Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining the coast guard reserve
Last Post 30 Mar 2017 05:39 PM by CPORJM. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Karanja

--
24 Jan 2017 08:43 PM
    Hello guys, I am married and a green card holder.I want to join the coast guard reserve but want to find out if the coast guard helps green card holders attain their citizenship like the other branches of the military?

Also,what is the minimum number of years I can sign on to the coast guard?

Lastly, It is possible you will not be deployed to a war zone?
    Erieguard14

--
    17 Feb 2017 09:30 AM
    I have had an age waiver into to Coast guard Recruiting Command for 2 to 3 weeks now to get back into the reserves. My recruiter and my self have not heard from the command to see if they have even received the waiver in an email. It's the only item, I am told by my recruiter holding me up from getting back to my PSU unit, how long does it take to receive these emails back and signed by coast guard command?

Thank you,
    James Aaron Miller
    seachaser186

--
    19 Feb 2017 06:05 PM
    Yes it is possible you won't be deployed to a war zone but it is also possible you will. You serve to the needs of the service and the Coast Guard is a branch of the Military. Pretty simple, my opinion is if your worried about being deployed maybe this is not for you.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Feb 2017 10:23 AM
    Posted By seachaser186 on 19 Feb 2017 07:05 PM
    Yes it is possible you won't be deployed to a war zone but it is also possible you will. You serve to the needs of the service and the Coast Guard is a branch of the Military. Pretty simple, my opinion is if your worried about being deployed maybe this is not for you.

The chances of a Reservist being deployed to a combat zone are pretty slim, unless they're assigned to a Port Security Unit. Even that is fairly unlikely anymore, given the PSU's mission in the mid East is non existent.  Could that change with world events? Sure. I will say a Reservist at a small boat station or Sector isn't going to be deployed to any hostile fire zones.  

Overall, Reservists are being activated/deployed less and less these days, due to the budget.  There has to be a real defined need to justify the expense.  I say this with 16 years CGR experience behind me and can recall a time when active duty orders were there pretty much for the asking.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Feb 2017 09:52 AM
    A PSU, I'm sorry I can't remember which one, was just deployed for 9 months. So it is happening currently. I don't see where it will completely stop. But there is no way of saying yes this one will, no that one won't.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    21 Feb 2017 01:41 PM
    There are PSU's still deploying to Guantanamo Bay, but that's not a combat zone. It's strictly for security of Naval assets. Talking to folks that have been there, it's a pretty laid back deployment
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    vince

--
    30 Mar 2017 03:00 PM
    Do you have to go to the 7 week bootcamp if you join reserve?

I have a full time job and surely I could take weekends and nights off, however leaving for a month and a half -doubtful it would fy with my employer
     (yes, I know in therory they have to let you. go...)
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 Mar 2017 05:39 PM
    Posted By vince on 30 Mar 2017 04:00 PM
    Do you have to go to the 7 week bootcamp if you join reserve?

I have a full time job and surely I could take weekends and nights off, however leaving for a month and a half -doubtful it would fy with my employer
     (yes, I know in therory they have to let you. go...)
    It depends whether or not you qualify for DEPOT (3 week boot camp).  DEPOT is for those coming into the CGR on the basis of their civilian job skills or educational level.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement