Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
PCS & 1st Phone call
Last Post 07 Feb 2017 11:39 AM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Vane

--
26 Jan 2017 11:04 PM
    I am new to this and just realized that I posted the below in the wrong forum.... Im such a dope...... can anyone assist with the below?
    My husband left for boot camp on 01/03/17 (Yankee 193) and he is midway through week 4, when will he receive his PCS orders and WHEN CAN HE CALL HOME! This is the longest we have been apart in 8 years and my son and I are going BANANAS without him.. Is there a light at of the end of the tunnel?? 
    I've read some military sites that read that he will not be able to call home until the Sunday of the 7th week, is this correct? 
    Thank you
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jan 2017 05:46 AM
    You aren't a dope, you're new to this. No worries. I'll delete the other post since there are no responses yet.

He will get orders next week, week 5. Then they can call home to give you the news. As hard as it will be, just really try to listen. He will give you a lot of information in a little amount of time. The call will last only about 5 minutes. It can come as early as Friday, could be as late as Sunday. When it used to be pay phones, calls could take several days. But I think they allow some to use their cell phones. If not, area code 609 is what you want to look for.

Saturday of week 6 they are granted on base liberty, if earned. He can call home all he wants that day, talk forever, no problems. Saturday of week 7 they are granted off base liberty, again he can call. Don't forget to let him enjoy time with his shipmates. Those 2 days are the only real times they get to be friends and not just recruits. So when he says they're going to eat or a movie or something, just say I love you and call me later. He needs you... he needs time with his shipmates too. So don't worry if he wants to hang up.

Any other questions, ask away. We're here to help however we can. Congratulations and best of luck. Are you secretly hoping for one place or another???
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Vane

--
    27 Jan 2017 08:57 AM
    Thank you!!
    As for giving him his own time, noted and i will do my best.... Im excited that i get to hear his voice

Yes, secretly we are hoping for Alaska (our top pick), or the east coast , we are from So Cal and we are really hoping for a change. I did look up the check list for qualifying for OCONUS and i know that if we do get Alaska, we will be secluded and it could be difficult for me to find a job ... Do you think we have a good chance of being stationed in Alaska?

Once he calls me with his orders, is there anything I can do anything to make the relocation process smoother ??? do you have any Do's or Don'ts?

Thank you again
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    27 Jan 2017 10:38 AM
    Have you joined his companies face book page?
    Vane

--
    27 Jan 2017 11:00 AM
    I don't have a Facebook 😕
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jan 2017 02:13 PM
    No matter where you are going, have your stuff organized and ready to be packed. Don't pack anything for yourself. They will need to repack everything. Be sure things are clean... they WILL pack full trashcans, dirty ashtrays, plates with food on them... You would be amazed the bizarre stuff I've seen get packed, even more bizarre getting unpacked! LOL Movers in general are very honest but watch them. There is always a bad apple somewhere, sadly.

Alaska can be secluded. I lived there for 10 years. We were on Kodiak and then Valdez. After I left my Coastie, he went back, did a tour in Anchorage and 2 in Juneau. It is gorgeous!!! Our son was born on Kodiak. Hopefully you have a profession that is easy to move around. Let us know if we can help with anything.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Vane

--
    27 Jan 2017 06:21 PM
    If we do get stationed in Alaska, would we have issues flying our pet. She's a 3 lb Pup and I remember reading somewhere that they will not fly dogs during certain times of the year due to the climate. But Alaska is always pretty cold right?!?!?

As for my profession I'm in transportation ocean/ air LTL and FTL, someone always needs something shipped 😊 So hopefully I can find something.
    Vane

--
    06 Feb 2017 06:06 PM
    I got the call yesterday, and hearing his voice just filled me with so much joy !!1
    We are heading to Merrimack River-MA
    Does anyone have any pointers on the area??
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Feb 2017 11:18 AM
    I'm so sorry I missed your question a couple of weeks ago. Flying with a pet isn't that difficult. But that's off the table for this transfer. Fingers crossed for another time. Alaska isn't always cold, it will be the first year you are there, when you get there some day. But by the second year, you'll see people just coming in and wearing scarves in July and you'll laugh because it will be warm to you. LOL

Congratulations on the orders. My son's first assignment out of boot camp was a cutter in Boston. He loved Massachusetts. I don't know the unit... hopefully someone with some knowledge will come along and have an answer or some help. Hearing their voice that first time after so long is so wonderful!!!!! I'll see if I can find some info... I'll post back if I find anything.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Feb 2017 11:39 AM
    This looks good, even a live webcam so you can see Newbury right now.
    https://www.newburyport.com/us-coast-guard/

I was looking for the Unit Page but there isn't one. They do have a facebook page. I can't attach a link to facebook from here at work but it shouldn't be hard to find. I'm excited for you. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement