Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Getting through boot camp
Last Post 21 Mar 2017 05:52 AM by DreamBig. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
gmanderson

--
17 Feb 2017 03:03 PM
    Hello, this is my first post on here, but I am wondering how you make it through boot camp? My husband is at boot camp now and is part of Charlie company 194. They are in week 2 right now and I have received 1 letter from him. I am the type of person that likes knowing things, so the not knowing is killing me. I love and miss my husband greatly and wish I could hear his voice. I know that I will receive a phone call during week 5 and then during week 6 and 7, as long as they have earned their liberty. I am trying hard to keep myself busy, but it doesn't seem to be working right now. So, I am wondering if someone could give me some advice as to how to stay sane during this time and how to make it to March 31st, which is when he graduates. 

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any advice that is given. 
    Dillonlyn

--
    17 Feb 2017 08:03 PM
    Hey, Iv been searching threw here trying to find some support. My girlfriend shipped out February 14th. I am so proud of her and love her so much, but I am kinda having the same trouble you are, I like to know things and it does kill me not being able to hear from her. I'm also finding it hard to keep busy, even with 2 jobs. Everyonce in a while my mind wanders off. My biggest thing right now is she said family memebers are supposed to revive post cards telling what company and unit they are in. I'd like to ask you when you revived that post card, if you did revive it at all. I'm trying to find ways to stay sane and I think this forum will help so, even though I don't have any advice maybe someone else can help us out and maybe we can even give each other advice.
    I appreciate the time if your reading this and can't wait to hear back from anyone with advice!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    m1ashooter

--
    17 Feb 2017 09:55 PM
    First have you joined the companies facebook page? It is an outstanding way to stay in touch with people going down the same road. No news from your husband is very good news. This eight weeks of separation is good practice for what you will face if your husband is assigned to a big white cutter. They will normally be gone seven to eight weeks at a time.
    gmanderson

--
    19 Feb 2017 07:29 PM
    I did receive a letter from my husband after his first week and also received a letter from the Cape may with information about his address and company, but I knew which company he was in before he left. He is moving into week 3 now and I know I will be getting another letter from him soon. I am part of the facebook page which is helping, but I want to hear his voice. I know he will get to call me in week 5, but that seems so far away right now. I am hoping that the next few weeks fly by. The days seem like they are flying by when I am working and working on my masters homework, but when I am not doing something it feels like 5 minutes only lasts a hour. I am trying to find more things to do and trying to set little deadlines to help get me through each week, which is also helping. I know this is preparing me for the possibility of him being stationed on a cutter, but we are praying that he is able to go into the pre-AST training program after boot camp. I think the one thing that gets me through each day is knowing that I am one day closer to seeing him. My parents and the gym are also helping me stay a little sane.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Feb 2017 11:31 AM
    we are praying that he is able to go into the pre-AST training program after boot camp.

Would you mind filling us in on this?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    HammerheaD

--
    01 Mar 2017 08:18 AM
    While I was at a-school in Elizabeth city, I heard from some of the swimmers that a new program was starting that was basically a trial period for people going AST. If I'm not mistaken, people who are set to get orders to AST a-school will go to this trial period about a month or two before they actually start school to make sure they know what they're getting into, and that they are fit and prepared. I think it has something to do with trying to combat the high drop out rate due to people not being ready. This is what I've heard and it could be wrong.

Noyo

--
    04 Mar 2017 11:33 AM
    I just graduated with Y-193, one of my shipmates voiced his desire to be an AST and they gave him orders to the gym at TRACEN Cape May so he can train with the ASTs. Its not any official program and I would recon that it's rare to be taken in, but that path does exist. Getting stationed at an air station is also a good opportunity to train with the ASTs.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Mar 2017 09:50 AM
    one of my shipmates voiced his desire to be an AST and they gave him orders to the gym at TRACEN Cape May so he can train with the ASTs.

That's an interesting opportunity. I wonder what they did to stand out. I'm sure there's more to it than just, "I want to be an AST."
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Noyo

--
    13 Mar 2017 06:30 PM
    Posted By Gears on 09 Mar 2017 10:50 AM
    one of my shipmates voiced his desire to be an AST and they gave him orders to the gym at TRACEN Cape May so he can train with the ASTs.

That's an interesting opportunity. I wonder what they did to stand out. I'm sure there's more to it than just, "I want to be an AST."

During the week 4 PT test, this shipmate's performance stood out, and the Chief running the gym offered him to stay and train.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    15 Mar 2017 01:16 PM
    I got offered this same position when I was there because I wanted to go AST as well. I stood out during the swim and got offered to stay there and teach remedial swim while I trained for AST. Chose a boat over it but speak up during training for it. You'd be surprised how much they listen.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Mar 2017 02:11 PM
    Obviously Lonely chose another path over AST. I agree that you should choose a unit over staying and training. Right now AST might look like the be all to end all and it might end up being that way for you. You also may head out into the fleet and see an OS or MK or CS (formerly FS) in action and think WOW, that really seems more to my liking. If you pigeon hole yourself before you even get to boot camp or before you even get to really experience some of the CG, you might end up regretting it.

There was another young man on this forum, 8 years ago. I know because he was in my son's boot camp company. He was all about AST. That was all he wanted. He is quite a successful MST now. You just never know what you might find out there when you look. You may also stay with your original gut feeling and that's just as awesome. Just be sure that it is the right gut feeling.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    19 Mar 2017 06:09 PM
    So what was passed to us from our Rating Force Master Chief is a pre-AST A-school pipeline in the works. If a recruit stands out he/she will be offered a spot at Cape May or a unit close to a Airstation to train and shadow us. This might be a small boat station, sector or airstation, anything that will hopefully keep him training and not underway. It was also mentioned there is a 1 week program of sending AST candidates to E-city to be shown whats in store for them. The attrition rate of our school is still really high for obvious reason and the rate is short ASTs. This is "their" way of trying to meet those numbers. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and here is mine. If you are truly set on becoming an AST you will be success and become one. We have guys that went through school 3 to 4 times and made it. They didn't want to do anything else except become a Rescue Swimmer, Just like myself. I heard all the stories on my boat about making sure you have a back up plan, look into other rates blah blah blah but for anyone that has been to our school, you spend a lot of time under water and a lot of time thinking. If there is that option B then that will dwell and grow. I hope this helped you and good luck to your husband, he has a long road a head but i promise you he wont regret it if he makes it.
    DreamBig

--
    21 Mar 2017 05:52 AM
    This is definitely something I want. To stand out is that referring to fitness tests? Or anything else? Do I need to tell someone I want to do this?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement