Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Auto Regisration
Last Post 18 Oct 2016 04:00 PM by CTCG. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CTCG

--
14 Oct 2016 01:31 PM
    Hi everyone,

Long story short. I bought a car for my 17 year old son to get to school and work. He pays for the car (the best he can) but since he is 17 I had to put my name on the Regisration, title and note. I contacted the lien holder to see if I could add his name to the registration, I was told that was impossible. 

He will be going to BC this winter and then off to his first duty station. Assuming he can bring a car to his first duty station, will he be able to get a pass for his car if the registration is in my name ?
    Thanks in advance. 

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Oct 2016 04:35 PM
    You can either "sell" it to him, or keep it registered out of state, and he'll have to bring it back to renew it. If it was in his name, as a military member we can usually get away with not registering our cars in new states, but since it's yours, you'll have to keep current on it
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    14 Oct 2016 04:59 PM
    Also there is an affidavit that the DMV will take for military to get that states license plates. All he has to do is fill out, get it signed by the CO or the officer in charge of records and bring some of the car information and he is golden.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    CTCG

--
    14 Oct 2016 05:23 PM
    Hi Bells,

Thanks for the quick reply.   It would be easy for me to keep the car registered in our home state, there is no inspection and it can be done on the Internet. 

Back in the olden days when I was in the service we had to get base stickers for our vehicles. This required insurance and registration in our individual name. I wonder if this is a requirement for CG installations. 

While the simplest solution would be to transfer the car into his name the lien holder will not do that. They say I would need to refinance through a third party, I would rather avoid the taxes and transaction costs as the car is upside-down. 

I guess what I'm asking in a long round about way is will he be able to get on base,and park, a vehicle that is registered to his father.

Thanks
    CTCG

--
    14 Oct 2016 05:31 PM
    Posted By TheLonelyOS on 14 Oct 2016 05:59 PM
    Also there is an affidavit that the DMV will take for military to get that states license plates. All he has to do is fill out, get it signed by the CO or the officer in charge of records and bring some of the car information and he is golden.

Hi Lonely,

The problem is the vehicle is in my name, it would be expensive to transfer ownership to my soon-to-be Coastie son.

It's always something
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    14 Oct 2016 10:36 PM
    I know some others will add there expertise to this. I'm not even sure if you have to register the vehicles like we did on other big bases. I will tell you our experience. We co signed for our sons new car when he got out of Boot Camp. He had been on our insurance which was around 90 bucks a month. The minute we registered his car in his name and checked out the insurance rates I became sick. Because he is now out of our home his rates went through the roof. If he had gone off to college then he would be at the $90. He is paying a lot of money. The good thing he garages the car everytime they ship out which lowers his payment. So think about the insurance costs. We didn't.
    blaneypark

--
    15 Oct 2016 07:04 AM
    Check with the DMV of your state. Some you can transfer titles within a family at little or no cost.
    CTCG

--
    15 Oct 2016 07:52 AM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 14 Oct 2016 11:36 PM
    I know some others will add there expertise to this. I'm not even sure if you have to register the vehicles like we did on other big bases. I will tell you our experience. We co signed for our sons new car when he got out of Boot Camp. He had been on our insurance which was around 90 bucks a month. The minute we registered his car in his name and checked out the insurance rates I became sick. Because he is now out of our home his rates went through the roof. If he had gone off to college then he would be at the $90. He is paying a lot of money. The good thing he garages the car everytime they ship out which lowers his payment. So think about the insurance costs. We didn't.

Hi m1a,

Thanks for the reply.  We are already in the insurance briar patch,  I think he pays $250 a month.  While it might seem grand of us to buy him a car it was actually much cheaper than him going off to a private college .  He is/was always a good kid (now young man) and you can't tell a kid to work and go to school without the mechanisms to achieve the goal. 

I'd be more than happy to maintain the status quo but I fear he will go to his first duty station and not be able to get on base with the car registered in my name.  I'm a professional worrier. 

As an aside, while I'm big fan of the 14 I was an early adopter of the mouse gun at Perry way back when

Have the best weekend. 

CTCG

--
    15 Oct 2016 08:01 AM
    Posted By blaneypark on 15 Oct 2016 08:04 AM
    Check with the DMV of your state. Some you can transfer titles within a family at little or no cost.

Hi Blarney,

Thanks for the reply.  The issue is the lien holder, to wit, Toyota Financial, won't let us add our son to the registration. 

When we bought this car the issue of base passes was not on our radar

Have the best weekend.  

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Oct 2016 09:35 AM
    To clarify the issue of base stickers. they're no longer issued by the CG and most DoD facilities. I say "most," because I believe some USMC bases are still doing it, but they're about it.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    CTCG

--
    15 Oct 2016 09:51 AM
    Posted By CPORJM on 15 Oct 2016 10:35 AM
    To clarify the issue of base stickers. they're no longer issued by the CG and most DoD facilities..

Chief,

Thanks for valuable information, one issue out of the way. 

I know this is really my son's responsibility to find the answers but I'm having trouble letting go

Have a great weekend.  

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    17 Oct 2016 04:58 AM
    My son's car was in my wife's and my name while he was on board the Forward. He never had an issue getting on base (he lived on the cutter). That was a major base. He has since transferred to a small boat station, again with no issues. We will be going through the transfer of title thing pretty soon though...
    CTCG

--
    17 Oct 2016 06:41 AM
    Posted By Auxnoob on 17 Oct 2016 05:58 AM
    My son's car was in my wife's and my name while he was on board the Forward. He never had an issue getting on base (he lived on the cutter). That was a major base. He has since transferred to a small boat station, again with no issues. We will be going through the transfer of title thing pretty soon though...

Hi Aux,

Thanks for the encouraging news.  My son is scheduled for BC this winter and my wife and I are trying to get loose ends tied up.  

As you can imagine it is both an exciting yet sad time for us.

Have a good week. 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    18 Oct 2016 04:52 AM
    If it can easily be kept registered in your state then there shouldn't be a problem. Our bases don't require stickers or really have any oversight on vehicles anymore. Where it might become a problem is if he goes to Hawaii or another place outside the continental US. Shipping a car OCONUS is a pain, however I do know a nonrate was able to ship his that was in his dad's name off the island (Hawaii). Another thing is I cannot remember if out of state cars needed a safety check. If they do then the safety check people are really strict on paper work, and it's a rather new system.

Is it something worth stressing about now? No, but maybe down the road it might become easier to sell it to him and he gets his own loan. Hey, he's an adult, and without Housing Allowance he'll make anywhere around 750$ every two weeks while he's a nonrate. Is it a ton of money? No, but it's doable because they don't have any other expenses.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    CTCG

--
    18 Oct 2016 04:00 PM
    Posted By Bells on 18 Oct 2016 05:52 AM
    If it can easily be kept registered in your state then there shouldn't be a problem. Our bases don't require stickers or really have any oversight on vehicles anymore. Where it might become a problem is if he goes to Hawaii or another place outside the continental US. Shipping a car OCONUS is a pain, however I do know a nonrate was able to ship his that was in his dad's name off the island (Hawaii). Another thing is I cannot remember if out of state cars needed a safety check. If they do then the safety check people are really strict on paper work, and it's a rather new system.

Is it something worth stressing about now? No, but maybe down the road it might become easier to sell it to him and he gets his own loan. Hey, he's an adult, and without Housing Allowance he'll make anywhere around 750$ every two weeks while he's a nonrate. Is it a ton of money? No, but it's doable because they don't have any other expenses.

Hi Bells,

You are right it's a problem for another day.  If he gets sent OCONUS we will figure out a solution.  I would prefer that it was all his, including the note 

Thanks for the help.  

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement