Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ASVAB Score Questions
Last Post 19 Nov 2016 07:41 PM by SchoonerBum. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Coastie2Coastie

--
09 Nov 2016 03:12 AM
    Hello everyone, I'd like to thank anyone in advance for reading my question and giving their advice/time to help me out. I recently took the ASVAB at my local MEPS station and received an overall score of 90. I've looked online and have found that 90 is a pretty decent score. My questions include: How important is the ASVAB score to a CG career when picking my rate? Do higher ASVAB scores get priority over lower ASVAB scores? Are there any jobs I am not qualified for? (Enlisting Active Duty). I will be meeting with my recruiter in a few days to schedule a physical, I'd just like to be as informed as possible going into the meeting, and I don't want to bother him right now because I know it's a busy time of the year for recruiters trying to button up the end of the year. Thanks again for any information you can provide ladies and gents.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    09 Nov 2016 08:51 AM
    Congrats on your awesome ASVAB score, a 90 is very good. As for what it means, the 90 is your AFQT score which is actually a percentage. Basically it means you scored higher than 90% of the sample group who took the test. This score comes only from the Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC) and Word Knowledge (WK) portions of the test. Your 90 AFQT is what determines if you are qualified to enlist in the Coast Guard. I believe the minimum AFQT to enlist is a 40. As for what rates you qualify for that is mostly based on you individual line scores not your AFQT. Each section of the test will have an individual score and these determine what rates you qualify for. The score for each test is a number based on standard deviations. A line score of 50 is the median or average score while every ten points higher or lower than 50 is one standard deviation from the average. The higher your scores the better. Here is the site for the qualifications for each rate, https://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/ao/non-rate/rate%20requirements.asp As for priority, your high ASVAB scores make you more competitive against other applicants. So basically if your recruiter has only one slot open and two applicants your higher score will give you a higher chance of getting that slot. Your scores won't get you into "A" School any faster though, you have to get on the wait list just like everyone else. So in short with a 90 AFQT you probably qualify for everything but we can't know for sure without seeing your line scores and yes your scores make you competitive against other applicants but not in getting to "A" School faster.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    09 Nov 2016 09:54 AM
    Your recruiter can plug your score into a program to see what jobs you qualify for when you vist with them next. A AFQT score of 90 is very very good. Now get ready for Boot Camp.
    Coastie2Coastie

--
    09 Nov 2016 02:00 PM
    Thank you for your clarified responses. I have just spoken to my recruiter on the phone. My line scores qualify me for all rates available to active duty enlisted. That makes me very pleased. I'm going in with an open mind, and there are a lot of rates that I think I might be interested in, and don't want to have any closed doors. Now I am in the process of clearing my schedule to schedule a physical in the coming weeks. I am not worried about the physical because I have gone through MEPS process before in 2009 and was cleared. Nothing medically has changed for me since then. I'm extremely excited to start my CG career, can't wait till I graduate college in December. I plan to ship out in March if all goes as planned.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    09 Nov 2016 02:42 PM
    I ship in March too, I'll see you there! I hope you are excited to start this new life as much as I am. Good Luck!
    Coastie2Coastie

--
    09 Nov 2016 05:31 PM
    I'm extremely excited. It's something I've considered for a few years now, I just wanted to finish college first. It's all I think about aside to my studies in school, which I'll be finishing up in December. Then I'll be concentrating on getting in shape for 3 months for boot camp. I've already started training, but my schedule is not as free as I'd like it to be in order to get into the type of physical shape that I know bootcamp will demand. I'm planning on March, and my recruiter told me it is a strong possibility that can happen as long as everything checks out at MEPS. I'll repost later in a few weeks if my ship date ends up being in March.
    SchoonerBum

--
    19 Nov 2016 07:41 PM
    If you plan on enlisted, with a 4 year degree, know that you will probably be peers with 18-19 year olds. As someone who is in that boat currently (pun intended), you will be looked at as a leader in the non-rate pool.

PM me if you would like a better picture of what I'm talking about.

SN soon to be BM3
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement