Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
aux recruiter badge
Last Post 16 Jun 2017 03:04 PM by DaMaverick. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
eirikr1

--
08 Dec 2016 12:51 PM
    So our total membership keeps going down, and efforts to recruit younger recruits in addition to just new recruits, period, are not the success story they should be. Maybe it's time we introduced a recruiter badge similar to the US Navy's recruiter badge. And instead of the additional wreath, gold stars and etc for years, the additaments could signify new members that signed on. 

Yes, we have too much bling already, but a recruiter badge would recognize those performing a critical service - one we aren't doing too well in. And without new recruits, the rest of the organization and the it's missions can never reach potential.
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    08 Dec 2016 09:41 PM
    There is no need for this. Auxiliarists have too much junk on their uniforms as it is.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    09 Dec 2016 07:01 AM
    Aux Recruiter badge is for Aux who augment at a Recruiting Office and complete a PQS. Separate badge for those who augment Academy recruiting. There is a ribbon for those who recruit seven or more additional Aux past AP.
    eirikr1

--
    10 Dec 2016 07:02 PM
    re: " There is no need for this. Auxiliarists have too much junk on their uniforms as it is."

There's always somebody.
    ANything to do with uniforms, and especially bling, will (almost) always bring up the point that we have enough bling already.
    One of the main reasons for this is that yes, we have a quite a load of available bling already. But is it the right bling for the right reasons? The old auxcom course cost a friend of mine a sat afternoon listening to a speaker droning on about comms when he could have been having a beer instead. For that sacrifice, he earned the right to wear a ribbon. Others, however, are a different story. (such as ops for graduating boat crew or the ops medal for 60 underway hours, and others..)

As i stated, if we can't get new members, we will wither and stagnate; so I think this particular mission is more worthy than the several "everyone gets one" ribbons for being in the aux and paid up on a certain date.

The aux has a plethora and wide variety of bling on purpose - because the PTB consider it the aux paycheck. (and we're still not as generous/ridiculous as the Air force..) Nothing says that system can't be tweaked and fine tuned from time to time; windows OS has been getting/requiring an update every tues for over a few decades now....
    eirikr1

--
    10 Dec 2016 07:07 PM
    re "Aux Recruiter badge is for Aux who augment at a Recruiting Office and complete a PQS. Separate badge for those who augment Academy recruiting. There is a ribbon for those who recruit seven or more additional Aux past AP."

a recruiting office that's doing just fine without us. The aux recruiting badge would be designed to be at least slightly different that what you mention. It would have to be different even if we didn't want it to be. Getting seven past AP is getting harder and harder everyday. Given the high bar, and the critical core of this mission the ribbon could be and should be changed to a badge.
    PotomacAux

--
    04 Jan 2017 02:27 PM
    Although I agree that we have quite enough bling already, I am against this proposal because it doesn't get to the root causes of why our membership is declining.

We have little control over some of our decline. Our society is becoming evermore volunteer-fatigued. Lots of worthy causes looking for help. And lots of them not requiring the administrative and qualification loads that the Auxiliary has.

HQ has apparently decided that we need to be more professionalized. So we're seeing things like Mandated Training and -- at least in our part of the Auxiliary -- more operational risk management-type training burden. I'm convinced that HQ's intent is to downsize the membership and, therefore, downsize their overall risk exposure but whether you agree with that or not, most of the member dissatisfaction I hear about is from members that feel that we're not professionalized enough to suit them.

The part of membership flight we control most is how we recruit. We don't tell our story very well. Whenever we have a boat show booth next to the USPS, we usually compare poorly on just about every level from the eyes of Joe/Joette Boater. We're so freaked out about member flight that we let everyone in who can complete the paperwork, pay the dues, and pass a PSI. We lose most of those members and their impact on the ones who are borderline-engaged is morale-sapping, which feeds drop-out rate.

A piece of recruiting bling isn't going to fix that.

I don't see a problem with declining membership. By-and-far, most of the members we are losing aren't--and haven't been--active. If they leave and leave in their wake a smaller but more engaged organization, I say that's a better state than a bloated one full of people who can't fit in their uniforms and don't contribute much of value at all.
    eirikr1

--
    06 Jun 2017 02:48 PM

>We have little control over some of our decline. Our society is becoming evermore volunteer-fatigued. Lots of worthy causes looking for help. And lots of them not requiring the administrative and qualification loads that the Auxiliary has.

amen to that. And once one takes all these training courses, one finds that the AD / high silver don't really need (or desire ) more than a few auxies to do any real ops work beyond basic RBS. Without RBS auxies would be doing MT to qualify for computer data entry, administrivia, and more training that will never be used.

>HQ has apparently decided that we need to be more professionalized. So we're seeing things like Mandated Training and -- at least in our part of the Auxiliary -- more operational risk management-type training burden. I'm convinced that HQ's intent is to downsize the membership and, therefore, downsize their overall risk exposure but whether you agree with that or not, most of the member dissatisfaction I hear about is from members that feel that we're not professionalized enough to suit them.

Or being over-professionalized just to teach a few boat courses that citizens increasingly prefer to just take online. And yes, I do agree that HQ's intent could be to downsize the aux to a more optimal level. High silver has been taking a production / business management model of "pumping up the numbers" in auxdata and bragging on the 30,000 total metric. The AD might be less interested in high numbers, and more interested in the "right" numbers for the right areas.

>A piece of recruiting bling isn't going to fix that.

of course it will. It will fix all the ills of the aux, any and all problems of the the US Army, and the UN, all around the globe, and will do so within ten hours of being implemented. All for the one low price of $12.79, plus tax.

>I don't see a problem with declining membership. By-and-far, most of the members we are losing aren't--and haven't been--active.

I agree with the first part, that declining membership is not AUTOMATICALLY a problem. If we have a bunch of losers or pretenders and they're the ones' quitting...well, yeah, goodbye to garbage. But I frequently see the statement "most of the members we are losing aren't--and haven't been--active" yet never see any stats to prove it. Or even any reasons why an author believes it to be true.

> If they leave and leave in their wake a smaller but more engaged organization, I say that's a better state than a bloated one full of people who can't fit in their uniforms and don't contribute much of value at all.

that's three separate concepts all independent of each other. A member can be fat or trim and contributing or not, in an organization that is bloated/anemic/optimum or whatever.
    DaMaverick

--
    16 Jun 2017 03:04 PM
    One of the best ways to sell to get new recruits is to get those that are eager to get experience in a field. Meaning go to schools, not just high schools, not just colleges, but more trade schools to make offers and advertise. There are trade schools with people who wants to get in the field but never have and had difficulties getting a trade esp in IT that would love to get exp even if it means volunteering. Even online schools like Kaplin, Univereity o Pheonix, Arts Institute, etc.. people would love to get exp that never done IT or other trades the Aux provides. At least volunteering while waiting for apaying job offer will get their feet wet in the field they want.

There are non profit schools that teaches free trades like Job Corps from ages 16-24, AmeriCorps,etc.. Not only just recruit with all these schools but also get closer ties and connections with them. A lot of people want to change their careers, it is just a lot I know of never heard of Coast Guard Auxiliary. No one ever told me about this program, I had to look online for it because I was desperate to find a IT volunteer position for exp.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement