Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
More to study for the ASVAB?
Last Post 03 Feb 2017 10:09 PM by m1ashooter. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Metzler18

--
10 Jan 2017 12:13 AM
    So I'll be taking the ASVAB on January 19th and I want to be as prepared as possible. I've already taken multiple practice tests but I wonder if there are more resources to look at to be ultimately as prepared as possible? If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate if you left them. Getting more nervous as Jan. 19th creeps closer.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    10 Jan 2017 09:28 AM
    At this point I think the best thing you can do is to stop worrying about the test so much. Going in to take the test while you are nervous and anxious will probably hurt your score. No one has a secret prep book that will give you all the answers. Taking the practice tests online will help you get a feel for the format of the questions and will show you where your weak areas are. Study your weak areas as much as you can and go in and take the test confidently. Take your time when you answer the questions and think each of them through and make sure your answer makes sense before you move to the next question. I was one of the last people in my group to finish the test but I scored very high, while the other Coast Guard applicant I tested with finished the test early and barely got the qualifying score. This test strikes a lot of fear in people, it is just a basic knowledge test to see where your aptitudes lie, hence its name. Focus on studying your weak areas and you will do fine.
    rtbwmu

--
    10 Jan 2017 03:22 PM
    Buy the Kaplan prep book.  Worth every dime.  I took the ASVAB in 2009 when I was a Junior in high school after preparing for the ACT for months.  Scored a 90 then.  Had to retake the ASVAB recently for the USCG.  The Kaplan prep book was SO much help and I scored a 95 this time.  It doesn't just tell you what kind of problems to prepare for, it gives you great strategies for finding the correct answer quickly or even the best ways to guess when you aren't 100% sure what the answer is.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    10 Jan 2017 11:26 PM
    When in doubt answer C.
    Metzler18

--
    11 Jan 2017 09:56 AM
    Well I bet I''ll be fine, I'm taking it at school during school hours on the 19th, and I'm comfortable at school so hopefully that helps. (I'm currently in my second semester of senior year.)
    Metzler18

--
    18 Jan 2017 01:21 PM
    The date is coming, tommorow. Excited, but very nervous.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    18 Jan 2017 01:52 PM
    Good Luck! Just remember to read each question carefully and when you select an answer make sure it makes sense. Some of the answers may be obviously wrong if you think about it logically. Review your order of operations, doing math with fractions, and basic geometry and trig equations. Also remember that getting the minimum score to enter the Coast Guard is easy, but scoring high enough to be competitive with other applicants is the hard part. Just relax and use the time given to you.
    Metzler18

--
    19 Jan 2017 01:33 PM
    Well.... It's over with and I get my score from MEPS in 2-3 weeks. I think I scored really high in the AFQT portion, but I did absolutely terrible in the other three sections that we di d, that involved electrician and automotives that I knew nothing about and I felt rushed the whole entire time we were doing it. I'm greatful that they gave us 36 minutes for the 30 math questions, I'm pretty sure that I got them all right, and a good score on the other four sections that made up the AFQT score.
    rtbwmu

--
    19 Jan 2017 03:23 PM
    Ah man that sucks. I the CAT ASVAB so I got my scores right away.  Sounds like you did okay though!
    Metzler18

--
    19 Jan 2017 07:26 PM
    Posted By rtbwmu on 19 Jan 2017 03:23 PM
    Ah man that sucks. I the CAT ASVAB so I got my scores right away.  Sounds like you did okay though!

I really hope so, I'm so nervous that I didn't do well enough to join the CG..
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    19 Jan 2017 11:37 PM
    Don't sweat it. If you didn't score high enough the wait the required time and take it again.
    Metzler18

--
    20 Jan 2017 09:04 AM
    Do you know what the required waiting time is?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    20 Jan 2017 09:16 AM
    30 days for the first retake and any additional retakes you have to wait 6 months.
    Metzler18

--
    20 Jan 2017 11:57 AM
    Alright, well after I get my scores back I'll definitely update this page, I'm excited for my scores, I think I did pretty well on all sections except the mechanical,automotive and electronic information. I plan to take the scores to a recruiter sometime soon. (I get scores back in 2-3 weeks)
    Metzler18

--
    02 Feb 2017 01:20 PM
    So guys.. I got a 70 AFQT score on my ASVAB!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    02 Feb 2017 02:07 PM
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Metzler18

--
    02 Feb 2017 08:18 PM
    With an score of 70, does anyone know if I would be able to be a Boatswain's Mate?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    03 Feb 2017 10:58 AM
    Here is a link that you should look up. It has the required scores for the different A schools. https://www.uscg.mil/epm/AO/Non-Rate/Rate%20Requirements.asp#AET

Or google it.
    This is what is required for BM A school.

"A" School Location: TRACEN Yorktown, VA (14 Week Course)
    ASVAB: AR + VE = 100
    Normal Color Vision: Required
    Normal Hearing: Required
    Security Clearance & U.S. Citizenship: N/A
    First Unit 4 Month Wait: Required
    Obligated Service: See ALCOAST 340/15
    EPME AQE Completion: Test not available RPQ must be completed.
    Other Prerequisites: None
    Metzler18

--
    03 Feb 2017 01:13 PM
    So since I took my ASVAB test my school, they didn't provide a VE score, so I contacted an online recruiter and he let me know that my VE was 62, and my AR was 64, and you only need a 100, he said I should be good to go to become a Boatswain's Mate!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    03 Feb 2017 10:09 PM
    Good for you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement