Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
In the DEP but want to change my contract from 4 year to 6 year
Last Post 27 Mar 2017 02:40 PM by thestormiscoming. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Garrettribble99

--
06 Mar 2017 09:42 AM
    So I've sworn into the DEP and signed my contract and everything. I am wanting to change my enlistment time to 6 years instead of the 4 year contract i signed. Is that possible I ship to boot in about 3 weeks. I was never offered the 6 year contract in the first place. Thanks
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Mar 2017 10:16 AM
    Is there any benefit to you signing for six vs four and have you asked your recruiter?
    Garrettribble99

--
    06 Mar 2017 04:45 PM
    Well I was thinking about it, AMT has a 15-17 month waiting list with 5 months of school, and that's not including the 6 months of time before putting your name on the school list. That would only leave you working in that rate for roughly 2 years. I plan to make it a career so a 6 year contract would be best for me. My recruiter agreed to let me change it.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    06 Mar 2017 05:15 PM
    You would have had to extend your contract after "A" school to do a full tour and pay back your time from school either way. If you make it though AMT school, they are going to want you to stay in unless you get terrible EER's and get in trouble. It really wouldn't matter if you had a 4 year or a 6 year contract. The only real difference is if you get masted and they don't kick you out immediately, you would have an extra 2 years on your contract.
    Garrettribble99

--
    06 Mar 2017 10:20 PM
    So either way you'll end up with a 6 year contract. I'm changing it for that reason and I'll come out of boot an E-3. My recruiter tried to talk me into staying with the 4 year. Maybe because of the paperwork.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    06 Mar 2017 11:02 PM
    Coming out as a E3 makes sense to me for a 6 year contract. More money is more in your pocket.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    07 Mar 2017 09:21 AM
    The pay difference between E-2 and E-3 isn't very much and it won't take long at all to advance from E-2 to E-3. In the big picture, it really is negligible. I doubt it was the paper work that the recruiter was worried about. Making a 6 year commitment to a job you have never done and don't know you will like is a long time. I'm assuming the recruiter was just looking out for you. Its really easy to extend your contract or reenlist once you're in. It is very hard to get out of the 6 year commitment if you don't like that job. Either way, congrats on the enlistment and enjoy your journey.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Mar 2017 12:15 PM
    My son enlisted for 6. Between A School extension, duty assignment extension, something else... He reenlisted this past August and last month he put on his second lifer stripe. He was 6 months short of being in 8 years before he had to reenlist for the first time. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    14 Mar 2017 06:27 PM
    It's not hard for your recruiter to switch it from a 4 to 6 year. He just actually has to do it. It's literally an email that is sent to update it.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    27 Mar 2017 02:40 PM
    Posted By Garrettribble99 on 06 Mar 2017 10:20 PM
    So either way you'll end up with a 6 year contract. I'm changing it for that reason and I'll come out of boot an E-3. My recruiter tried to talk me into staying with the 4 year. Maybe because of the paperwork.

You actually go into basic as an E3 with the six year enlistment.  The date of grade starts the day you ship/swear-in.  This means if you go to a critical rating school or a short wait rating you'll likely graduate as an E4 since you'll knock out 2 of the 6 months needed in time-in-grade for advancement from E3 to E4 while in basic.

You're also making several hundreds of dollars more a month in basic pay than an E1 enlistment/E2 graduate over those first 8 months in service AND you're above the E2s on the A school lists.  For those making this a career, it is a no brain-er to take the 6 year/E3 option.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement