Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Husband getting orders to A school soon..
Last Post 01 Jan 2017 03:27 PM by HammerheaD. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ashleycotnoir

--
31 Dec 2016 11:57 AM
    So as the title suggests, my husband will be getting his orders to A school within the next 4 months. He will be going to IT a school, which is one of the few A chools that will provide a move for your family to come with you. That being said, I'm unsure if I want to move for 7 months just to have to move again when he gets his new assignment. I currently have a good career here, which I was able to transfer from our home state 2 years ago. I am planning on trying to transfer again when we get new orders after A school. I am willing to give up my career if need be, as that is what I signed up for when my husband joined the coast guard. 

Would it make sense to wait out the 7 months here while my husband is away at A school? It would be very difficult for me to transfer my position twice in one year. 7 months feels like a long time, then again it's not when you consider having to move your entire life twice in that span of time. To give some insight, we have no children and I'm a fairly independent woman who does not get to see her husband everyday. 

Any advice or insight is much appreciated!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Dec 2016 06:24 PM
    If you're ok with it, there's nothing wrong with staying behind and moving only once. My daughter in law is a pharmacist. Transferring isn't too much of a problem but licensing is expensive and stressful. I know if they were in that predicament, she would stay behind. Good for you for being independent and thinking with your head. Your Coastie has a very bright bride! Good luck on the decision.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    31 Dec 2016 10:08 PM
    Many people would wait until he graduates. Think about all the married couples whose spouse have deployed to lands that end in a Stan or Iraq not to mention Navy deployments. I wouldn't want my family to give up the income for a seven month assignment. Do you have a support structure in lace where you live now? Also here is the big question. What does your husband think about you staying behind? If he isn't for it then you will have issues.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jan 2017 11:40 AM
    If he isn't for it than he needs to grow up. Yes, she signed on for this, marrying a military man. But at the same time if she has a career, he needs to respect that. I think she is being extremely smart. Also, IT school allows for spouses, that is considered a PCS move. She is opting to not utilize that. Nothing wrong with it at all. Most of the A Schools in the CG are TAD and you go solo. Some spouses choose to go, on their own dime. This is not the case. She also started she is already used to not seeing her husband every day. I think she has this.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    HammerheaD

--
    01 Jan 2017 03:27 PM
    I completely agree with old guard and m1! I just finished 6 months at a-school and while aviation doesn't pay for your dependents to move with you, we had enough money saved up to do it ourselves so we were considering it. In the end we decided not to and while she did have a job, she was going to school and her job was part time (not quality employment like yours.) In the end I was able to dedicate my full attention to a-school and it got us the pick we wanted. She was able to make some extra cash for us while I was gone. It's not easy to be apart but it's not as hard as boot camp. Once it's over I think you'll be happy you kept the career opportunity and made the extra money as well. If you want to go, then by all means do, but you seem to be thinking about it in a mature manner. Good luck.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement