Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Flight school
Last Post 14 Feb 2017 06:54 PM by Krysta.Ande. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Krysta.Ande

--
13 Feb 2017 02:33 PM
    I've been putting together my OCS packet and have done quite a bit of research but always looking for more. My main ambition is to apply for flight school and I know about  the competitiveness and thorough process involved, so there are other career paths as a USCG officer that I am happy to pursue if flight school doesn't work out for me. That being said, I still have questions about flight school.  Recently I saw that there is an age limit for flight school (28 yrs old), is that correct? If my 29th birthday is in Sept does that mean I've already missed my window of opportunity for flight school? Are there waivers?

P.S. any other useful information you'd like to leave about flight school and USCG pilots is welcomed as well!

Best Regards
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    13 Feb 2017 03:40 PM
    This is right off of gocoastguard.com where your research should have started:

CAREER FIELDS

We offer Officer Programs in a variety of fields including:

law
    environmental
    aviation
    engineering
    command, control, communications
    computer & information technologies
    intelligence

As for age for flight school, you may have gotten age 28 from one of my postings. I won't lie to you, that may have changed according to the more recent flight training solicitation messages. It used to be plainly printed on application requirements but I don't see it anymore.

The more recent solicitations state that any active duty CG officer in the grade of O-1 or 0-2 may apply. Of course you have to meet other requirements like a flight physical and complete the ASTB with a successful score. There are some other restrictions as well like height and weight, but nowhere does it state an age. I am a bit skeptical because I have known 40 year old O-2s and I don't think they would be invited to play so I am sure there is a caveat somewhere. The Navy still has that age requirement to go through flight training but I don't know if they hold other service pilots going through the training to the same requirement.

As for flight school and USCG pilots, here is all you need to know at this point. Flight school is incredibly hard and USCG pilots are awesome. Worry about the rest after you get through OCS and the selection process to be a pilot. It is a long way away.

DCA1234

--
    13 Feb 2017 04:21 PM
    "...where your research should have started."

To be fair I don't think there was a question about what other career fields are out there.

Keep digging krysta.ande. Maybe the recruiter can get you in touch with the right people (maybe cadre at OCS?) to answer that question. It sounds like if you didn't get aviation it wouldn't be a deal breaker, and that you are just curious to see if you are even eligible! Good luck!
    Krysta.Ande

--
    14 Feb 2017 06:54 PM
    DCA1234, thank you. That's exactly it, I'm interested in most of the USCG officer programs so not getting into flight school is not a deal breaker for me, but I am curious because that is something I would really prefer to do if given the opportunity. My apologies that I didn't make that clear in my original post, sardaddy. And thank you as well, for the info. That is helpful. My main concern was if I had missed that there was an age limit somewhere I wasn't seeing and was pursuing flight school if it wasn't even an option for me because of the age.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement