Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Is living in an RV a viable option in the USCG?
Last Post 03 Jan 2017 12:39 PM by Old Guard2. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Wardoftheflies

--
23 Nov 2016 03:19 PM
    So I ship out to basic Dec. 13th.  My wife and I have been looking into getting an RV to live in after A school and I receive my orders.  Does anyone have experience in this or heard of a coastie that tried this route?  Would it effect BAH?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    23 Nov 2016 03:55 PM
    I have one friend who did this bc of the high cost of living and difficulty finding a place w/out a roommate where she was stationed. If you are paying rent on the campground where you're keeping the RV then I assume there are no legal issues with it.

My question would be why are you doing it? If it's just to save money, then I don't think it's a good idea. Especially if you're married, you should be receiving more than enough money to rent a traditional place. If you otherwise for some reason just really want to live in an RV then go for it.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Nov 2016 04:40 PM
    Unless you're going to buy the RV outright, you're going to have payments on that too. So, RV payments + campground rental is going to eat up your BAH pretty quick
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    blaneypark

--
    24 Nov 2016 10:02 AM
    Also depends on where you get stationed. If it is in the northern states the propane bill will eat up alot of money. I have a few friends that have wintered over in them Hard to keep it heated and frozen water and sewage lines are not fun.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    29 Dec 2016 07:56 AM
    I've known a couple of people in my military career that have lived in RV's or on their boats. The lifestyle suited them and they enjoyed it. So it can be done. But do it the right way. I had a friend who lived in his RV but he kept it parked in the storage lot on base. I think it cost $5 a month to store something in the lot. You got a key to the padlock on the gate and had your own designated spot. I parked a trailer there. This was a big Army base so it was a big, secured lot and it was for STORING a vehicle, not living in it.
    He had everything he needed and would drive off and dump the tanks when needed. It all went well for quite a while until he got a little too comfortable. He ran a very long extension cord through the fence and over to the next building so he could have power whenever he needed it and to charge his batteries. That is until the MPs found it and ensured he was kicked out of the storage lot.

I also knew a Coastie who only had an RV for a vehicle. So he would go to his RV park when he wasn't working and then drive it into work and park it in the lot with his family in tow. They say you shouldn't take your work home with you but I guess nobody told him that he shouldn't take his home to work with him.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jan 2017 12:39 PM
    that's hilarious about the extension cord. Let me just run to the exchange, I'm sure they have a thousand foot cord, I'll run it to the barracks. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement