Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New USCG Wife!! Help
Last Post 01 Dec 2004 07:01 AM by cerian. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
USCGwife

--
15 Jul 2004 01:02 AM
     shakehead  I'm a new wife to the military and i have so many questions and no one to ask. I was told i was going to be getting a military ID. I was also told that i would be getting paperwork in the mail so that i can recieve this ID. I haven't got any mail conserning this yet. Should i be contacting someone about this matter or should i just wait it out? If i should contact someone, who? My husband isn't back from basic trainning yet so i can't ask him.
          What do i , as a military wife, have to look forward to? What are some of the high and low points of being in the USCG?
         Thanks for any help!     Rachele   confused

cerian

--
    01 Dec 2004 07:01 AM
    Having been in the Army for a little over 9 years, I can answer some of your questions. I hope to be in the Coast Guard soon, as I have applied for the Coast Guard's Direct Commission Program, and the board convened this past Monday.
    You will get a military ID, yes, as will any children you have who are at least 10 years of age or older. I suggest you hang on to their ID cards unless you think they won't lose them, as there is a bit of drama involved if it is lost. Your ID card will entitle you to use on-base facilities such as the Post Exchange (kind of like Wal-mart on the larger posts, but without taxes), the commisary (grocery store-again, no taxes, although there is a small surcharge), shoppettes (where gas is generally cheaper that off-post), and, of course, your medical insurance. Now since I am not in the Coast Guard yet, I can not say for certain what medical insurance you will have, but chances are it is the same as the Army, which is Tri-Care. There will be numerous amounts of paperwork to fill out in regards to that, and most likely it will take action from you first on all occasions. You will also need to initiate paperwork for your dental coverage as well.
    Now all of this sounds fine and dandy, provided you have a military ID card. Since you do not, you will need to get one. I know of no way for you to get one without going to a military installation that can issue you one. I recommend you do a search on google or similar search engine to find the nearest military installation. Any one will do (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard, Reserve, National Guard, or Active Duty for all). Once you find one, try to get a live person on the phone and find out what documents you will need to show up with to get your ID card. Most likely it will be something to the effect of marriage license, birth certificate(s), enlistment contract for your spouse, social security cards, possibly more, but those are the basics.
    As far as high and low points, well, as I see them, job security, you will always knw that your paycheck is coming in now and will be for months and years down the road. Medical and dental insurance, while paperwork intensive, is generally much cheaper than you could otherwise get. The oportunity to travel to new places that you would otherwise been unable to visit. Since your husband is not in the Army, Marines, Navy, or Air Force, chances are lower that he will have to go to Iraq or some such place, although the chance of that occurance is still there. And, also of note, and great importance to me, anyway, is the fact that while in the Coast Guard, your husband will find that his job actually matters and peoples' lives can be beneficially affected by his service on a daily basis.
    Best of luck to you in the Coast Guard, hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of the nation's homeland defense force soon as well.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement