Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining the Coast Guard at 28 with a family
Last Post 06 Mar 2017 11:09 AM by CoastieAce27. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Nfisher0003

--
04 Feb 2017 07:31 AM
    I have been seriously considering enlisting for a few months now. I enlisted in the Navy when I was younger but was sent home during basic due to a foot injury. I never went back because I realized I was using the Navy as a way to run from things. This time it is completely different, I really want to serve my country and do something that can make a difference.
      Now is the hard part. I am 28, married, and have a 2 year old girl. I have a good job as an elevator constructor and I am able to comfortably provide for my family. Its not that I hate my job, but rather that it gives no fulfillment at all. I suspect that my wife is going to be most concerned about finances and just the lifestyle change that would occur. I don't want to male a totally selfish decision and my family have to suffer because of it.
      Was wanting to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Also any info about family life in the Coast Guard as far as providing a comfortable life for your family, is the housing allowance enough for a decent place, how hard is it on the kid, etc. 
     Tried to just work my 40 and go about my life but it is getting to the point that having a career in the Coast Guard is all I think about all day. Thanks for any tips or advice
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    04 Feb 2017 11:28 AM
    If you are lucky and have a great wife then I say follow your heart. That being said look at the payscale charts and see if changing what you are doing makes sense for your families future.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Feb 2017 05:05 PM
    You're right at the age cut off for Active Duty, but a waiver may be possible. The base pay for an E-2, which is the pay grade you'll have out of boot camp is 1793.40/month before taxes.. How does that stack up to what you're making now? However, you'll also be provided either Government housing or receive BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing). BAH amount will vary as it's dependent on your pay grade, your ZIP Code of assignement, and whether or not you have dependents. Additionally, you get medical coverage and life insurance.

Some things to be aware of, though. You could be assigned to a cutter that's out 90 days or so at a time. Is your wife prepared for this, and does she have the ability to deal with the inevitable crises that will take place while you're gone? You'll be transferring every four years, if you decide to make a career out of the CG. That can be tough on kids.

If you're interested in serving, but want to keep your current job, you might consider the CG Reserve. You do two days/month, two weeks of active duty/year, and have the opportunities for periods of active duty. You also get many of the benefits available to AD personnel, including life insurance, optional medical insurance, and the ability to shop at the Exchange and Commissary.

Just my $.02
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    04 Feb 2017 08:16 PM
    If pay is a big concern, look up base pay amounts for whatever rNk you'd come in as and BAH rates for your current zip code. That will give you an idea of your total pay compared to whatever you make now. Also look at how pay increases as you rank up, because you should be making E4 within a few years max of joining.

The biggest caveat is that if your wife currently works, you may not be able to depend on her continuing to work throughout your CG career. In some locations it is a lot harder for spouses to find full time work that's equivalent to what they did pre-CG.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    06 Feb 2017 03:21 PM
    Age limit was raised this year to 32. Tough decision man. I have 4 kids and I do fine.
    CoastieAce27

--
    06 Mar 2017 11:09 AM
    Dude, me and you are in the exact same boat. I'm turning 28 this year and married + 1 son. I joined the CG Aux last year to try and see what the CG is like. I love it bro. My wife is all for it. I just have to get my weight down to standards which will take about a year. ^^You're exactly right, age limit has been raised to 32.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement