Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Week 1 PT test
Last Post 25 Feb 2017 12:48 PM by Garrettribble99. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Garrettribble99

--
21 Feb 2017 12:23 AM
    Okay I ship out in about 35 days, have my first dep meeting this Saturday. I'm wondering what happens if I fail my PT test at my first dep meeting. I can do between 25-30 push ups and about 30-40 sit ups in 1 minute. My 1.5 mile run bounces between 11:30 and 12:30 best time being around 10:30.
    Will they push back my ship date? 
    Also week 1 PT test at bootcamp if I had the same push ups and set ups as mentioned above would I be sent home? 
    I run every evening and am up at 5 AM every morning to go run. Push ups and sit ups at night. Just nervous about being sent home 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLonelyOS

--
    21 Feb 2017 03:23 AM
    So you are good for the standard now. Just keep pushing at it with your schedule and you'll be fine. I was around your numbers when I left and I made it just fine.

No need to stress yourself out.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    rtbwmu

--
    21 Feb 2017 07:56 AM
    I would switch between days for your exercises.  So run every other day and do pushups/situps the days you aren't running.  You will actually build muscle faster that way.  And make sure on your runs you are switching it up between longer endurance runs (at least 2.5 miles at comfortable pace) and shorter sprints (1-1.5 miles fast). 

With that being said, it looks like you are hitting the bare minimums anyways, so I wouldn't be overly worried about passing your PT test. 
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    21 Feb 2017 09:49 PM
    Its not going to hurt you to do push ups and core stability every day. You won't have any problems building muscle if you're only doing body weight exercise. You'll reach a peak with mass for the most part and continue on with muscular endurance after that. You'll do Push ups, flutter kicks, and sit ups every day in boot camp. You might as well get used to the stress of it now. Look at the 100 push up challenge if you need a push up program.
    Its better to go into a situation knowing you're better than the minimum. Keep getting better. Keep pushing and improving and don't let the minimum be good enough for you. There is only one way to not be nervous about being sent home and that is to exceed the expectations and know that you have done everything you can to prepare.
    rtbwmu

--
    22 Feb 2017 07:12 AM
    I agree that it will not harm you, but you will absolutely build muscle faster taking a day off in between working the same muscle groups. 
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    22 Feb 2017 05:08 PM
    I guess it all depends on what the goals are. If the Goals are to build muscle, then you need to be doing more than just body weight push ups and sit ups. If your goals are to get used to daily push for 8 weeks, then you better be able to handle the stress of daily push ups, throughout the entire day, and with lots of sets, before you get to boot camp.
    If you are just doing push ups and you can manage between 25-30 push ups, it is highly unlikely that you are stressing the muscles enough where they need to take a day off to fully recover and repair. If you start to mix in some bench press with heavier weights or you are doing large push up sets until complete muscle failure, then you should take some time off while working opposing muscle groups to be balanced.
    It all really depends on when your ship date is and where exactly you are physically and mentally. If you are already thinking about being sent home for not passing the PT test, then you have your work cut out for you mentally and physically. You want to go into boot camp off a little bit of a taper and feeling fresh but confident you can handle the PT test no problem.
    I can promise you that you will not feel rested, recovered, and stress free during your first PT test. I'd also recommend getting in some shoulder stability exercises and work your core more.
    Garrettribble99

--
    23 Feb 2017 12:15 AM
    I know I'll do okay in bootcamp I have the motavation, I had to loose close to 60lbs to meet my weight requirements before my recruiter would even talk to me. I do still get very sore from push-ups though, I do 5 sets of 25 push-ups and 5 sets of 50 sit ups pretty much every night. I'll check out the 100 push-up challenge. I ship out March 28th, have roughly 30 days till then. Have the helmsman pretty much memorized except explaining rank insignia that's a tough one. Thanks everyone!
    Garrettribble99

--
    25 Feb 2017 12:48 PM
    Passed with 31 push ups 43 sit ups and 12:15 1.5 mile. Now just have to get helmsman down.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement