Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
During and after Basic?
Last Post 09 Jan 2017 02:01 PM by TylerL17. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TylerL17

--
08 Jan 2017 08:53 PM
    Hi, I ship out June 19th and can't wait! I was just wondering if anyone could help me on a question. I live in Hawaii and was wondering since leave starts that Saturday after basic would I leave for my station the last day of my 5 days leave or the day after? 

Also I was just curious because I hear alot that if you put Alaska down as one of your choices on your dream sheet they usually end up getting that? (I know needs of the service come first. I am just curious if that's true or not) 

Tanywka

--
    09 Jan 2017 12:41 AM
    I had one more question on during or after
    I am going on Feb 14th and still not sure when I will pick my job and when i will  be scheduled for A school.
    I want to be YN; how can I expedite this process and go to school after basic.
    Can I schedule it with my recruiter or It will be done during basic or after I go to fist station?
    Thanks
    blaneypark

--
    09 Jan 2017 08:53 AM
    You will go to your first unit and after, I believe four months and qualified at that unit you can put in for A School and get on a waiting list. Don't know how long the list is as of now. First you need to get through boot camp. Look and see what is out there in the field and you may find YN is not the job you want.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jan 2017 08:58 AM
    For Tyler first.... You are given liberty on Friday, so you can travel home. Your leave is Saturday to Wednesday. Since it is likely you are not driving (unless they finally built that bridge) you will need to report to your unit on Thursday. Typically it is prior to 1600. Because you will be traveling from Hawaii, if you get somewhere like Maine or Boston, you might have to start your travel on Wednesday. It will all be explained in depth at boot camp. Please keep in mind travel back to Hawaii and then onto your new station will be at your own expense. If you were to get something like Boston, it would be quite a bit of money. I think worth it, those few days home are really nice. If you were to get Alaska, a good portion of the travel would be covered. Again, in boot camp this will be fully explained to you.

As far as getting Alaska... all you can do is ask. If there is a need for a nonrate, in all likelihood, you will get it. Or they could send you to Puerto Rico. It's the military, there is no guessing at the rhyme or reason, other thanm, as you said, needs of the service.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Jan 2017 09:04 AM
    For Tanywka... There is no shortcut to A School. The current wait time for YN is 0-6 months. You will go to boot camp, you will complete that. You will go to your first unit, you will get qualified to do your job there. Within approximately 4 months, if your quals are done and you are recommended for advancement, you put your name on the A School list of your choice. When your number comes up, you go to school. I would not jump right into school. Take your time, look around. Do you actually know ALL that a YN does? Can you tell me what an MST or an AMT or an OS actually does?? Or are you just reading a paragraph or 2 and basing a decision on that? That isn't the way to choose a career and be happy. One of the great benefits of the CG is the ability to look around prior to having to decide on what you will do for 4 or 40 years. Take advantage of that. It is an awesome opportunity.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TylerL17

--
    09 Jan 2017 02:01 PM
    Thank you! Can't wait
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement