Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Direct Commission Engineer
Last Post 15 Feb 2019 10:27 PM by hessamoddin. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cmdeane

--
27 Dec 2016 06:55 PM
    What does a LTJG do on a day to day basis? I was selected now just wondering about DCO school and the day to day?
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    28 Dec 2016 07:23 AM
    Ask your recruiter for a point of contact from the Operations Plan informal ambassador list of DCE officers in the field. They are listed to help answer these types of questions.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    29 Dec 2016 06:58 AM
    DCO school is just classes all day. Nothing too exciting. As an LTJG in the fleet, you will do more than you expected to do but far less than your CO and XO expect you to do.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    29 Dec 2016 04:52 PM
    Without knowing what job/location you are going to, it is impossible to answer that question.
    cmdeane

--
    29 Dec 2016 07:14 PM
    are DCOs required to pass the PT test?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    30 Dec 2016 06:28 AM
    If that is your big concern, I would suggest you start working out now.
    DCA1234

--
    30 Dec 2016 08:46 AM
    Google "Coast Guard DCO Pre-reporting Guide." It mentions a physical fitness test within the first 72 hours of reporting (push-ups, sit-ups, 1.5 mile run, and a swimming proficiency exam).
    cmdeane

--
    30 Dec 2016 04:45 PM
    I read that, heres some other info though on the next page of that:

Failure to meet minimum standards may result in your placement in a remedial physical
    fitness program, developing a personal fitness plan, or removal from Direct Commission
    Officer School.

Swimming Proficiency Exam 

While the physical fitness assessment is not a requirement for commissioning, the swimming proficiency exam is part of the program.

Thats why I am wondering if its possible to fail or if they dont care if you pass or not.
    DCA1234

--
    30 Dec 2016 06:56 PM
    That is interesting. Definitely leaves it at their descretion.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    04 Jan 2017 07:37 AM
    That's the part of being an officer you will all have to grasp. It doesn't matter whether they care if you pass or not, you should care.
    hooligan

--
    04 Jan 2017 08:51 PM
    A ltjg does whatever his Commanding Officer, CO, expects, and that varies widely, engineering or not. What if you have to do a rigorous engineering inspection, in Louisiana, in August, and it's hot, hot, hot, and gonna take a full shift and a half? You think fitness won't matter? As far as fitness goes, I wouldn't show up out of shape and unable to swim. You do want to excel at the physical tests, exceed the minimums, by a lot. I never met an officer whose physical fitness, or lack of it, wasn't a carreer asset or career liability. It's your career, but were it me, I'd be in the gym everyday, oh, wait, I'm out for y e a r s and I'm still in the gym everyday. Hmmmm...... I wonder if my old CO still lifts weights and runs, I wonder?
    MountainIN

--
    10 Jan 2017 08:44 AM
    cmdeane, Listen to what these guys say. In our correspondence I've tried to tell you how to prepare and why it's important for YOU to excel even if other officers don't or your chain of command/DCO school doesn't care.

Especially since you're going in as a JG you'll have a higher expectation for you to meet the standard regardless of what YOU see is important.

Like I've told you before, they're looking to increase the PT standards at DCO, and finding an "out" is going to bite you regardless of your barracks lawyering of the pre-reporting guide.
    hessamoddin

--
    15 Feb 2019 10:27 PM
    At DCO school you may not be "required" to pass the PT test, but you are "expected" to pass and show motivation to do so. Each DCO school chief has a different priorities for DCO school students and from command to command we see the importance of passing PT fluctuates. However, you MUST pass your weight requirement at all time during your career. Also, depending on your billet, you may be required to pass the PT tests just like everyone else in your unit. Being a JO could be a difficult, exciting, and stressful job at the same time. Doing regular PT helps you to build your physical and mental stamina, which believe me, will be greatly useful. Your enlisted members will admire you more for the discipline you have and for setting an example.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement