Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Dental Work and Contact Lenses?
Last Post 08 Jan 2017 05:21 PM by Don't sweat it.. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Amiesdestiny

--
09 Dec 2016 12:47 PM
    Sorry if this has been answered before. I did search through past posts but didn't find quite the same questions:

1. I have a small cavity I've been putting off getting filled for a year or so. Will they fill it in DEPOT? If so, I think I should just go ahead and have it done now. Thoughts? 

2. I wear contacts for distance sight only. It's -3.25 for those that know what that means. So when I say "distance" I mean I can probably only read things about 10 feet or closer and making out facial details is difficult as well. I know it's up to our CC if they let me wear them. I also know I'm not going to have a lot of time to fiddle with contact lenses. I am aware they will make me some glasses (BCG's ), but it could be several days before I get them. l'm Just wondering if I should:

A. Try to do without contacts or glasses since they are only for distance, hopefully they don't ask me to read any signs that are more than 10 feet away. I won't be able to to. 

B. Try to wear my contacts when I can and just clean them when I can, use eye drops, etc. (if they even let me have them)

C. Go get a pair of glasses made with my current insurance and bring them with me. For some background, I have worn contacts for 18 years. I never wear glasses and this option will be just as disorienting as option A for me. 

D. Suppose I could also get creative and get those new contacts you can sleep in. Hopefully the CC would let me wear them. 
    Jmax2626

--
    09 Dec 2016 01:36 PM
    I just graduated from depot and I wear contacts normally that you sleep in and my script is -3.25 in one eye and -2.75 in the other just for background. I only wear my glasses when I have to for a break from my contacts. Also I am a reservervist.

All that being said I would not wear my contacts due to not having much time to deal with them and when you wake up it is running out the door to fire,fire,fire. So I wore my glasses and they did give me two pair But it was like the second week before I got them. We did have guy in my class wear his contacts the whole time and actually had one pop out in the galley as he was being yelled at. The cc just told him it was disgusting and to put it back in. After that another guy tried to switch to wearing his contacts and the cc told him they knew he wore glasses and to put them back on. So make your own decision from that. My advice is if you wear them do it the whole time. I wear a contact called air optics and they are rated to wear for 30 days without taking them out and they are pretty comfortable. You could ask your eye dr for a trial pair should get you through depot if you decide to try.

As for the cavity if you are reserves they won't fix it. They will tell you you are responsible for having it fixed on your own before you are cleared to deploy and basically any other dental issues you have.

Any other questions just ask
    Amiesdestiny

--
    09 Dec 2016 02:14 PM
    Great info, thanks Jmax! And good suggestion regarding the trial pair.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    10 Dec 2016 04:59 PM
    I have pretty bad vision I think -3.75 and I just wore the glasses they issued me and had no issues doing the PT or anything. They gave me a strap too so that helps.

Bring another pair of glasses when you get there just in case there is a delay on your BCG's
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Amiesdestiny

--
    13 Dec 2016 12:11 PM
    Posted By TheLonelyOS on 10 Dec 2016 05:59 PM
    I have pretty bad vision I think -3.75 and I just wore the glasses they issued me and had no issues doing the PT or anything. They gave me a strap too so that helps.

Bring another pair of glasses when you get there just in case there is a delay on your BCG's

Will do, thanks!
    drumbeater

--
    28 Dec 2016 02:33 PM
    My son just told me that several guys at his base got Lasik done on their eyes, and he said he thought the Coast Guard covered it. I dont know if that was correct or not.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    28 Dec 2016 05:41 PM
    I wore my BCG's but this was 5 years ago. They said we weren't allowed to wear contacts because if they fell out we wouldn't get them back.

I wore my contacts when I graduated though
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Dont sweat it.

--
    08 Jan 2017 05:21 PM
    @drumbeater -CG does not pay for Lasix. It will be through a special program with the other services (e.g., Army Tripler hospital, US Navy-Balboa hospital).
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement