Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Silly question about the DEP
Last Post 30 Jan 2017 01:10 PM by Auxnoob. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DillonHinson

--
06 Jan 2017 09:41 PM
    Hello everyone,

I have a question that I believe I know the answer to, but I'd like to make sure I'm correct. I am in the Delayed Entry Program for the Coast Guard - I swore in on Dec 21st of last year - and my boot camp ship date is March 28th. I have not yet signed my active duty contract. My silly question is this: Can I go ahead and start planning and preparing for the Coast Guard? I don't mean preparing physically or studying my Helmsman, rather I mean non-Coast Guard stuff, such as putting in an advanced notice at my current employer, getting financial stuff taken care of, etc. I'm the type of person that plans everything to the last detail, so it's a weird feeling for me to tell my job I am leaving on this specific date when I haven't officially joined the Coast Guard. I understand that the military is doing a background and credit check on me while in the DEP, but there is absolutely nothing in my background that would disqualify me or be an issue. With that being said, is it safe to say that yes, the Coast Guard is 100% for sure happening because I am in the DEP?

Sorry for the silly question! It felt very official when I swore in at MEPS, but like I said, it's weird for me to be planning on leaving my job when I haven't signed the official "new hire" paperwork yet. It's like quitting a job the second you accepted an offer over the phone...it ain't official until it's official!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    07 Jan 2017 07:09 AM
    I wouldn't tell my employer anything at this point. Give them two weeks notice. Yes you need to get ready for Boot Camp starting now. You need to be in shape and able to pass the PT tests before you go. Start memorizing the required knowledge Helmsmen now. Start going to bed at 10pm and up at 5am. Stay out of trouble and don't get hurt. You have been through MEPS and are now in DEPS. On your report date MEPS will quickly look at you again then you swear in and complete the contract.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jan 2017 10:26 AM
    How much do you like and respect your current employer? Is your position something of a specialty? If you are a cashier at Walmart, 2 weeks is plenty of notice. If you are in a role that is more specialized and it will take an actual search for a candidate to replace you, I would give more like a months notice, possibly even 6 weeks if you would also have to train a replacement. The other thing to consider, if your employer will fire you?? Then wait but you can collect unemployment and train harder for boot camp. You know your employer and what their expectations might be, what your expectations may be. Go with that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    DillonHinson

--
    07 Jan 2017 05:17 PM
    I'm actually leaving my job about a month and a half prior to my ship date to do some personal stuff and some travel, which my recruiter was completely on board with. So I have talked to my employer about leaving soon, but haven't set a solid date yet. Basically, I just don't want any surprises from the Coast Guard regarding my enlistment. I don't want to quit my job, spend money traveling, and do other stuff to prepare for the next chapter of my life...only to not end up going into the Coast Guard because something came up. I just want to be sure that everything is set in stone before I do those things. Assuming there will be no issues with the background check and credit check - which there won't be because I did recently get accepted into the police academy in my city (Charlotte) - and I don't get into trouble or injured, does being in the DEP essentially guarantee I will be going into the Coast Guard? The process of joining involved several times where I crossed my fingers and hoped I made it the next step, so I want to know for sure that I've "made it".

Again, I know this is silly, but this post is my anxiety talking lol. We've all been through the roller coaster ride of joining!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    07 Jan 2017 07:02 PM
    Personally, I put in my official notice when I swore in to the DEP. That is as official as it's going to get until you actually get off the bus at Cape May.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    07 Jan 2017 07:40 PM
    You sound a lot like me right now.  I am currently in DEP right now as well, I ship March 21st.  I am preparing as much as possible physically and learning required knowledge.  I too want to be as prepared as possible down to the last detail.  I informed my employer right after I entered DEP.  I did so to give them as much notice as possible so I could train a replacement.  I've been making extra payments towards the little bit of debt I have just to pay it down as much as possible before I leave.  All of my credit cards and bills have automatic payments each month now and my wife has access to my bank account as well for any financial matters while I'm gone.  I'm going to continue to prepare for my Coast Guard life as if its a 100% sure thing because it pretty much is except for if some extreme circumstance comes up that would be out of my control.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jan 2017 08:56 PM
    Unless you get arrested for robbing a bank or fall off a mountain in a tragic skiing accident... if you're in DEP, you will be going to boot camp.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    DillonHinson

--
    07 Jan 2017 11:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I just needed that clarification about where I'm at in the process, so I appreciate the insight! i'm excited that everything is all coming together now, and there's so much to look forward to! While we're on the subject of DEP, what is the DEP program like for other people? I personally haven't had much contact with my recruiter since I swore in, and there hasn't been any discussion about what's next, such as when I sign the final contract, etc. Are other recruiting offices more involved with their people in DEP?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    08 Jan 2017 09:52 AM
    I live 4 hours away from my recruiting office. I have only met my recruiter once and that was only because I took the time to set up a meeting with him so I could meet him face to face. He wasn't with me during my visit to MEPS or during the swearing in to DEP. We keep in contact through texting, email and phone calls. I send him monthly snapshots of my current 1.5 mile run time so he knows that I am working on improving. He said he should be there when I sign the contract on the day I leave for basic but even that is not 100% for sure. Overall I have very little interaction with my recruiter and I have taken it upon myself to be prepared and know where and when I need to be somewhere. He is always willing to answer all of my questions in a timely manner so I've had no problem knowing what is expected of me. I'm not sure if he will test me on my physical preparedness and my required knowledge before I leave for basic but I made sure I'm ready for it either way.
    Garrettribble99

--
    28 Jan 2017 11:40 PM
    I swear into the DEP Wednesday of next week, ship date is also March 28th. I'm working the rest of February and have already told my employer that is my last month. Taking March off to go see family before I ship out the 28th.
    lilq824

--
    29 Jan 2017 03:02 PM
    Same boat as you guys... get it? Same boat? Because Coast Guard? Boats..? Bueller...

No, but I swore in January 26th. Boot camp March 28th. I happen to live 5 minutes from the recruiters office, but we haven't spoken since I got back from swearing last Thursday.

My only knowledge of DEP is him telling me they have some sort of recruit training Thursday mornings and I'm required to attend atleast 2 of them. No sure if that's area-specific or what? Anyone else hear of this?
    Garrettribble99

--
    29 Jan 2017 07:26 PM
    I live roughly 2 hrs from my recruiter, have to attend 2 DEP meetings. From my understanding the first is basically a PT test to see if your ready to ship and the 2nd is for asking questions and stuff, my recruiter said he was going to quiz me on my required knowledge. Is that normal? He gave me my helmsman about a month before he was supposed to.
    I ship March 28th from Dallas
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jan 2017 08:39 AM
    Posted By Garrettribble99 on 29 Jan 2017 07:26 PM
    He gave me my helmsman about a month before he was supposed to.

There is really no "supposed to" timeline on handing out the Helmsman.  But since you feel it was about a month too early, you better have your required knowledge down to a tee.  As far as it being normal or not... every recruiter approaches recruiting with their own little take on it.  Maybe your recruiter showed up to Cape May and was woefully unprepared.  So he/she is taking a proactive approach and making sure you know what you need to know before you get there.  If that is what your recruiter requires, don't worry about what others ask for or don't ask for.  Just be the best recruit your office ships out that day.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    30 Jan 2017 01:10 PM
    You must know your required knowledge before you ship. If you don't, it reflects back on your recruiter. And there is no reason to keep you at Cape May because you are unprepared. My son shipped with two others, and they sat in the cafeteria going over flash cards with each other in those last hours.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement