Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Civilian/Training to be AST
Last Post 20 Feb 2017 06:57 PM by TheLonelyOS. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
llessuryort

--
31 Jan 2017 03:08 PM
    Hello,

I'm a regular Joe civilian, looking to push myself and get into the AST program. Graduated college with a bachelors in electrical engineering, but never really felt that suited my personality. I've been in engineering outside school for about 4 years now, and want to utilize my interests in a good way. I enjoy climbing, and various adventure sports/activities, and hope to put some of this to good use.

I've been training outside work as often as I can. I think I'm doing pretty well, however, the thing that I struggle with most is swimming. I was never part of a swim team, or any organized swim programs before, so I'm basically a novice in that aspect. I was practicing on my own and got my 500 yard swim down to 11:36, using a sort of side stroke. Until I got some help from a friend, I struggled with breathing while freestyle swimming. Now, I'm still a novice, but at least I have the basics down. Just spend more time in the pool.

About two months ago, I got my testing done at MEPS, and told to lose weight. Spent the past several weeks losing weight, and working out. Other than missing out on some tasty cookies, I feel like I'm probably in the best shape of my life thus far.

I know I've got a good long road to go before everything starts rolling, but I'm excited, and hope this opportunity presents itself to me.

God bless you all.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    31 Jan 2017 08:31 PM

I went through rescueswimmer school with guys that were close to olympic qualifying and some that struggled with making their times. Some of the ones that struggled in the beginning made it while the fast ones didnt pass. In the ocean its about being a proficient swimmer utilyizing the gear you are given , fins tri sar harness , dry suit etc. Some cant handle the stress. You are far from your goal. You will need to exceed the minimum standards to be successful. Its no joke swimming in 20ft seas in a storm towing a 250lb injured fisherman.

Practice your water confidence , underwater sprints anf get that diet in check.
    Work on your freestyle stroke , its what they use. Get lessons professionally . Practice practice practice, my times were drastically improved once i mastered it. Its all about the timing of the stroke, having your cardio in check and being confident.

Thr ast rate is the toughest but its 2 years of hardwork to have 18 year career that consist of standing duty saving lives , fixing survival gear , sewing , call of duty and camping a lot . Best rate out there.

I am a naval aviation rescueswimmer graduate
    And i got through the 6 month airman program and  got to week 5 of ast a school and was injured , I moved on. 
    Goodluck 

"The only easy day was yesterday"
    llessuryort

--
    02 Feb 2017 09:20 AM
    disciplecore,

I appreciate the feedback. I understand it is very difficult, however, I want to do this, and at the very least try. So, I will take your words as encouragement.

Thank you for your service.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Feb 2017 07:29 PM
    Did you have a question? I'm not sure I saw one.
    llessuryort

--
    03 Feb 2017 09:02 AM
    mkelly,

I was merely making introductions of myself.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Feb 2017 10:00 AM
    well Awesome. If you have any questions about training, nutrition, being an AST, or the Coast Guard, feel free to ask. Good luck on your journey.
    llessuryort

--
    10 Feb 2017 02:23 PM
    Thanks mkelly.

I appreciate it.

So far, I'm quite pleased with my training. I spend most days of the week working out at least once a day (trying to pull two a days, except I tend to have loads of evening chores/activities/errands to do).

Thus far, my training has been indoors/poolside.

My swimming is still my weakest aspect, but swimming most days of the week has been helpful. The other day, I was able to swim 1x300, 1x100, and 2x50 yard swims all in 11:57. Granted, I did have to take a mild 10 second rest between each sprint. I know I need to swim the full 500 yards in one go, but I am taking steps in the right direction.

I have been running as part of my weekly workouts (handful of times per week). Was able to manage my 1.5 mile run in a about 11:20.

Pushups/Situps/Pull ups/Chin ups - I can manage most, of these my weakest are the pullups/chinups, I can typically manage 5 of each, but am working on these as well.
    sako_hopar

--
    17 Feb 2017 12:30 PM
    I'm not in the Coast Guard yet, but I have very strong desires to become an AST. Meeting the minimum requirements to be accepted into AST A-school is probably not nearly the amount of the physical activity and demands that will be put on you in A School. If you're struggling with the swimming portion or only barely making it, it will probably make A-school very difficult.
    llessuryort

--
    20 Feb 2017 10:01 AM
    sako_hopar,

Hence why I'm doing as much training beforehand. I can swim, but was never part of a competitive swim environment, and I understand I have a ways to go before anything occurs. Either way, I can sort of prepare myself as best I can.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    20 Feb 2017 06:57 PM
    Biggest thing I've heard is just plain water confidence. I swam for 10 years in competition and I was training with ASTs before my flight physical and they were all pretty serious in the pool. They kicked my butt a good bit but I held my own as best I could.

I would look at getting on a strict swim plan. Swimming a 500 yard freestyle in 11:36 is ok for a normal person but I was training with guys that were around 7 or 8 minutes and that was just one part of the workout.

If you want swim workouts just google them and stick to the free style ones.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement