cutters.  Do the AUX-FS qualification, volunteer inport for a cutter or buoy tender near you when in port, then offer to go to sea with them.  AUXFS regularly gets calls from CG units needing help.  Including requests from cutters/buoy tenders. 

TheBigLake

--
    07 Nov 2016 02:14 PM
    Anyone do any cutter service in the Great Lakes?

It would be awesome to serve on an ice breaker, but I can see how we could be an obvious liability. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement