Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question
Last Post 19 Nov 2016 09:32 PM by SchoonerBum. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Pooter

--
06 Nov 2016 01:40 AM
    My son recently received his orders and is really not happy about the job he has been assigned.  He was assigned an office job at one of the bases which is not what he is good at and what he dreads most.  

He would rather scrape barnacles, clean bilges or paint hulls than sit in an office doing paperwork while waiting for his A school.

My question is as follows:  Are non rates allowed to request job changes once they are at their assigned station?

So far from his letters he has had a great experience in basic and is keeping a good attitude.  If he has to, he will man up and sit in a cubicle and do what he is told but I think he would like to understand if there is any option.

Thanks for any info. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    06 Nov 2016 07:18 AM
    They can do a mutual transfer but it will be completely out his own pocket and will have to get his command to allow him to do it.

I've only seen it happen once in my time in so far and as a non rate, it'll be pretty low
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Nov 2016 09:23 AM
    Man up time. The needs of the USCG come first. Just tell him to do the best he can and keep his ears and mind open. Also as you advance in a military career you will spend more time doing office type work. What job did he get?
    Pooter

--
    06 Nov 2016 07:38 PM
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

It sounded like a supply clerk job at a base.

To be a little more clear he knew he was going to do scut work while he waited for A school to start, thats not the issue. I know he was expecting to at least be on something that floated.  This is why he chose the CG over the other services.

Sounds like a job change to a cutter or boat , even if its at the same physical location, is unlikely.

Do I have that right?

Thanks again.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Nov 2016 08:28 PM
    Interesting. He will go to this location as a non rate and do what ever they need him to do. While there he will get qualified and once that is complete he can put his name on the A school list. He has to have a least 4 months on station and complete his quals before putting his name on the list. I'm sure after that if he wants a big white cutter he can get one.
    Pooter

--
    06 Nov 2016 09:01 PM
    We are a new family to the USCG so thanks again for taking the time to help us figure this out.  We are trying to be supportive of our recruit.

If I understand the sequence it goes something like this:

Basic:  2 months.

1st Duty station: The later of 4 months or when you get accepted into A school, however you can only apply for your A school after 4 months on your first station.

Now you are on a waiting list where E3's are taken first.  I've read that most people make E3 6 months after basic.  The school he wants has a 3 month wait.

So if I have this right, its really 11 months from start of enlistment to get into your A school. 2 months basic+6 months to get to E3 and get up the list+3months waiting.

A school is 3 months.

So by the time you show up to do the job you wanted is about 14 months +/-, leaving the Coast Guard with about 2.5 years of your 4 year enlistment of productive work in your desired job.

So is he really looking at a desk job on a base for 9 months?

I was in the USAF. We went from basic to tech school to a base and started working so I'm just trying to understand how this all works.

He is in, and committed and we are proud of him for doing so.  

Thank you sir for helping me understand how this all works.  

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    06 Nov 2016 10:06 PM
    Your son will be just fine. However, if he's already made up his mind about his billet then he's going to be in for a miserable year or two.

Maybe he's not excited about working in an office, but he will likely have a pretty nice schedule that will allow him to get involved in a lot of stuff outside of work such as sports, school, volunteering, etc. He'll probably get some computer/technical/paperwork skills that other non-rates on cutters aren't getting, and which he can put to use later in his career.

Being happy and successful in the CG is largely determined by your own attitude. Plenty of people get billets they aren't excited about at some point.
    blaneypark

--
    07 Nov 2016 07:09 AM
    As an E-6 I wasn't very excited when the CG gave me a set of orders to Isolated duty. That was a one year billet. I made the best out of it and actually had fun while there. All Coastie jobs are not perfect. All ao them are what you make of it.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    07 Nov 2016 09:07 AM
    Office work for an E-2/E-3 os going to be about as good as it gets. What is his first unit? I have never seen a non rate who just works in the office unless they are on limited duty or on their way out. You can see exactly how long the wait list is for your son's school by clicking on the link on the home page of this forum or google USCG "A" school list. You'll even be able to see your son move up the list each month until he gets orders for school. If your son is worried about having a cushy desk job as a non rate, I don't think he will have to worry at all. I'm sure he will be doing more than just supply stuff. It will be a good opportunity for him to learn about that side of the Coast Guard though and will be useful at some point in his career to have that knowledge.
    Being a non rate in the Coast Guard at a land billet isn't bad at all. Do your work, go home, have fun...but don't get in trouble while you wait for "A" school.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Nov 2016 03:13 PM
    My then fiancé went to the recruiter to see about enlisting. He was shown this video... 44 foot boats, crossing the bar at Cape Disappointment. The boat is tossing, turning, rolling over, crashing through the surf. OMG the excitement, yeah, yeah, yeah THAT'S what I want to do. Woohoo, gonna save lives, gonna ride crazy waves! Off to boot camp. First station Kodiak, Alaska... in the MAA shack. Translation he worked in the barracks vacuuming floors, checking in and out people coming and going, room inspections. Not really out there crossing the Cape D bar on a rolling boat. Then he transferred departments as a nonrate... to the mailroom! He went to the airport every day to pick up mail, brought it back, sorted it and then delivered it to the ships at dock. Wow, the excitement, I don't know how he contained himself. Between those 2 jobs, the wait from boot camp to A School was just shy of 2 years, about 22 months. Was it glamorous? Was it what he had dreamed of that day walking out of the recruiters office? No, not even close. Did he enjoy his time? I would venture to say about 95% of the time he was happy and was glad to be a part of the CG. We married, we also divorced about 12 years later. But he went on to have a 30 year career in the Coast Guard and retired as an O6 (Captain). Even looking back to those nonrate days of excitement working a vacuum or a floor polisher or sorting mail, I don't there are many days he would have traded for doing anything else.

Like MKelly says, Jim got to enjoy a lot of down time, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking. He got to pick the rating he wanted (MST) and turned it into a great career. The time spent in the CG, either as a nonrate or an Admiral is only as rewarding as you make it. If you want to be gloomy Gus, you can be handed a primo job and still be miserable and bring your shipmates down with you. No one starts at the top but if you serve with pride, you can get what you want and to the top of the ladder if you so choose. Tell your son not to be down, this is merely a stepping stone in his career.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    18 Nov 2016 04:25 PM
    Time for your son to man up and do the job the USCG is sending him to do. Not everyone enjoys the duty station they get sent to, but they man up and do the job they are assigned....it's called needs of the service. He will eventually move on to bigger and better things.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Nov 2016 10:59 PM
    Did he think everything was going to be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows? As a member of the Service, and a low ranking one at that, he's subject to going wherever he's needed. This is not a forever assignment.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    SchoonerBum

--
    19 Nov 2016 09:32 PM
    I got a WLR75 in the midst of broiling heat, and all the normal poison plants. I love it.

I hate the poison ivy, bit love the people and work.

All I have to say is enjoy what you het, because it probably will be not what you choose.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement