Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ORL/HYT
Last Post 08 Dec 2016 08:58 AM by WPD1204. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
WPD1204

--
06 Dec 2016 07:22 PM
    I am Prior Service OS2. I separated from the navy in 2012 after 4 years. I am in talks with a recruiter to join the Coast Guard. I am interested in either OS or ME. As I was in security forces for the navy and also do civilian LE. The recruiter did not mention that ME was on the ORL but according to ALCOAST 156/16 it is. 

Can anyone verify that ME3 is indeed critical? I know this wouldn't eliminate the wait time for A School but it would definitely shorten it. 

Additionally, depending on the rate I chose to proceed with I could run into a HYT issue. 
    If i go OS I would have 6 years to advance from OS3(after A school) OS2 correct? If I go ME I would have the same six years to go from E3 to E5? with possible wait time of at least 2 years before I could even go to A school. 

If anyone could clear this up for me that would be appreciated. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    07 Dec 2016 03:07 PM
    I am not a recruiter but I was prior service Navy and Coastguard and completed my last tour as a yeoman before I got out. Im on my way back into the coast guard as an MK. From what I know you could possibly come in as an OS2 because its critical. I had prior navy OS1 come into the coastguard as an OS1 in my Pitstop class back in 2009 . OS rate is critical so if you come back in you would get a guaranteed a school right after boot for OS, thats if you didn't come back in as an OS2. If you work hard you have an opportunity to advance fast as an OS probably right there with FS.  In my opinion if you come back in as an OS you will have no issues with HYT. I'm sure that they wouldn't let you come in as a non rate to go ME. They told me that I had to come in as one of the critical rates... In my opinion come in as an OS .Now is probably your last chance as well as mine.  The ME rate is backed up since it was released its still around 24 month wait.  Here is the A school list .
    https://www.uscg.mil/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf
    IF you look at  ALCOAST 157/16 the most current bonus programs offered are for ET, EM, FS,
    MK & OS . Me isnt on that list and it shows that with the 24 month a school wait or longer.

The coastguard is a lot better than the navy. You will love it.. Good luck might see you in Depot.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    WPD1204

--
    07 Dec 2016 07:20 PM
    Honestly, I'm sold on the idea of coming in as an OS2. However, I don't see the Rating Force MC approving that: 1) I have been out for 5 years as of FEB. 2)I did little to no OS work during my time in the navy. That said, being guaranteed A School right after DEPOT is inticing, not to mention the $10,000 enlistment bonus. On the other hand my experience and knowledge base lies within the ME rating, not to mention I have a passion for LE. I know It's ultimately my choice, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some advice from anyone who may have experienced the same dilema.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Dec 2016 08:20 PM
    Posted By WPD1204 on 07 Dec 2016 08:20 PM
    Honestly, I'm sold on the idea of coming in as an OS2. However, I don't see the Rating Force MC approving that: 1) I have been out for 5 years as of FEB. 2)I did little to no OS work during my time in the navy. That said, being guaranteed A School right after DEPOT is inticing, not to mention the $10,000 enlistment bonus. On the other hand my experience and knowledge base lies within the ME rating, not to mention I have a passion for LE. I know It's ultimately my choice, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some advice from anyone who may have experienced the same dilema.
    Don't get hung up on the idea that only the ME rating can do MLE.  Everyone is eligible to do the MLE mission, as long as they're qualified. The only ratings that don't do it are the aviation ones.  

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    WPD1204

--
    08 Dec 2016 07:38 AM
    Posted By CPORJM on 07 Dec 2016 09:20 PM
    Posted By WPD1204 on 07 Dec 2016 08:20 PM
    Don't get hung up on the idea that only the ME rating can do MLE.  Everyone is eligible to do the MLE mission, as long as they're qualified. The only ratings that don't do it are the aviation ones.  

That was my next question. In the navy it's possible to work outside of your designated rating. From what Ive read that's even more true in the CG. I just wasn't certain if OS was one of those rates. In the navy I was part of a Mobile Security Squadron so most of my work was LE/Security even as an OS So from what I gather even as an OS in the CG there is the chance to perform LE duties?(which is ultimately my goal regardless of rate)
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    08 Dec 2016 07:56 AM
    When you're dong MLE, you're not working outside your rating. It's more like a collateral duty. Example: You're an OS2 on a cutter, but you're also boarding team member/boarding officer qualified and you're sailing around on your Great White Needle of Death. A vessel of opportunity presents itself and the boarding team is ordered to assemble. As long as you're not on watch, or something like that, you'd be part of that boarding team. As far as the ME rating goes, there's this idea that they do a lot of swinging from ropes and other tactic-ool stuff. What they do a lot of is training other members of their unit in MLE. There's an ME1 at CG Base San Pedro, where my unit is, and his job is that of firearms instructor. Some things to think about
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    WPD1204

--
    08 Dec 2016 08:58 AM
    Thanks for the info, Now I can make a more informed decision when the time comes. Thanks again!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement