Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CGIS - Reserve Investigator - Next 2017 Depot? - questions
Last Post 24 Oct 2016 05:11 AM by Sarge. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sarge

--
22 Oct 2016 03:19 PM
    I have been in the process for about a year and half now and have been told the next DEPOT class is in Jan of 2017. I just have a few questions to the IV's out there:

How long is DEPOT? I am a prior service so I've been through boot camp before and know the drill. Is this basically a crash course boot camp?

After completion how long before FLETC gives the next CGIS course? and how long is that? 2 weeks?

Also, I have read things on this forum before in regards to advancing to CWO Investigator? However, I have been told there aren't any reserve billets for CWO's. So advancement would be strictly in the enlisted realm for the IV rating. I don't mind just figured id ask to clarify.

How often can you volunteer to activate for extended periods of time at your local CGIS office for more experience?

blaneypark

--
    23 Oct 2016 08:39 AM
    What rank would you be coming into the CG and what was your prior service?

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Oct 2016 02:11 PM
    I've been in the CG Reserve for 15 years and an IV for the past 11 years, so I can answer your questions:

DEPOT is three weeks.  It's specifically designed for Reservists who are enlisting on the basis of their civilian job skill set, or prior service who are enlisting in the active duty CG.  As to what actually goes on there, I can't say, as DEPOT did not exist when I came in. 

The CGIS FLETC course is two weeks at Brunswick.  As of now, there's no schedule for when the next course will convine.

There are only three CWO billets in the Reserve side of CGIS, in effect this really means there's no CWO path.  You'll advance in the IV rating.  Advancement from IV3 through IV1 is not too difficult.  Getting to Chief and beyond will be challenging.

As for volunteering for active duty periods, it's based strictly on unit needs, and funding. Those opportunities may never present themselves. You may spend your entire career doing your two days a month and two weeks a year.  I've been fortuante. I've been on active duty assignments three times in my CGIS career (five times in my entire CGR career).  2006-07 for one year; 2010 for 60 days; 2015 for 30 days.

Occasionally, CGIS offices in other parts of the country may need bodies, and you can volunteer for those.  That would mean leaving your family and civilian occupation for some period of time, so you need to make sure everyone's good with that.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me here.

**Mods please move to the Reserve or Ratings sub forum**
    Thanks Chief.  Moved to correct area.  
    Regards,
    Old Guard2 Macie
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Sarge

--
    24 Oct 2016 05:09 AM
    Thank you very much Chief!
    Sarge

--
    24 Oct 2016 05:11 AM
    Posted By blaneypark on 23 Oct 2016 09:39 AM
    What rank would you be coming into the CG and what was your prior service?

Active Navy Intel, IS1 6 years of service. I am waiting on the finalization to find out what the hard copy contract looks like. I have been told E6 or E5, not sure yet.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement