Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST Paramedic?
Last Post 03 Mar 2017 05:02 PM by mkelly. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ChronicNerditis

--
03 Mar 2017 09:50 AM
    I currently work as an EMT-B in a small city called Fredericksburg. I am already in the recruitment process with the Coast Guard, however I am not sure what A school I wish to go to. I love being an EMT, if I don't go into the Coast Guard I will definitely stay a civilian EMT and work in public service. Recently I was offered a spot in an accelerated Paramedic course. My recruiter advised me to forgo it and join as an AST, but I am unsure if AST training offers paramedic as an option; and if it does if the certifications line up with the civilian world. There would be no point in me forgoing the class if the training does not give me anything that I can use in the civilian world. I was wondering if anybody here could shed some light on AST medical training, I know the CG utilizes EMTs, however I am unsure if they utilize Paramedics and provide the training.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    03 Mar 2017 10:55 AM
    ASTs receive nationally certified EMT training. If you are nationally certified already you won't need it. The CG does not send ASTs for paramedic training. It is not a level of service we provide. I have worked with one AST that was a paramedic and I believe he told me he put himself through the school while active. Even though he was certified he could only technically provide up to EMT care. Being an AST is not a for sure thing, it's tough training. You won't join as an AST, you'll be afforded the opportunity to try to be an AST. Kind of a tough call for you. It comes down to what you really want and if your second guessing right now, it may be better for you to look into that paramedic training.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Mar 2017 12:11 PM
    Fredericksburg is anything but a small city. We owned a house there, lived on Middleton Dr by Chancellor Elementary. I liked it there a lot.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Mar 2017 05:02 PM
    Take the accelerated paramedic course if its something you would like to do. If you're not in the Coast Guard right now, the road to becoming an AST is most likely over a year away. Like AirDale said, becoming an AST is not a for sure thing. Something to think about is that keeping up with your CEU's as a paramedic while in the Coast Guard will be solely up to you, on your own time and there aren't many jobs where you will be able to practice those skills.
    If you end up working up in Alaska you will get some extra training on top of EMT that will allow you to use IV's but thats about it. As an AST, you will not likely be approved to use your paramedic skills. There isn't room on the 65 to carry much more equipment and there isn't much funding for it either. You would also have to find a flight surgeon that would be comfortable allowing you to use your skills under him. If you were a paramedic and in the Coast Guard, you would most likely have to pick up shifts outside of work to continue to do that stuff with a local company.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement