Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MEPS
Last Post 23 Mar 2017 02:43 PM by thestormiscoming. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sako_hopar

--
15 Dec 2016 01:21 AM
    I had a ship date of 09/29/2015. Exactly a month prior I was involved in an accident which resulted in 8 broken bones. 3 of which were crushed vertabras. None were over 25 percent, meaning not an automatic disqualifier. 

I have provided everything asked for, which is everything regarding the incident that is medically related. It has been almost 3 months and still no response. I have contacted my recruiter twice to ask for updates, none yet. Is it normal for them to be this slow or is this the sign of bad news? I had to wait a minimum of 1 year, which I did.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Dec 2016 08:41 AM
    Are you close enough for a face to face meeting?
    sako_hopar

--
    15 Dec 2016 12:48 PM
    About 40 miles, yes. I did have one in September when turning in all my medical records.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Dec 2016 03:39 PM
    I'd recommend you call and ask for an appointment to review what is your next step. If you get the appointment show up squared away in nice cloths and hair cut. Don't give up until you talk to a real person. Don't leave voice messages.
    sako_hopar

--
    20 Dec 2016 10:38 PM
    Thank you. I did meet with my recruiter twice. I have my full confidence that he has done everything in his power to help me. I feel weird calling and bugging him all the time as he said twice to me from follow-ups to not worry. But it was mid September I gave everything and I am just worrying. I wish I could send MEPS a video of what I can do physically so they can see I am strong and healthy.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Dec 2016 07:15 AM
    Bugging him is calling every day, every hour. Being persistent is calling once a week to every 10 days. Remember, you are one person looking for an answer. The recruiter is one person answering a hundred other people. If you don't keep your name in their mind, you could easily be forgotten. Don't let that happen.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    sako_hopar

--
    29 Dec 2016 10:39 AM
    I called and I am one of the med reads. My recruiter wasn't there but the Chief answered the phone and he said he recognized my name but there have been no faxes sent to him of my status. He did mention they do take a while to complete. I am in Los Angeles, which means it is probably a very busy station. If they deny me, is there away to appeal for them to evaluate me physically and not just on paper?
    sako_hopar

--
    15 Jan 2017 03:30 AM
    So I received communication that MEPS wants a new Form DD 2807-2. That is the medical pre-screen for I filled out with the original USCG application. Makes sense since it will now be different.

I really want this to go through. Taking into account all BAH, BAS and basic pay, I will be getting about a 15k a year pay reduction as an E-4 in the coast guard (when I become an E-4 if I can get in), but I am fine with that, and that doesn't include the increase I will get this year in pay.

It must be good news if MEPS is requesting this format correct? I filled it out and sent it in immediately after receiving it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Jan 2017 08:47 AM
    Good luck and please keep us informed on your quest.
    sako_hopar

--
    09 Feb 2017 12:35 PM
    Great news everyone! MEPS is accepting me based on all the documentation I provided. I am scheduled to go in on Monday the 13th so they can physically check my injuries to make sure I am asymptomatic. This has been a great relief.

If I stayed here in the Los Angeles area (which I know I won't) I will be taking about a 20K a year pay cut, but when coupled with BAH/BAS tax advantages as well as the health insurance benefits I pay for myself and my family, it will probably come to be near the same amount when I'm an E3 in a couple of months.

This has been a very long journey, I was supposed to go a year and a half ago, I'm almost 29 and I'll be one of the older guys going in. I should have done this about 10 years ago, oh well.

I'll keep you all posted until I get a ship date. I'm excited, because I remember laying on my back in the hospital, unable to move, twist or even get up to sit thinking no more Coast Guard.

Good luck to everyone else and everyone in similar situations.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Feb 2017 01:43 PM
    That is fantastic news!!! Congratulations! I wish you all the best.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    09 Feb 2017 10:36 PM
    Posted By sako_hopar on 09 Feb 2017 01:35 PM
    Great news everyone! MEPS is accepting me based on all the documentation I provided. I am scheduled to go in on Monday the 13th so they can physically check my injuries to make sure I am asymptomatic. This has been a great relief.

If I stayed here in the Los Angeles area (which I know I won't) I will be taking about a 20K a year pay cut, but when coupled with BAH/BAS tax advantages as well as the health insurance benefits I pay for myself and my family, it will probably come to be near the same amount when I'm an E3 in a couple of months.

This has been a very long journey, I was supposed to go a year and a half ago, I'm almost 29 and I'll be one of the older guys going in. I should have done this about 10 years ago, oh well.

I'll keep you all posted until I get a ship date. I'm excited, because I remember laying on my back in the hospital, unable to move, twist or even get up to sit thinking no more Coast Guard.

Good luck to everyone else and everyone in similar situations.

I was there today at the la meps , I was approved . I think your name tag was there on thr amt1s desk. Only me and 1 other guy. Goodluck !
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    sako_hopar

--
    09 Feb 2017 11:45 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. And good luck buddy, maybe I'll see you at the Friday meetings. Do you know what your ship date is going to be yet?
    Erieguard14

--
    17 Feb 2017 09:34 AM
    I have had an age waiver into to Coast guard Recruiting Command for 2 to 3 weeks now to get back into the reserves. 

My recruiter and my self have not heard from the command to see if they have even received the waiver in an email. 

It's the only item, I am told by my recruiter holding me up from getting back to my PSU unit, how long does it take to receive these emails back and signed by coast guard recruiting command?

Thank you, 
    James Miller
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    17 Feb 2017 05:03 PM
    Posted By Erieguard14 on 17 Feb 2017 10:34 AM
    I have had an age waiver into to Coast guard Recruiting Command for 2 to 3 weeks now to get back into the reserves. 

My recruiter and my self have not heard from the command to see if they have even received the waiver in an email. 

It's the only item, I am told by my recruiter holding me up from getting back to my PSU unit, how long does it take to receive these emails back and signed by coast guard recruiting command?

Thank you, 
    James Miller

You asked this in another sub forum.  It's not going to get your question answered any faster. Also, please post this under it's own heading.  This really has nothing to do with the OP, which was a question about MEPS.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Feb 2017 12:08 PM
    Erieguard, I'll leave this but Chief is correct. Please post once, in the appropriate area, even start a new thread all for yourself. Sometimes piggy backing on another thread, especially when it has nothing do with your question, will not get you an answer. You will get a reply, sometimes a little patience is what's needed. Seems like someone that has been in the military would understand that, that's in regards to both a forum venue and recruiting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    sako_hopar

--
    21 Mar 2017 08:39 AM
    Wow! I finally received my clearance from MEPS. This took a long time and I jumped through so many hoops!

I have 81 college credit hours so my recruiter said I will be staying as an E2. I read somewhere that over 60 allows for E3.

I'm just happy this is happening.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Mar 2017 11:23 AM
    It was over 60, I don't know if that is still the same standard. Things like that change often. Kinda stinks but E2 to E3 is a small step and you'll be there rather quickly. Either way, like you said, it is just good news all of this is going forward! Yippee!!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Mar 2017 03:32 PM
    Congratulations
    sako_hopar

--
    22 Mar 2017 03:38 AM
    Thank you guys, it has been a long journey. The injuries I had sustained to here now is going to make me much more proud of the uniform I will wear. I won't take it for granted.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    22 Mar 2017 06:27 PM
    Why are you enlisting as an E2 with over 80 college credits? Current FY17 advanced pay grade incentives allows you to enlist as an E3 on active duty with 60 or more credits, along with several other ways.  30-59 credits gets you E2.

This is all stated in Annex G of your DEP and ship packages.
    sako_hopar

--
    22 Mar 2017 10:07 PM
    Thank you for bringing that up. That's what I thought too and mentioned to him but he said no, it's E2.

I'm DEPing in tomorrow,is this going to be too late to bring it up you think?
    sako_hopar

--
    22 Mar 2017 10:15 PM
    How can I find official Coast Guard documentation stating that?
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    23 Mar 2017 02:43 PM
    Posted By sako_hopar on 22 Mar 2017 11:07 PM
    Thank you for bringing that up. That's what I thought too and mentioned to him but he said no, it's E2.

I'm DEPing in tomorrow,is this going to be too late to bring it up you think?

Well that recruiter is wrong, unfortunately.  We went back to policy (recruiting manual) as of 01OCT2016.  Prior to that you would need a bachelors degree for the E3 enlistment.  The needs of the service change each fiscal year, and so do the bonuses and incentives.  You can still have your contract upgraded to enlist as an E3 on your ship day with prior approval from our command.

Page 3-3

https://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1000-1999/CIM_1100_2F.pdf

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement