Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Navy camo?
Last Post 25 Jan 2017 11:54 AM by m1ashooter. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FilthyEcho1

--
18 Jan 2017 01:38 PM
    Does anyone know why recently recruits have been wearing digital navy camo during bootamp instead of the regular blue gortex??
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    18 Jan 2017 02:09 PM
    This is what was posted on the Cape May facebook page in response to questions about the navy camo.

"U.S. Coast Guard Training Center Cape May (Official) Since the digicami seems to be giving you all more heartburn than Thanksgiving dinner, I'll fill you in on why they are wearing it. Essentially, there was an issue with regards to the contract the C oast Guard typically uses for the standard issue Gortex, so a temporary fix was to use these. They aren't hand me downs and they aren't going to be used in the fleet. No grand conspiracies, just adapting and overcoming."
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jan 2017 03:38 PM
    More heartburn than thanksgiving dinner!!! Bahaha!!! I love the CG!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    18 Jan 2017 04:10 PM
    It is a good response.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    18 Jan 2017 05:09 PM
    Too bad the digitals fit better and look better in my opinion. They are fitted for a more athletic fit like the marines. Once i left the navy they got the digitals and it improved morale, people were proud of it compared to the horrid utilities janitor looking uniform we had. When I got in the coastguard we went from tucked to untucked . I was thinking that they might switch before reading this lol. Would happen since im in the process of my 3rd enlistment lol.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    FilthyEcho1

--
    19 Jan 2017 01:19 AM
    Thanks guys, I agree they look good also, but of course it's questionable, just as would be if we saw recruits wearing marines camo, the gortex are bulky and not the latest fashion fad but they're only designed to repel the sweat from other recruits hahaha
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    19 Jan 2017 08:00 AM
    Of course the overall question is why any nautical service would need camouflage. Will the enemy look at the boat and think "Oh my gosh, that is a ghost ship! There is nobody on it!" But alas, the camo doesn't blend into the boat. It blends into the water just like ODUs. It is like the Command is saying, "Here, wear this. That way, if you go overboard we will have absolutely no chance of spotting you."
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    19 Jan 2017 10:03 AM
    "That way, if you go overboard we will have absolutely no chance of spotting you."

I've often wondered the same thing. We do we wear a uniform that would make us impossible to spot if we went over the side?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    20 Jan 2017 10:00 AM
    Posted By Gears on 19 Jan 2017 10:03 AM
    "That way, if you go overboard we will have absolutely no chance of spotting you."

I've often wondered the same thing. We do we wear a uniform that would make us impossible to spot if we went over the side?

I agree sore current ODU is almost the exact same it's blue like the water. But we need to something that turns bright orange if exposed to saltwater.
    lilq824

--
    20 Jan 2017 10:36 AM
    Posted By disciplecore on 20 Jan 2017 10:00 AM
    Posted By Gears on 19 Jan 2017 10:03 AM

I agree sore current ODU is almost the exact same it's blue like the water. But we need to something that turns bright orange if exposed to saltwater.

But then wouldn't everyone just be in a constant state of having bright orange spots on their nice blue ODUs? Can't win. haha.
    FilthyEcho1

--
    23 Jan 2017 03:33 PM
    Well maybe if we were under fire, we could all jump in the water to hide from the enemy in an attempt to abandon ship...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    23 Jan 2017 03:36 PM
    Posted By FilthyEcho1 on 23 Jan 2017 03:33 PM
    Well maybe if we were under fire, we could all jump in the water to hide from the enemy in an attempt to abandon ship...

Thats my thoughts , qe have a pfd and survival vest to be seen if we want to be seen. Im sure witin the next 10 years we will transition into digital cammo like the navy. My thoughts are with the new people in washington we will see a bigger coastguard than ever before adopting a lot of the other services good ideas.
    FilthyEcho1

--
    23 Jan 2017 05:14 PM
    I saw recently a worker form "department of public safety" wearing the exact same uniform as coast guard, boots and pants, just without the emblem. Kind of dumb..
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    23 Jan 2017 05:23 PM
    Posted By FilthyEcho1 on 23 Jan 2017 05:14 PM
    I saw recently a worker form "department of public safety" wearing the exact same uniform as coast guard, boots and pants, just without the emblem. Kind of dumb..

Not dumb, they are 1 of the 7 uniformed services of the usa. I believe this is one of the Epme questions. 
    They have a long history like ours.... should we have a different odu than them ? No in my opinion. 
    FilthyEcho1

--
    23 Jan 2017 05:58 PM
    I agree with you, I wasn't aware they were one of the seven!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    23 Jan 2017 09:22 PM
    Posted By FilthyEcho1 on 23 Jan 2017 05:58 PM
    I agree with you, I wasn't aware they were one of the seven!

Yea not too many people do, noaa as well.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    24 Jan 2017 12:06 AM
    The Navy is dumping the blue camo and going with a green camo after over a 200 million expense to the tax payer and ten years of use. The Army ACU pattern is also being eliminated after millions of dollars in expense. Thank God the USCG has adults in charge with common sense.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jan 2017 01:07 PM
    Department of Public Safety???? The seven Uniformed Services are Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service and National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    24 Jan 2017 03:11 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 24 Jan 2017 01:07 PM
    Department of Public Safety???? The seven Uniformed Services are Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service and National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.

Thinking he means health, they wear the same uniform as we do.
     dps is like state police they have their own uniforms. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    24 Jan 2017 05:11 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 24 Jan 2017 12:06 AM
    Thank God the USCG has adults in charge with common sense.
    After nearly 17 years in the CG, I might question the accuracy of that statement!

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jan 2017 09:03 AM
    Chief, My ex retired after 30 as an O6... If he is the adult with common sense in charge, the CG was in deep trouble. He is retired now, maybe the CG has recovered. LOL (That is actually said with great love and admiration of his career... But I've seen the man skinny deep in the Russian River in Kodiak in February... I have the pictures to back it up, too LOL)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    25 Jan 2017 11:54 AM
    There are Adults in Charge and then there are Adults in Charge. Once the land and air forces wore green fatigues ,then we went to BDU's which made sense for the war fighters and made the USAF feel better about ourselves. Then the Marines developed a kick ass camo uniform and the dragon name organizational interests said if the Marines can have there own camo's why can't we. This was also right after 9/11 when DOD was getting a lot of money in the budget. So the Army spends give or take a few dollars almost 5 billion on developing and issuing the ACU and molle gear to go with it. The USAF has their own pattern and then the Navy not wanting to left behind develops there own only to have someone point out that the material can melt in a fire after spending around 200 million.

Can anyone imagine what the Coast Could have done with all the money the sisters services spent on camo uniforms that in the end didn't meet the requirements.

I really was concerned when I saw the recruits wearing the pattern because I thought here come the hand me downs.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement